“Well Deserved Ratings”

Ranked #10 of 206 Restaurants in La Mesa
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Great menu with a wide variety of food items. Great wine list featuring lesser known wineries with good wine at a good value. I had a celebration dinner with my family to recognized our SDSU graduate. Everyone had a great meal. Good food, good drink, good prices and unpretentious. If you like those traits, you'll love this restaurant.

2  Thank travlin_cpl
There are newer reviews for The Vine Cottage

Reviewed April 25, 2014

My wife and I were visiting family in Santee and one evening went out, looking for a nice meal. We like to try one-off restaurants whenever we can, and The Vine Cottage came up as the number one restaurant in La Mesa. We went there and were not disappointed. The menu is eclectic, the portions were European-sized (this is a good thing), the service was impeccable, and the ambience was charming. We had the bruschetta for a starter. The topping was fab, but the bread was on the crispy side, so the toppings fell off the bread and called for the use of a fork (and my fingers). For our main plates, I had the Prime Braised Beef Short Ribs, which was tender and succulent, and my wife pronounced her Seared Loch Duart Scottish Salmon with Herbes perfect in every way. The Salmon is worth an extra comment. My wife does not care for Salmon that is cooked rare. This Salmon was cooked throughout and remained perfectly moist and tender. Well done, Vine Cottage! Our server was also perfect, with a willingness to engage in as much or as little conversation as we desired (and at different times during the meal, we desired each.) My one quibble would be that I thought the wine list was somewhat limited and the pricing ramped up pretty quickly. Hopefully the cellar is a work in progress.

1  Thank Dean H
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We lucked into the The Vine Cottage because I got a survey asking me to vote for the best restaurant in La Mesa, and I had never heard of it. My husband and I have been there twice now, and it really does fill a niche market. Small, with only maybe 10 tables in the main room (more in the bar area and on the patio), it is a cozy little spot, with extremely friendly and accommodating staff, a shortish but nice permanent wine list and a rotating list of beers that are written up on the chalkboard. The menus (lunch and dinner vary somewhat) are not lengthy but somehow offer broad variety--focusing on savory items, with a nice selection of salads and varied main courses. They are very "current" in feel with pork belly and duck confit dishes available, as well as pastas, a version of ribs, a very good burger and (at lunch) fish and chips, among other offerings. Fish dishes got rave reviews from nearby diners while we were there. We were impressed that the panna cotta (although served with a jelly "crown"" was in itself soft and delicious, without the rubbery mouth feel that so many have these days as this dessert leaves the purview of really good Italian restaurants and goes mainstream. Well worth a try.

1  Thank LisaSanDiego_CA
Reviewed March 4, 2014

With liquor license in hand again and a restored happy hour, this has once again become my goto place to unwind after a long week. I love all three styles of mussels on the appetizer menu, but it's the wine that really keeps me coming back. The wine list is unique, with many being far more complex then you'll normally find at this price range.

Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Can't believe we havent been here before. Outstanding food and wine, will definitely be back. Salmon and cheese plate were my favorite.