“Good sushi, so-so hot dishes”

Banbu Sushi Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Banbu Sushi Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 206 Restaurants in La Mesa
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We were seated outside by choice and it was very pleasant. Happy hour sushi was very reasonably priced. Drinks were OK. Don't order a osmo, was like soda pop! The grilled sea bass was dry. Too bad. Should have stuck withnthe sushi. One of us ordered firecracker shrimp and declared them delicious. Likewise with lamchops for an appetizer. If you can, go when the large outdoor firepit is lit!

There are newer reviews for Banbu Sushi Bar & Grill

Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is the best sushi place I have found in La Mesa. There are many happy hour roll specials with happy hour lasting all evenings on Monday and Tuesday. There are many kinds of exotic sake. The chicken fried rice is delicious and inexpensive. It has a relatively nice atmosphere considering it is situated in an ugly mall...a stone's throw from a Petco.

I am definitely a repeater here.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I've been to Banbu Sushi at least 20+ times over the last few years. The Food is a bit pricey if you don't go in during happy hour but it's well worth it. The food is very good, I have never had a problem with the food or it's quality. Service is always great even when it's exteremly busy like a Friday night. I have ordered food to go several times here as well and it's great. The garlic edamame is great but so is the baked langosta role, kobe role, onion soup, and chicken bowl. It's located close to me so I will be coming back here and I have introduced this place to several family members and friends who keep coming back.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Eaten here many times and have always left full and happy. Great staff and food, freshest sushi around. Love the spicy tuna roll, you can judge a sushi place by how well they provide this basic dish and I've never been dissappointed.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We were here for happy hour and ordered a bit of everything. The chicken fried rice was perfectly sticky and delicious, and while a bit heavy on the amount of black pepper, it still made for a tasty and spicy appetizer. Our rolls were nicely sized, fitting perfectly into your mouth in one bite. The Norte roll was spicy and the cilantro was a nice touch. We ordered a tempura battered roll which looked like an order of "sliders" (I don't remember the name). It had a very nice presentation and was well worth the happy hour price. Our server was friendly and added to our pleasant dining experience. We enjoyed our visit and would definitely return when in the La Mesa area.