“Not sure why this place is busy”

Hooleys Irish Pub and Grill
Ranked #17 of 206 Restaurants in La Mesa
Cuisines: Irish
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Food is just ok. Better options in the area. Bar is decent and has live music some nights.

There are newer reviews for Hooleys Irish Pub and Grill

Reviewed February 5, 2012

When our orders arrived I realized I made a mistake! But let's back up. We arrived on Saturday night before the Super Bowl. I figured that it would not be crowded (rarity), and I was right. We were seated promptly and our waiter was almost too attentive. He is probably so busy on a Saturday night that a somewhat slower one throws him off. I ordered the homemade poppers with zucchini. The four of us shared it with poppers going to the "boys" and the ladies helped with the zucchini. Deep fried as expected, and the poppers were huge and not very spicy. Very good in spite of that. My son ordered a burger with swiss cheese and corn beef. This was the failure. Greasy and underdone. Fries were good. My daughter-in-law had the Reuben which was thick and excellent. My wife and I went around and around trying to figure out what to order, and she decided on the the Corned Beef and Cabbage. Portion was plentiful and excellent. My Ahi Tuna was fresh and very good, but I kept watching my wife enjoy her meal and secretly hoping that she would be ready for a doggie bag. Finally she had enough, and I totally enjoyed cleaning her plate!

During my college years I lived in a neighborhood in Queens, NY that was filled with wonderful Jewish delis. Granted it was long ago, but I have since been to many other restaurants and delis that serve corned beef, and this place beats most and rivals or beats the best. We will be back, and you can guess what I will order.

Reviewed January 26, 2012

I found this place by accident. It's tacked onto Sports Authority at the back of the Grossmont Center Mall in La Mesa a little east of San Diego, I don't go much to that area except for SDSU down the road a bit. Anyway I was looking for a place to have lunch. I googled for a resturant in the area and found this. That's not normally a way to find a good experience, use yelf or Trip Advisor instead but I fancied pub food so we went there.

It wasn't too busy, it looks like an authentic Irish Pub, darkish inside, people drinking beer and lots of tables to eat at. TV's on the walls etc.. Really welcoming. Service was quite excellent, friendly and fast. In fact when my coffee took slightly too long, and I mean slightly, they comp'd it without being asked to. The food was really tasty and prices were reasonable too.

So food is great, service is great, loads of parking since it's tucked out of the way in the back of the center. I'll be back.

Reviewed December 17, 2011

We have gone back to Hooleys three times this Fall on various visits to La Mesa. Each time we had friendly, helpful service and very good food.

Reviewed September 20, 2011

This was our first trip to Hooleys and it won't be our last. I had the Steak and Mushroom Boxty and it was delicious. Served with the Boxty were the most delicious al-dente veggies ever! Yumz. What a great place!

3  Thank kathleenhoverter