“Great selection of beer and large menu”

Karl Strauss Brewing Company
Ranked #20 of 1,241 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
La Jolla, California
“Great selection of beer and large menu”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I visited this restaurant twice during my visit. The beer options are greater than any other local restaurant (unless you venture to a brewery). The menu is pretty extensive with just about something for everyone. I had the turkey burger which was very good and more than I can eat. It was rather messy, leaving me to use a fork and knive to finish it off. I also had the Carne Asada fries, which were just the right size and just the right kick.

Visited June 2014

• Turkish first
Boulder City, Nevada
“Great service, good for large group”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We had a great time at the Karl Strauss Brewery and Restaurant in La Jolla, California. There were 13 of us, including three children. The staff was very accommodating and attentive to our group. Most were really happy with their beer selections and our waitress handed out complimentary samples of their special beer of the day.

The pretzels were about as close to an authentic German pretzel as any of the ones I have tasted. The spinach dip was really tasty. Most were happy with their meals however I was not. I ordered the fish tacos and the tortillas were cold by the time I received my meal. The rice was just plain white rice and had virtually no flavor. The kids really enjoyed the Mac & Cheese and one of the fellows enjoyed his pasta.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant and plan to visit it the next time in La Jolla; however, I will skip the fish tacos.

• Visited July 2014
Wyomissing, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food, okay service”
Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

Went for lunch after going to the beach, beer was excellent. Everything was fine until they brought me the wrong meal. They waitress seemed very annoyed when I told her, probably because she thought she wasn't going to get a good tip. She gave me bread while I was waiting. I finally got my meal when everyone else was finishing. It was excellent. The manager was very nice and offered us free lunch and brought us anything we needed. Our waitress on the other hand (who never mentioned her name) seemed to have completely forgotten about us. She hadn't come back since right when I got my meal. You could tell that she didn't really want to be there. She just seemed to give up since we were getting a free meal anyways and never came back until I had to find another employee to find out where she was to bring me a box for my meal. We ended up giving her a $10 tip although my family didn't think she really deserved a tip. Everything was wonderful about that restaurant except for our waitress. At least they actually cared they messed
up our order. When we were at On the Border, all we got when they totally forgot about out meal was a card to get a free bowl of queso

1 Thank RR19610
Ridgecrest, California
“Birthday dinner”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

This restaurant is beautifully located in Carlsbad, Ca adjacent to the Grand Pacific Palisades Resort. I've been here numerous times in the last year, typically for my birthday in June. The staff is wonderful and the tour of the brewery itself is great! The restaurant has a very palatable menu and the service is awesome. We enjoy the outside dining on the patio where gas heaters are available on those chilly ocean nights. Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and had recommendations for pairing beer or wine with what was on the menu. Birthday customers also receive a free Karl Strauss beer glass. I recommend this restaurant, the service is excellent and the food is awesome :)

• Visited June 2014
Cranston, Rhode Island
“Pub Dining and so much more!”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Visited Karl Strauss on June 13, 2014 and had an amazing meal. Flat Iron steak was excellent, you could cut it with a fork! Blackened Salmon was mouth watering. Presentation of dishes was excellent, and service was spot on! Waiter made beer and wine pairing suggestions for our meals, took his suggestion and was so glad I did. Excellent time here; with lots going on, made for a fun evening.

• Visited June 2014