“Great beer, vibe and the best hummus ever!”

Karl Strauss Brewing Company
Ranked #19 of 1,239 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: American, Brew Pub, Bar, Contemporary, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Great beer, vibe and the best hummus ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stopped into the Karl Strauss Brewery twice while visiting La Jolla. While the outside patio looked inviting, we opted for the bar - less of a family feel. Service was great for the most part (our last drinks order went astray and we opted to forgo it when we finally got our gal's attention) and they were very generous offering samples of their many delicious brews - excellent selection for the beer afficionado. We had snacks both times and found the nachos tasty, but the hummus with flatbread was amazing! The second day we went was on the weekend and we were disappointed to find there was no happy hour, although the sign was up still outside. Nevertheless, very enjoyable!

• Visited July 2013

• Turkish first
Milford, Massachusetts
“Favorite place in the San Diego Area!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I spent two weeks in the San Diego area between a business trip and a personal vacation. I went to Karl Strauss three times during that trip. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal each time. Even if you aren't a big fan of beer, their food is excellent!

While this place doesn't have a spectacular view of the ocean or anything, the atmosphere, decor, and location is nothing that would disappoint. The staff was always friendly and helpful. . They were very attentive to our table each time we were there.

If you enjoy different types of beer you will love this place. They let you order free samples (maybe 1-2oz) of any types they have on tap, which I would say is at least 10. They brew all of their own beer. I was very impressed by each of their beers, they were all very balanced and tasty all the way from the stouts to the light summer beers. Not only could you order free samples, but they would also bring out samples that were paired with the appetizers and meal you ordered.

During my three visits I tried the nachos and rollos pollos for appetizers. They were both excellent. For dinner I had the steak with the excellent beer sauce. It was a nice dinner and a very good value. While I've had better steak it was also 3-4 times the price and dry aged. For a regular cut this was very good! I also had the brick chicken. It was excellent! Very juicy, nice spice and seasoning, and an excellent presentation. The cilantro rice and black beans were also very good and went well with the chicken. The mac and cheese delicious! It was creamy and crunchy at the same time. I also had some french fries with the mac and cheese, they were very good, skinny, crunchy, and seasoned nicely. I also got the fried cheese cake one night for desert. It was light, crunchy, and the cheesecake filling was so rich and smooth. It had some raspberry and almond taste in there as well.

I wish there was a Karl Strauss or similar restaurant in the Boston area that had beer as good as it's food. If I'm back in the area I will absolutely be going here again! We ate at many restaurants during out stay in San Diego and this was our favorite.

• Visited August 2013
Glen Mills, PA
“Good choice in La Jolla”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

We ate here for lunch on a day trip to La Jolla. The service was very good, the atmosphere in the restaurant, with the brewing vats exposed, is very nice. I had the fried shrimp Po'Boy sandwich, which was good. It's not New Orleans of course, but a decent stand in on the west coast. My wife had the Tree Hugger Mac N Cheese, which was filled with roasted red peppers, broccoli and spinach, she loved it. My son polished off the burger and enjoyed it. Their fries are excellent! I tried a couple of their beers and was very happy with them, although there were many more I will have to come back for. This is a solid place in a town full of restaurants.

• Visited August 2013
Mahtomedi, Minnesota
“Excellent service and food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

The service was great. Amanda was an excellent server and the bartender (I soooo wish I could remember his name!) were excellent. So many don't pair the right beer to the food, but he did. He suggested the pork chops and when it arrived, he gave me a sample of what would pair best with it. He was spot on. Then he suggested a mixture of 2 beers. EXCELLENT!!! It was so good, my group came back 2 more times that week!

Visited August 2013
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Best of the Craft Beers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Now living on the East Coast , with family in CA, I miss the fantastic craft beers and breweries of CA. MY first stop is here to sample the latest and hopefully the keg brew is available. You come for the beer , however the food is fine , and reasonably priced.
If you are touring, do not miss out on Karl Strauss , because you cannot find their beer on the east coast .

• Visited May 2013