“Good Food!”
Review of FUGU'S Sushi & Wok - CLOSED

FUGU'S Sushi & Wok
Cuisines: Sushi, Chinese
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My nephew had is wedding rehearsal dinner at FUGU'S. They accommodated 30 people very well. My sister and brother-in-law, who were paying for the dinner, said for $15.00 per person (without adult beverages), was a fantastic deal and we were all surprised at how much food there was. Everything was served family style, which worked out great. They provided PLENTY of sushi and California rolls, salad, three hot entrees with rice and Japanese Green Tea Ice Cream for dessert. Everyone was stuffed! The wait staff weren't the friendliest, however. I asked for a fork -- which perhaps insulted the waitress, but hey, I'm not good with chopsticks. She literally threw plastic forks at me and mumbled something about running out of regular forks. Weird and kind of rude, in my opinion. They were very efficient, however.

1  Thank Lisa S
There are newer reviews for FUGU'S Sushi & Wok

Reviewed June 30, 2012

I hadn't had sushi before and saw this restaurant on Groupon so we tried it out. We were pleased with the food, the atmosphere, and the service? And they did a great job helping me choose my 1st sushi restaurant experience.

1  Thank jschalla
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We had a groupon for this restaurant and there are signs posted at every table regarding the use of the coupon, so if you do not have a coupon, you become aware very quickly that you should have one! Server even tells you that there are different menus for those with coupon and those without. Menu is very large as they try to cater to Japanese, Chinese and Korean palates. Service was slow, but the server definitely was trying, but did not seem too experienced. We often find that restaurants that try to cater to many types of foods that they are never that great at one cuisine and this was certainly the case here. The sushi was average. If you are looking for a place that is not too authentic for diverse Asian cuisine, this probably would fit the bill.

1  Thank Hermoinevancouver
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We had never been here before, but had a Groupon and decided to check it out. The sushi rolls are very good, as was the fried calamari. The service was a bit slow, but it was pretty busy and on a weekend, so no complaint really. For 2 of us without the Groupon, it would have cost us $55.00. That's a LOT for sushi at an average type restaurant. It's very casual, so no need to dress up. It's in La Jolla, so maybe I should have expected the price.

Reviewed February 16, 2012

We were impressed by the diversity and quality of the asian cuisine at Fugu and will return. We had Japanese sashimi, Chinese wok vegetables, California style specialty sushi rolls, Koren beef, and Chinese lemon chicken. All were delicious and made with fresh ingredients. The service was attentive. The facility is clean and nicely furnished with both seating available. Although we had wine, we would not recommend ordering it because, like many asian restaurants, the selection is very limited to mediocre quality. But the sake and beer selection looked good and should be explored.