“Excellent Deli”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I have walked by this Deli for years, but never gone in because there are so many other restaurants in La Jolla. I was looking for a good salad & was looking on one of my apps Girard Gourmet came up. I started reading all the salad choices they had and decided to try it. When I got there they didn't have any chef salads made up so the young man behind the counter told me he would make one up for me fresh. I took it to go. It comes with your choice of dressing and bread. It was fresh tasting and the salad dressing was very good. I found myself craving a chef salad from there. They have a variety of fresh baked dishes, pot pies, mixed fruit salad, cold salads, sandwiches, pastries, cookies, etc... My friend and I came back & she had a stuffed zucchini & really enjoyed it. There is seating inside and also now a small area for seating outside. To drink they have assorted Snapple, cans of soda, bottled water. Depending on what time of the day you go there can sometimes be a line of customers. The staff is very friendly. Great location for shopping in La Jolla. It can be difficult to find parking, but there is always somebody leaving you might need to park a block or two away. The meter maids do mark your tires & will give out tickets, so make sure to listen to what the parking times are on the signs.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

You feel like you're in Europe when you walk in. Fresh meats, cheeses, homemade dishes, sandwiches, pastries. Only thing I haven't liked are the cookies...they LOOK delicious and so well designed (you always don't want to eat them, they're so pretty...just don't actually eat them).

1  Thank Deb S
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

Went for lunch and thought the food was really good. I had a sandwich that I was only able to eat half of. There were many other hot selections that also looked great.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

We have stopped here several times for cookies and have never been disappointed. Recently we were staying in a hotel in La Jolla and being tired of heavy meals picked up a take back to the room assortment of fruit, a salad, and a drink. All were good.

Try this place for the cookies, come back for an excellent light meal.

Very friendly staff, patient and helpful.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

On a recent visit to LaJolla, stopped at the Girard for a quick lunch. Great selections of prepared foods, salads, soups and sandwiches. Service is quick and bakery items are a plus for desert.