“Cute and close”

Holiday Inn Express La Jolla
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I really liked this Holiday Inn. Great location, right in the midst of everything. Great room. Patio right off the room. The blinds were broken and the door funky, but it was nice to take out a glass of wine and watch the sky. Was not so good when the family party arrived before I did and camped right outside my room, but they seemed to get the clue and moved on eventually. This could be a problem with having the great patio room.

Great bed, nice bathroom, good towels and sheets.

Plus across the street, they have a nice happy hour to hit before walking down to the beach (four blocks) for the sunset. I will definitely be back.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank LB6Travel
Larry C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear Lee,

Thank you so very much for staying with us and for sharing your experience. We are very happy that you enjoyed your sleep. I agree, Su Casa is a great happy hour on the way to the beach. Please accept my apology for the blinds and door.

We look forward to your return,

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express La Jolla

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stay here every time we visit our son and his fiance in the La Jolla area. The complimentary breakfast is superb enough that it makes up for the pricey nature of the hotel. My only suggestion would be that they have some rooms with king beds. We need a king or two beds, but would prefer a king.

Room Tip: Try to be on the pool instead of facing the street.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Salconn

Dear Salconn,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us when you visit your son and fiancé. We are very grateful for your loyalty.

Larry Clark

P.S. Our Advance Purchase Rate offers the best value and may work well for you.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Not far from centre of la jolla and only 3 mins walk to a surfers beach
Rooms are very cosy and well equipped. Service is good.
Breakfast very complete.
Heated small pool and free internet and parking.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank markr27
Larry C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Markr,

Thank you for the excellent review and thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to La Jolla. We are so glad that you enjoyed our accommodations, service, breakfast, location and pool. Hopefully your travels will bring you to the area again so we can welcome your return.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a very cozy hotel located in a safe and pleasant neighborhood of La Jolla. I adore this hotel and will likely return to it on my next trip to La Jolla. My wife and I really enjoyed staying in one of their larger suites. It was very spacious and comfortable. It was also extremely clean and well kept. The furniture was new and in good shape. The televisions were modern. The AC worked very well and the water pressure was good. The bathroom was very large, clean and well stocked with more than enough towels and bathroom amenities. Check in was smooth and efficient. Zakia was very friendly at check in. Parking is very convenient and easy. The overall layout of the hotel is cozy. It seemed like a lot of rooms overlook the pool area and some of the rooms overlook a small courtyard. The pool area was very clean and also had plenty of comfortable chairs to lay on. The free breakfast which was very delicious included: sausage, biscuits with gravy, eggs, cinnamon rolls, coffee, juice and more. You can sit inside to eat your breakfast or outside at one of their courtyard tables. Lastly, the location is very convenient. It is walking distance to Windansea beach. The neighborhood is lovely and safe to walk in. It is also a very close drive to the beautiful La Jolla Cove. Overall, I recommend this hotel and will likely stay here again.

Room Tip: I recommend a room facing the pool area.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear TravelingGuy,

Thank you so very much for the excellent review. We are grateful that you chose to stay with us and are very happy that we exceeded your expectations. I will be sure to share your experience with Zakia and the staff, they will be delighted that their efforts had such a positive impact on your vist with us. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I had a great stay at the Holiday Inn Express in La Jolla. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The room was very clean. The breakfast was nice. The location was perfect. It was very close to the ocean. I would definitely return.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Larry C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Nichol,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Express La Jolla. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our service, accommodation, breakfast and location. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Didn't even have to ask to be upgraded to a suite as an IHG Platinum member, it was done automatically before check in, and to make it even better, it was a points stay!

I also received a welcome bag of snacks, which was a nice touch.

Having had other bad upgrade experiences with other Holiday Inn Express hotels as an IHG platinum, I was thoroughly impressed with the La Jolla location.

Will definitely be back again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Larry C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear RC,

We are honored that you chose to stay with us during your points redemption stay. I am very happy that the front office team prepared for your arrival and exceeded your expectations. Our IHG Platinum guests are away from home quite a bit and it is a pleasure to assist in your comfort. Thank you for sharing your experience. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I had stayed in a condo in Pacific Beach for 14 days and then decided to stay 3 more nights due to tropical storm back home. I searched for hotels and this was the best looking online for price. When I checked in room looked a little small but it was actually really plenty of room. I had to check out of condo for 11 and check in wasn't until 4 but they was able to get me in my room for 12:30. The bed was heaven compared to the condo I had been staying in it was really comfortable. After being in room about 4 hours I noticed it wasn't getting cooler so I went to front desk and they moved me right into another room because A/C wasn't working. It's about a 5 minute walk to the beach and one of the best surfing spots. Then it's a little walk about 15 minutes to get to Pacific street which is full of some wonderful places to eat.

Room Tip: If you have more than two people or like a bigger area get the suite it really isn't much more.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Larry C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thanks Beachboy,

I am happy that I got to meet you. I was on the desk when you phoned about the A/C in your first room. Thanks for letting me know, we recycled that unit the next morning. I apologize that we missed it while getting your room ready. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your visit, bed, location and staff. Thanks for choosing to stay with us during your layover and for taking the time to write about your experience. Hopefully we’ll get you for all 14 days next time:)