“Totally average, but the price is right”

Holiday Inn Express La Jolla
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I just stayed here for the long fourth of July weekend, and was generally happy. I mean, it is a Holiday Inn Express so my expectations were not super high, but I will stay here again when I travel to La Jolla. I have stayed at the Travelodge across the street several times and this is certainly a superior hotel for what it is worth.

Pros:
Location - walking distance to the beach and close to the cute downtown (5 minute cab ride)
Price - very affordable for La Jolla
Room size - we had a very good size room with 2 double beds. Plenty of room for suitcases and everything
Refrigerator/microwave - very nice amenity for a budget hotel

Cons:
Light - the lighting in the room was TERRIBLE. Seriously, 3 very small lamps with a horrible yellow light. Probably not an issue for most, but for females trying to get ready and apply makeup it was bad.
Bathroom - tiny tiny sink area. Really just a sink and that's it
Reception - although very nice, we had a somewhat incompetent person check us in. I say that because we had 3 people on our reservation, all arriving at different times. Each one of us went to the front desk upon arrival to get a key to the room since the others were out. Every time a new key was issued, the keys issued previously were deactivated. Meaning each time someone arrived, the people who arrived earlier were then locked out. She even blamed us saying we must have put our keys next to our phone or something (until we figured out what was going on). Totally avoidable and an unnecessary headache (though not a big deal in the scheme of things).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Larry C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear Merry 617,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for over the July 4th weekend. What a tremendous weekend to be in La Jolla. We are very glad that you enjoyed our location, value, room size and amenities (refrigerator and microwave). Please accept my apology for the unnecessary trips to the front desk to secure room keys. I am also very sorry, and more than a little embarrassed, that someone on our team suggested you were at fault.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to La Jolla.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

The beds were comfortable. But I wish they had an offering with a king-size bed. The breakfast is very respectable. Hot tub nice. Pool clean.
We were visiting family in Birdrock, and this hotel is just a few blocks from everything in Birdrock. We had rented a vacation home nearby once, but they can be expensive unless you have lots of people staying. In this visit, it was just my husband and myself.

Room Tip: Try very hard to get two beds. Even if you are a couple, it will be more comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Salconn,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us while visiting your family and for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted that you enjoyed our breakfast, location, pool and hot tub. We are very happy that you were able to get a good night sleep in our comfortable beds even though we don’t offer your favorite size.

We look forward to your next visit.

Larry

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I must say that we were impressed when we first arrived until the very last day of our trip. We are a family of four, with a reservation in ONE queen bed with intentions of our son to sleep in his pack and play yard... well we had forgotten our pack and play yard and I requested if they had anything able to accommodate us. The gal at night (I believe it would be the 3pm-11pm shift) upgraded us to a suite and when we walked in we were blown away in the size and amenities. Thank you for your kindness in upgrade. We indulged in the breakfast in the morning, great :) and we were within walking distance to La Jolla beach, beautiful and relaxing :) and there were plenty of restaurants and hipster places nearby. The pool was nice and the staff were friendly. All in all, our stay was incredible and we will definitely stay here again. Kudos to the hotel!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CierraMHG
Larry C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Dear Cierra,

Thank you for the Incredible Review. I am very happy that we had an upgrade available for you and will be sure to pass on your comments to our evening team members. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stayed here for a family vacation to San Diego, and this is the perfect location, loved the courtyard style, the pool, the hottub, very clean, best sleep of my life, great breakfast. I will always stay here when I visit the San Diego area. Loved it!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SaraMBrawley
Larry C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear Sara,

Thank you for the “very nice” review. I have to admit that I did not sleep very well at home last night and when I read “best sleep of my life”, I wished that I had chosen to stay here instead. We believe our courtyard style adds a little unexpected charm and quaintness and are delighted that you loved it as well.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your vacation to San Diego. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Nice hotel, moderate price. Close to shops, La Jolla cove. Just a wonderful place. You can pay much, much more someplace else in the area. There are numerous restaurants and bars. All good. Parking excellent, access to freeways and other destinations in San Diego. Do stay here, it's well worth it. Just walking the area is great, an all day affair.

Room Tip: Book early for summer stays
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Frank S
Larry C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Frank,

We are very grateful that you chose to stay with us. Thank you for sharing your experience. We are all delighted that you had such a wonderful time and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

This was our first stay at a Holiday Inn Express, we stayed two nights, and I confess I expected more. It was clean and comfortable. Pool and hot tub area welcoming. And, yes, the staff was helpful and accommodating. I was surprised at how small the room was, though maybe only ours had a strange configuration as it was an end room. But the shocker was styrofoam plates and cups at breakfast. Hey, this is 2013, and La Jolla!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Don,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Express La Jolla on your recent visit to San Diego and for sharing your experience.

We are very happy you enjoyed the clean, comfortable rooms, the helpful and accommodating staff and our pool and hot tub. We are hopeful that our choice of tableware will not dissuade you from returning.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I spent 1 night at this hotel. Room was clean, staff was nice, in-room internet was working fine.
I asked for late checkout, which was ok with them, however, they forgot about it the next morning. It was ok, the housekeepers apologized and let me finish packing. They have a small pool and offer breakfast as well.
The center of La Jolla (and the La Jolla Cove) is a 30 minute walk (or a 7 minute drive) from here, so it's at a good location.
I found it a bit pricey, but probably it's because of its location. Despite this, I would still recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Larry C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Michnay,

Thank you for the recommendation. We are very happy you chose to stay with us and that you enjoyed our location, clean rooms and nice staff. I apologize that we forgot about your late checkout and disturbed you. Sounds like the housekeeper handled the error well.

Thanks for sharing your experience. We hope to see you on your next visit to La Jolla.