“Great little hotel with wonderful location”

Holiday Inn Express La Jolla
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed November 8, 2007

Holiday Inn corporation bought this old bungalow type motel in La Jolla and jazzed it up. We loved it. The rooms are a little small, but very nice amenities and decor. The shower was quite large for such a small room.

The included breakfast was very nice with fresh fruits, cereals, waffles, etc. So many times the breakfast is really awful. Not the case here.

The hotel has a very nice pool and hot tub. Also, there are several other sitting areas. We used them to have our own happy hour.

The location is great because, of course, La Jolla is at the high end of housing costs in the San Diego area. We had originally thought we would stay in the "Hotel Circle" area (I think that is what it is called), but that location apparently has more crime and is noisy due to freeway traffic.

We were lucky enough to be able to get into the Crabcatcher in La Jolla for dinner on a Sat. night. The food was excellent and what a location on a cliff overlooking the ocean. Very nice.

As for getting into San Diego, it was a snap. Freeways are close by, but not within hearing distance.

Price was about the same as staying in the Hotel Circle area. Everything in SD is expensive, so be prepared. It is also a very busy destination, so book early.

Stay here if you can.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 30, 2007

This place was a real surprise. Much better than the other HIE's we have stopped at. The accommodation was like a one bed flat. Very clean and comfortable. The staff were very helpful, even providing some free bottles of water when we found the vending machine was empty.

The location is ideal for people touring around the area who prefer to be away from the noise of the city. The pool area is very pleasant and the lounger’s great for a relaxing break after a morning of shopping or touring.

Breakfast, available from 6am to 10am, is the normal HIE continental style with the bonus of being able to sit outside by the pool.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed at this property from Oct. 11th through the 14th. If you like a quiet atmosphere with a beach within walking distance, you should be pleasantly surprised. The hotel also had a small, but nice pool area. Spend a few hours one afternoon sunning and swimming with little noise or disturbances. The hotel staff was pleasant and very helpful. I had a package delivered to the hotel through the mail, which they contacted me as soon as it arrived!

For a little more action...mission and pacific beaches are within a 5 minute drive. Great boardwalk to walk or bike...you can rent bikes at several locations on mission blvd or garnett. Several nice restaurants with cool ocean and boardwalk views (ex. cane's & green flash). Great californian style mexican food (ex. gringo's).

Overall, this hotel is a great place to stay for the price, while staying in a beautiful part of San Diego (La Jolla). Just remember in October, average temps are in the mid 70's, so it usually gets cool in the evening! Will definetely stay here again on our next stay in San Diego!

Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed October 22, 2007

This holiday inn is clean and decent. It has a nice pool area and they serve a nice breakfast every morning. It is very close to a beautiful beach you can walk to from the hotel. It was quiet at night and the hotel staff seemed very responsive and nice.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Sally B
Reviewed September 22, 2007

I stayed here b/c the manager here is also in charge of the Pacific Shores which I hated, and so the manager offered me a discounted rate here. Service at this hotel was only so-so for the most part in my book. The person who checked me in was a little gamey about the price, but I stuck to what the manager offered me (though I shouldn't have to do this at all). Other people who worked there seemed pretty nice. Many just seemed kind of apathetic. Employees aside, my room was great. I even had a slight view of the ocean from it. No tub in the bathroom and open glass, large shower was interesting and new for me. I had a big room with 2 beds and it had a little kitchen with fridge, microwave, utensils etc. It was clean, well-appointed and the bed was really comfortable. The airconditioner cancelled out the street noise. It was too cold outside for me to try the pool and hot tub, but they looked nice. This isn't the place if you're looking to be able to walk to stores and nightlife. There's a 7-11 nearby, but that's about it. Stores and more pedestrian-friendly areas require a short drive. I rather liked that about my stay here - There was an obvious absence of loud, drunk, annoying pigs. I just wanted a clean, private and quiet place to sleep & go about my business and for that, this served me well. You can also walk to the wind & sea beach from the inn.

• Stayed: January 2007
Reviewed September 11, 2007

I traveled to this hotel with my husband, my 3 year old & my 4 month old. The only things I needed in a hotel were a pool, a fridge, and a two room suite so that my kids wouldn't wake each other up during the night.

This is an old hotel with a decent renovation. The rooms were clean and looked nice especially for the class of hotel. The pool area was great and we enjoyed it alot.

My issue with this hotel is that I booked it months in advance off there website. I even called to confirm that two rooms really meant two rooms. Here is what the room description is for the room type I booked.

2 ROOM SUITE 1 QUEEN BED NONSMOKING - 4 PERSON(S) MAX PER ROOM
NEWLY RENOVATED ROOM INCLUDES SOFA SLEEPER WITH WIRELESS INTERNET FREE HBO AND EXTENDED CABLE KITCHEN MICROWAVE REFRIGERATOR WALK IN SHOWER

We arrived late to a room that was very small, and did not have two rooms (was unable to take a picture of this room, but four steps from my husband covered it from end to end and we had to walk sideways between the bed & TV armoire). I went to the front desk and of course they don't have any rooms that night (not surprising on Labor Day weekend). The night manager says we will move you tomorrow. The next morning I spoke to the day manager (Juan Curtis) who informed me that the room I was in had the correct number of beds that the description said (a queen & sleeper sofa) so I was in the correct type of room for what I booked. After going around with him about what two rooms meant & that I had called to confirm the room type and the issue with my kids he agreed reluctantly (and after 15 minutes) to move me to a true two room suite. It took until 4:30 that afternoon for the room to be ready.

The second room was delightful. It had plenty of room for me to walk my baby to sleep and for my son to play on the floor. Most importantly, it was two rooms. The rest of our stay was very nice. So be careful booking your room. Also, the AC did not cool both rooms so it was warm, but not unbearable.

The breakfast fas standard buffet breakfast, nothing to get excited about.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2007

This is an older motel that has rooms facing a courtyard with a nice pool. The rooms have been redecorated and the beds are good. We paid $166 with a AAA rate which favorably compared with other hotels in the area, although this one was not near the beach. What disappointed us was the way this motel measured out supplies in a skimpy manner. The pool was never stocked with towels; you had to ask for them and 4-5 were put out at a time. The breakfast area was unstaffed and poorly replenished. Again, they put out as little as possible to get by and a visit to the office was needed even to get hot water for tea. The parking area had inadequate space for the number of cars it was supposed to hold. Not recommended.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family