“Made our Thanksgiving holiday pleasant.”

Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We prepared our Thanksgiving feast in our Residence Inn room. The hotel staff was extremely helpful in providing needed kitchen supplies. The event was perfect. The room was comfortable, but a little noisy.

• Stayed: November 2013
Morgan S, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Good evening Mrs. "K", thank you for taking a moment to share the "pleasant" experience that you had with your family during Thanksgiving. I remember making first contact with you on the phone in preparation of the family gathering. I am pleased to read that I was able to get you all situated and that the "event was perfect". I hope you get to visit us again and we all are wishing you a happy holiday season and new year!

Reviewed December 6, 2013

We were working on a new production of my Broadway musical, Side Show at the La Jolla Playhouse very nearby. We had a penthouse apartment which was a duplex layout. The people who worked at Residence Inn were unfailingly lovely and helpful. The free daily breakfasts were a real treat. Our dog had a great time too!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you Henry K for writing a review about your 2 month "excellent stay" here on TripAdvisor. Being here for such a long duration makes you an expert reviewer of our hotel. We are so pleased that you had such a positive experience, partly because of the "unfailingly lovely and helpful" staff we have working here. I've read a couple reviews just before yours where guests were here for the Sideshow production, it sounds like it is getting a lot of attention so congratulations on the success! Again we appreciate the kind words and hopefully you'll be back when you have another production in the works.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed December 6, 2013

I checked out many places to stay for my trip to La Jolla and settled on the Residence Inn, sight unseen, just based on the website information. I couldn't have made a better choice. It's right off the freeway, minutes from the beach, downtown La Jolla or the Playhouse. The "room" was like having my own apartment. Full kitchen, large back, spacious living room/TV area, and large, comfortable bed. I could have moved in! I didn't cook on this particular trip, but the kitchen had a full refridgerator/freezer, full stove, microwave, large sink and dishwasher! Cabinets were fully stocked with dishes, glasses and silverware. The breakfast buffet had enough food to last me all day and they even service a complimentary spaghetti and meatball dinner, complete with wine! Everyone on the staff was super-friendly. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: I didn't use the spa, so can't comment on it. All of the rooms seemed quiet. We had a room...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Hello I hope this message finds you well Alan E from Glendale. Thank you for choosing to stay with us while coming to enjoy the La Jolla Playhouse production, Sideshow. The title you gave your review, "Paradise in La Jolla", is truly a great compliment which we humbly appreciate. Come stay with us again soon for another production at the Playhouse. Thank you for the awesome review, I hope you have a great and wonderful holiday season!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Spent only one night here but it was beyond expectations. Had tickets for "Sideshow" at the La Jolly Playhouse and found place to stay with dogs for the night. They were very accommodating with the dogs. We had a grassy area outside our room for walking. Also the morning breakfast was incredible. So many choices. It was really an elaborate hot and cold buffet. Location was perfect for the playhouse. They also have a weekday wine and food social. Sorry we missed the spaghetti and meatballs and wine. Rooms must have been sound proofed because we never heard a sound. Never used room service or spa but don't know how to remove.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you taking the time to write this review here on TripAdvisor. We are very pleased to hear that your one night stay with us was "beyond expectations". Being pet-friendly and conveniently close to the La Jolla Playhouse worked perfectly for your needs. I hope you enjoyed the Sideshow performance, I've been meaning to go there myself. Hope you have another chance to come visit the Playhouse because they always have great productions running. We are looking forward to your next stay with us, thank you again for the great review.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

This hotel is like a series of small bungalows over a complex that has a small pool, a hot tub and a few BBQ areas dotted around. The rooms are big, functional and work. The only disappointment is the bathrooms in some of the smaller studio units - they are really quite old and tiny and could do with modernisation. I stayed in 4 different units over the last few months and all but one had the same tiny, old bathrooms and thats a big let down for a US hotel. Other Residence Inns I've stayed at dont have this problem. That said the rooms are big, well maintained, comfortable and feel safe. The wifi is ok and works fine. I stayed a few nights in the two bedroom unit and it was excellent - great design and layout, loads of space and much better bathrooms than the normal rooms, and not that much more expensive.

Breakfast is also a bit odd - ok selection but cheap styromfoam plates and plastic cutlery that makes you feel like you are in a really cheap low grade hotel - there are occasionally some proper plates and silverware, but it's rare and thats a really bad mark. If makes breakfast feel rushed and cheap - thats a pity.

Staff are generally helpful though the sales manager is not a particularily customer service focussed individual - I never spoke with here but my boss, who booked the rooms for me, did and said she was unhelpful. My partner also dealt with her - I had stayed there for maybe 15 nights already and had a booking to come back for another 4 weeks and when my partner asked to stay in the room for a few hours beyond normal check out she was rude and unhelpful. I know there are rules, but there is also a flexibility needed when dealing with high value customers, and that was ignored. I've since spent close on $3000 on other local hotels - their loss, and I no longer recommend the hotel to any of my visiting clients.

But if you want an ok hotel, clean, safe, spacious and good freeway connections then do consider this place as it really is pretty good overall.

Room Tip: The vietnamese restaurant just outside the entrance in a small parade of shops is fantastic.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Morgan S, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Hello Mr. Johnston I hope this message finds you and your partner well in London. Thank you for the informatively detailed review of your recent stays with us. I am sorry to hear that you weren’t totally impressed with some features of the hotel and wish we could have changed those for you. Our goal is always to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations and needs. I am not aware of the particular circumstances surrounding the late checkout request that you mentioned, but I am sorry that we didn’t take the opportunity to accommodate that for you. Again I apologize for this incident that left you feeling as though we didn’t appreciate your business. We would love to have an opportunity to change that as we do value you very much. Thank you again for the time you took to write this review and I hope you have a great holiday season.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

We have stayed a number of times at this Residence Inn in La Jolla - basically because its convenient to Scripps Hospital. They even have a free shuttle to the hospital., although we didn't use it this time. It makes it nice to have a full kitchen with a seating area in our room. The property is very clean and large. Was surprised as they now have a $14 parking fee, per night. They provide a variety of evening food ie; soup & salad; BBQ chicken & hot dogs, wine & beer, Monday thru Wed nights. (Enough food for a meal.) They also have a hot breakfast provided in the mornings. The staff was very helpful. We had booked a room for one night but wasn't sure if we needed the room for another night, as not sure if my husband needed to stay an extra day in the hospital. They held the room for us and was going to waive the 24 hour prior cancellation fee, if we didn't need the room. We highly recommend the Residence Inn in La Jolla.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for making us your choice when visiting Scripps Hospital. We fully agree that our hotel and location make it very convenient to the hospital. I want to thank you and say how much we appreciate the time you took to share your experience here at our hotel. Best wishes to you and your husband.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Upon arrival on Friday evening, the front desk staff was very hospitable and upbeat. They made you very welcome, answered questions and offered many services. The one bedroom with a loft was excellent and clean. You can get a free shuttle to La Jolla Village from the front desk. I would stay there again with my family.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SurvivorBruce65
Morgan S, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Hello SurvivorBruce65 I hope this find you and your family well in Simi Valley. Thank you for taking the time to share your "November in La Jolla" experience here on TripAdvisor. We are very happy to hear that you felt so welcomed by our great staff and that you thought that the Penthouse Executive suite was "excellent". We look forward to the next time your family comes to visit San Diego!