“Disappointed”

Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Concord
“Disappointed”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Should not have had to pay $14 per day for outside parking. Should not have to pay for wi-fi-- it's free almost anywhere else! Housekeeping service was almost non-existent-- they showed up once in three days and did virtually nothing. The studio layout/furnishings was really dumb. There is a complete kitchen, but no table or chairs to sit down to! Stupid! Price for sat. Nite was outrageous! Won't go there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Morgan S, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Williamr G, thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We are saddened and surprised to hear that you were disappointed with your stay with us. I humbly apologize that you had this negative experience and you pointed out some key issues that make this so. I would like to take a moment to discuss those and give some additional information regarding them.

You mentioned that you had to pay for parking and also the Wi-Fi internet connection during your stay. It is true that we do access a parking fee of $14 per day for those guests choosing to park on the property. Space is limited and a commodity in La Jolla and San Diego in general. We charge to ensure only guests are parking on property, they receive a parking permit, and also to maintain the area as well. If you took time to price shop the area you would find that we are very competitive. In most cases we are well below other hotels who ask for $20-$30 a night for parking; some not allowing in and out privileges. Still we are sorry that you felt this way about the fee and understand $14 can add up especially if you are traveling on a budget. But in regards to the Wi-Fi internet offered at our hotel there seems to be a misunderstanding. We provide complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the hotel and that is standard with all Residence Inn properties. It is convenient to access emails, surf the web, and connect with social media. We do offer an upgraded connection for those guests needing faster speeds for streaming movies, gaming, and so on at a minimal cost. So when a guest connects to the internet they are directed to a web page where they select “High Speed Free” or “Upgraded connection/fee applied”. I am sorry that this was an obstacle for you and assure you that there is free Wi-Fi available always at Residence Inn.

Another area of concern was involving the room and housekeeping services. I very much apologize if you had issues regarding your daily housekeeping service which we do provide. It is our standard to dispatch one of our housekeepers to your room every day to make the room and refresh anything that might be running low. It is of great concern that you said that you only received service only once and it was less than satisfactory. We have several best practices in place to ensure service is taken care of and also to the standards Marriott and its guests expect. The only time we do not service rooms is when a guest requests that and most of the time that is communicated to us by placing a do not disturb sign on the door. We do place follow up calls to the rooms that didn’t get service, we let them know if they need anything all they need to do is give us a call and we would gladly accommodate. You didn’t mention that you contacted anyone regarding this, if you did I would be grateful for any information you could provide so we can look more into this matter. Aside from the housekeeping service you didn’t like the layout of the room also. We are unique in the fact that we provide a typically larger room compared to other hotels but with the added feature of a fully equipped kitchen. Being an extended stay brand we have long term business travelers that live and work at our hotel. The room has a desk/table for them to do work and also to use for meal times. There is just the one chair in the room, however if a guest does need or request one we are more than happy to send one over to them. So the layout we have in that room type is definitely influenced by their needs.

We do appreciate and encourage feedback whether good or bad, it is how we learn and improve. Hopefully I was able to give you some insights into some of your difficulties and disappointments. We are very sorry again that you didn’t enjoy your stay. Our hotel takes pride in taking care of our guests and delivering an exceptional experience. Thank you again for your review and I look forward to any additional information you can provide.

Guest Care Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Hebrew first
Piedmont, California
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying in this hotel before Labor Day this past fall. Our room was a family suite with a bungalow bedroom on the second floor, a really practical layout for privacy and separation between kids and adults. The room was incredibly clean and maintained daily, and we all love the breakfast. While we didn't use it, the shuttle to downtown La Jolla is a useful resource, and being walking distance to a shopping center with restaurants (we enjoyed Rock Bottom Brewery) is another plus. Everything was above expectations, including the helpful staff at the front desk.

We used the pool, and while not large was great for us since there was noone else using it. We also had fun exploring where all the jacuzzis were "hidden" on the property, and enjoyed the one closest to our room. Very central location. Looking forward to returning!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello Cali_BAB I hope this message finds you well. On behalf of the hotel I would like to thank you for sharing your recent experience here on TripAdvisor. It was great to read that you had the "pleasure of staying" at our hotel during Labor Day weekend. Our larger room accommodations seem to suit your family well making it a comfortable and enjoyable stay. We look forward to your return visit as well!

Dubai,UAE
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed at this nice comforatble hotel in September with my son . This hotel was recommended by UCSD and it really proved to be very convenient to stay near UCSd. The features I like the most were spotlessly clean rooms, helpful staff, facility of a full kitchen, wonderful morning breakfast, happy hors from Mon- Wednesday and above all the free shuttle service to places within 5 miles of the hotel.
The only drawback was that the front desk staff is not equally well informed. I was double billed for my stay both on my card as well as the cash that I paid. It was a hassle to get it reversed but once I made my point clear to the Manager Mr Morgan , he took care of it immediately. So all in all it was a pleasant stay and I will definitely stay there again if the need arises .

Room Tip: If you do not want to lug in heavy luggage choose level 1 rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Morgan S, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Hello kaldeb I hope this message is finding you well in Dubai. Thank you so much for the time you took to describe the great hotel we have and specially the benefits for those visiting UCSD. I'm happy that you were able to fully enjoy the many amenities we offer. I apologize again, like I did the day I helped you, for the billing issues you encountered. With multiple types of payments and requests it can get a bit confusing to figure out. Thankful I was able to assist you in those matters and got it back on track. We all appreciate your kind acknowledgments of our hotel overall. I look forward to your next trip to the area, have a wonderful day!

Mission Viejo, California, United States
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We enjoyed the hotel though paying $14 for parking is for the birds. The staff was great and the room was excellent. We went and ate at the Marine Room which is about 1.3 miles from the hotel and it is on the beach and an excellent place. We had a great view of sunset and then we walked on the beach.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you Edward P for writing a review of your recent stay here in La Jolla. We are happy to hear that you found our staff to be great and the room was excellent. It was also nice to hear that you were able to enjoy one of the fantastic restaurants available in the area, Marine Room. It is definitely one of the restaurants we all recommend for guests seeking high level of quality, service, and an amazing view. Again thank you, we all appreciate your time and kind words.

Union, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed October 9, 2013

The entire staff and comfortable room made for a very enjoyable stay. Each Residence Inn person I met was friendly, helpful and professional, from the front desk to the breakfast staff to the housekeepers. It was convenient and fun for me to be able to prepare dinner at the hotel for the family that I was visiting in San Diego. I look forward to my next visit to San Diego and staying at the Residence Inn in La Jolla.

Room Tip: For elderly or for folks that need assistance, I recommend booking a room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you John P for your high rated review of our hotel. We greatly appreciate the acknowledgement you gave our staff, we are so fortunate to have them all. Our goal as a hotel is to give all our guests a high level of customer service that is expected from a Marriott hotel, it is one of the many things that separates us from our competitors. Again thank you for your time and the effort you put into writing this review. We look forward to your next stay here with us!

Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Staying at a Marriott is a no brainer. We've stayed at lots of them around the country on our travels. This was the beginning a a 3000 mile road trip flying into LAX, renting a car and driving in a large circle from LA to San Diego to The Dalles, OR, Cannon Beach, OR and back down to LAX for the flight home. The 2 nights we stayed at the Residence Inn feels like home. It's a suite with all the amenities so it was a great place to start.Very convenient, near a shopping plaza and a very pretty Morman church. I'll stay here again whenever I get back to San Diego.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Morgan S, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Thank you skyken for your recent review of your hotel stay with us. I was very pleased to hear that you prefer to stay with Residence Inns and that you found our property to perfect for your vacation. That catchy title of "The Joya in La Jolla" was awesome and cleaver, I'll have to use it sometime. Again thank you for your reviewer expertise, Senior Contributor, here on TripAdvisor.

San Diego, California
Reviewed September 18, 2013

My wife and I just completed a one week stay at this Residence Inn and from checkin to checkout we couldn't have asked for more. The suite was a good size, comfortable, kitchenette well furnished, and location perfect. Plus, considering it's La Jolla and we had easy access to either the I-5 or the coast roads, the price was very reasonable. Now add to that a hot breakfast every morning, and a manager's special hot meal from 5:00-7:00 PM Mon-Wed at no cost, it adds up to an excellent property. Even better were the entire front desk staff who were so helpful and friendly. As for the $14 nightly
Parking fee. We knew it in advance and accepted it. Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: There are only 2 levels so the top may be better noise wise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Jim W, I would like to personally thank you on behalf of the hotel for giving us such a great review. I was pleased to read that you and your wife enjoyed your whole experience here from beginning to end. We are very fortunate to be so accessible to many attractions and being very affordable in comparison to neighboring hotels like you mentioned. You took full advantage of the great amenities we offer including the full hot buffet breakfast and evening social hours. We appreciate your time, I am sure the readers of TripAdvisor do too. Have a great and wonderful day and we look forward to your next stay with us.