“Good Value, Good Location, Good Overall”

Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed July 11, 2013

One reason I love to stay at Residence's by Marriott because of the in-room kitchens and larger rooms. We had four adults and two children on this trip so we got an upgraded room/suite. It was perfect with upstairs and downstairs bedrooms and living room area. This property was clean and maintained well. We stayed at this location in June 2013. There was a lot of restaurants and stores nearby but they were hard to see until you drove around a bit. This place goes off! I've never seen a complimentary hotel breakfast so busy! You could barely get anything. Hit it early when it opens or you'll be battling for some bacon. The coffee was good though. We went to the grocery store and used our kitchen in the room so we didn't have to deal with the buffet chaos. This is no disrespect on the hotel or their staff, they do really good. They handle it well. I would stay here again. Just get there early, the parking is tough too.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Andy N

Reviewed July 10, 2013

After looking at several locations my wife and I settled on the Residence Inn in La Jolla for our trip over the fourth of July week. I liked that this hotel is close to all the action in La Jolla, although traffic can be quite a mess at times. After checking in, upon entering the room I noticed that the room did seem to have a bit of that musty apartment smell, though it was not overwhelming. The room was clean, and had quite a bit of space with a small kitchen, a good size living/bedroom area, and a spacious bathroom. The staff was friendly and helpful letting us know where the fireworks would be in the area, how early we should get there, as well as recommending places to eat. In the mornings they had a hot breakfast with waffles, eggs, potatoes, and a meat. They also had your standard cereals, muffins, fruits, etc. We were there on a busy weekend yet the breakfast area never seemed over crowded, there was plenty of seating inside and outside. It does seem that parking can be an issue if you are there at a busy time, but we had a room at the edge of the complex so there were always spaces available. All and all we enjoyed our stay at the Residence Inn in La Jolla, and if I'm back in the area in the future, I would not mind staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I'm a frequent traveler and a Marriott member... I'm going to echo what others have said..

1) Rooms very clean
2) Bedding extremely comfortable
3) great location
4) Excellent friendly staff

My only dis-satisfaction with this particular location is that is a VERY VERY BUSY hotel. I was there for 5 nights and the hotel was at full capacity 95% of the time. The breakfast area was chaotic at best.

Like I said, I'm a frequent business traveler and I always stay in Marriott hotels, this time was for pleasure and maybe that's why I noticed that amount of guests in the facility. When I travel for business, I'm having breakfast by 6:30am and not by 8:30am.

So I have to pick on something, this will have to be it.

But don't let this discourage you from staying in this hotel. Although it was at full capacity, there was NO noise in my room (which is a HUGE PLUS).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Made reservations for our first night in SAn DIego at this Mariott Brand. La JOlla is basically a fancy suburb to be found anywhere in North America, but with a very cool ocean, walkway and beach! I would like to thank all past reviewers and hotel staff for optimizing my staff. I won 1500 MR points in the Elite Wheel of Fortune! The executive loft was offered as an upgrade and for the additional $60 it was worth it. Past reviewers had talked of "the bull pen" of rooms that can be loud due to density in design and foot traffic, so I was happy to escape to the other side of the parking area with an end unit. OK, another reason I did it is that I snore - loud! And the kids had their own king size bed/bath with door downstairs well Mom was perfectly happy to be in her loft "tree fort" with her own TV/bed/bath. The location is great to restaurants, just take the brief walk up to La JOlla Shores and "restaurant row", once you park your car and get a good spot, I didn't want to lose it. This hotel is clean in the parts that are important sheets/nice towels/freshpaint/kitchen/tubs etc. I compliment the maintenance staff. My sense is that Mariott Corporate needs to pony up and allow budget to upgrade or allow expenses to replace stained carpeting, dirty curtains, mulch, to take this from a nice to place to stay to one that is fitting for the town of La JOlla. The pool area is nothing to write home about, we took one look at turned on heel, but putting in perspective, I have spoiled the kids enough that they like their Mariott Resorts and JWs. THe coffee so far is hot and tasty, and the breakfast set up is good. Seating for four in the executive kitchen. The staff is professional and friendly, older and experienced, not a bunch of kids running the desk, they seem to have their head wrapped around good property management.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2013

1. Rooms are very clean with large full kitchen. Choose one upstairs and in a corner to avoid sounds of foot traffic and a quieter sleep.
2. Beware of wify intrusion of "Solutions IP" which invades hotel guest computers and causes browsing difficulties with Firefox. Don't click on it thinking it is part of the hotel because it is NOT. Only remedy is to clear the Solutions IP cookies and restart with a different browser. This hotel (and many others) should have their IT people block this horrible inconvenience.
3. Free breakfasts are a mad house. There are no controls so gypsies come in and fill up bags of food to take out the door. Why they don't check room keys or control access is beyond me.
The breakfast room looks like a "free for all", which it is! We quickly learned to "divide and conquer" and to take our breakfasts back to the room.
4. Major disadvantage is that the kitchen table has ONE chair so it is impossible to eat together in the room.
5. Time to replace the mattress and pillows in room 3321 - feels like they are made of foam.
6. Traffic from this location to downtown San Diego can be horrendous so allow plenty of time.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Morgan S, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Hello United50k I hope this message is finding you well. We very much appreciate our guests coming to write reviews about our hotel and see that you are a senior contributor on TripAdvisor. It looks like you had a few items that you wanted to point out that we could address and we accept them graciously.

As you mentioned we do offer Wi-Fi internet complimentary throughout our hotel and have gone through some major upgrades/improvements in the last year to make the ease of using it even simpler. Solutions IP is affiliated with the internet that we provide so I wanted to say that so it didn't seem that an unknown entity was showing up on your computer or device. Since upgrading the actual internet service internet speeds and connectivity have greatly improved. We have also changed a few times the "connect" page also to make it easier and easier to establish how to connect as well. At this time we have very few calls from guests regarding this and if we get calls about the internet it's to confirm we have it and we then get a big "thank you". I do apologize that you were having issues with it and understand that something’s don’t work 100% of the time perfectly, but we are always here to assist in anyway and have 24 hour tech support.

Our breakfast is one of our notable amenities that is talked about by almost all reviews here on TripAdvisor. Guests love the fact that waiting for them in our Gatehouse is a full buffet breakfast and an attentive friendly staff. It is true that sometimes the area can become congested with the flow of "traffic" but we do try to manage the best we can. We do suggest and recommend that during busier days at the hotel that guests come down earlier and not wait till the last hour since most people, including me, like to sleep in. And a great suggestion that you mentioned was to grab and go, fixing a plate and taking it to the room is totally okay by us.

We are pleased to know that with your suite you were satisfied with the overall cleanliness and size of it. We are aware that for guests traveling with 2 or more in our studio suite that they all can't sit at the table/business area. We will however offer to take over additional chairs should we get a call regarding this. And still on the topic of the suite you suggested switching out the mattress and pillows for the room you were in. Definitely we will ensure that we do a check on the integrity of those items and I apologize if you found them in poor condition. Taking a proactive approach to identifying things like this before they are issues is our goal and standard, we take this very seriously and will address immediately.

Offering accommodations that are above a guest's expectations is what we strive for. Doing so will really add value to the stay and keep people coming back, we at least are glad that you found it to be a “good value”. We take your feedback and comments with the intentions of improving our product. Thank you again and we hope you have a great day!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Close to shopping and food (walking distance).
Just a few minutes drive to the beach.
Great breakfast.
Had a 2 bedroom loft room - always nice to have a kitchen!
Front staff was excellent! Hanbal went above and beyond for us!
WISH I COULD COME BACK NOW!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Your visit sounds like it was just perfect, I'm so happy you had such a great visit. I don't blame you for waiting to come back now, we are very fortunate to have the product we have. You complimented Hanbal on is "above and beyond" service, as you may notice in the review previous he was mentioned there too! We will again recognize and thank him for his amazing service that he gives on a daily basis. Thank you for sharing your excellent rating of our hotel, I'm a pretty lucky guy to get to work with a hotel like this one. Looking forward to the next time you can come back and visit us.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here in late June for four nights. The hotel is in a great location, close to restaurants, grocery stores and of course UCSD. The staff was very attentive. I'd like to recognize Hanbal from the front desk as being an awesome resource regarding local eateries and beaches. Our room was very clean and the atmosphere was very quiet. The rooms have kitchens, making it easy to store groceries and cook if you'd like. But, because it was just my husband and I this time, we enjoyed the local food and spent most our days at the beach. Also, the free breakfast buffet is great and the free social hour food which is monday thru wednesday is a bonus. There are nice barbecues around the hotel for your use and jacuzzis right outside the units (smallish tho). Overall, it is a great, simple place to stay in a beautiful city, especially if you are out and about most of the day.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Jessica I just want to thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. I’m so glad you enjoyed your visit and I appreciate your lovely description of our hotel and city. I'm pleased that Hanbal truly added additional value when it came to information on the local area, we will be sure to recognize his stellar service. Thank you again for sharing this experience with TripAdvisor and we look forward to your next trip to our beautiful city.