“Conveniently located, lots of extras!”

Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed here for a week on vacation, very conveniently located to I 5, La Jolla and other locations nearby. There is a shopping mall nearby to stock your room. Extras include breakfast daily-decent hot or cold selections, three nights happy hour with food served, soda at any time, newspapers, etc. They also had a shuttle although we found it hard to schedule We booked an executive suite on line for a decent price-full kitchen, living room, and two baths/bedrooms. Staff was friendly and rooms were above average in condition and cleanliness. Pool area is close by, and several of he "quad" areas have four person Jacuzzis. We used both several times during the week and they were almost always empty, or only a few other people.

The one thing abut this hotel is that when it is fully booked as it was for a few days we were there due to UCSD commencement nearby was that PARKING was hard to find and when you did it was distance away from our room. They charge $14 per day for parking, which I originally thought was the typical Marriott way to increase revenue but I now believe they do it to discourage people from bringing cars, or to try on street parking

Overall a great value and experience, would go back for same < $200 ballpark price.

Room Tip: Get a Penthouse Executive suite, watch on line for best prices as they do change, we stayed o the No...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Morgan S, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Hello tqmman2002, everyone here at the hotel very much appreciates your review of your recent stay with us. We graciously accept the kind words about our friendly and caring staff. We strive to ensure the upmost standards when it comes to the cleanliness of our suites and happy you found them to be just that. Our hotel offers guests a complimentary buffet breakfast and during the week evening social hours that includes dinner served with beer, wine, and soft drinks, I'm glad to hear you took full advantage of it. We are very delighted to hear that you got to enjoy "lots of extras", so definitely come stay with us again on your next vacation.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I was in town for a meeting and was very pleased with this hotel. The room was like a mini apartment fully equipped with a full kitchen, living room ect.
Had to pay $14 for parking which I found strange since the room fee typically allows you to park in their lot.

Would def. suggest this place to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Amanda S

Hello Amanda S thank you so much for sharing your experience with TripAdvisor! We all are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate your excellent rating. Thank you again and we look forward to your next trip to La Jolla!!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed June 11, 2013

My friend and I arrived on Amtrak and departed from the airport, so we reached this hotel by Supershuttle for $16 per person, not bad. We were in town one night to attend a concert at the University of California San Diego of the La Jolla SYmphony and Chorus, a wonderful event. I found that this hotel was within walking distance and we had a great time. These buildings have obviously been here awhile and are showing their age and are reached by rather narrow pathways. Having said that, the suite with kitchen was attractive. I was going to sleep on the sofa bed, but upon examination of the mattress, found that it was pretty lumpy, so my friend and I handled the matter another way. ( We would have had to call the staff to have the sofa bed made up, anyway. ) We were cordially welcomed by Larraine and all the employees were most welcoming. In my opinion, the breakfast buffet was one of the better ones I have encountered for this type of hotel. ( My friend said he found the king size bed rather uncomfortable, which was not my opinion. He is one of the fussier people I know! ) Overall, a nice place to stay for our brief stay in La Jolla and I can easily recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank EAZELIFF
Morgan S, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Hello EAZELIFF I hope this message finds you well. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. It is even more appreciated that you, a Top Contributor to TripAdvisor, wrote a review and it was a positive one. We will definitely let our staff know that they are doing a great job with letting our guests feel welcomed, and specifically Larraine since you mentioned her. It's great to hear that you had a wonderful time at seeing the La Jolla Symphony and Chorus event during your stay, this would be something future guests of ours might look into doing as well. Thank you again for your review and we hope to have you again.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

First stay at this property and would stay here again. Lots of value for the money; comfortable bed, acceptable bathroom and very functional kitchen. Front desk staff were excellent; always cordial and accommodating; Morgan was outstanding, and Austin was very helpful. Breakfast is not bad, but very crowded with guests jamming the buffet area each am. Location is excellent for La Jolla and UCSD access; but surprisingly secure as it's tucked away in the small canyon slightly below the main street activity.

Drawbacks were the absence of elevators to the 2nd floor which necessitates1st floor unit assignment if luggage or mobility are issues. The lower level units really are noisy from the staircase activity and poor sound insulation from 2nd floor rooms. Since this is a very popular choice with families don't expect elegant furnishings; they are in need of updating and a bit worn out but still acceptable. Afternoon reception is limited to Mon. - Wed. which was odd and disappointing for a end of week business traveler.

As others stated previously this very decent property and well priced for the location and local La Jolla access.

Room Tip: Check with front desk staff and request a first floor room if you have lots of luggage, or small chi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mosh

Hello mosh I hope you are having a great day today. I want to thank you very much for your review of the recent stay with us. Your Senior Contributor status on TripAdvisor shows that you truly are a great value when it comes to reviews and we are glad we were able to exceed your expectations. I appreciate you mentioning Austin and myself in your review. Individual recognition like that is not always done often, I’m thankful and happy that we were able do give you memorable service. Thank you again for time and I look forward to the next time you stay with us.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed here recently on a quick overnight business trip and I really enjoyed the property. It is unique as it looks like an apartment/condo complex that has been converted.

I just had a studio king room ($154/night) but it was quite large. There was a living room area with a couch, chair and nice size TV. The kitchen had a full size dishwasher, fridge and oven with a desk that separates the kitchen from the living room.

Outside there are built-in gas bbq grills (the nice stainless ones) near every few buildings. There seemed to be several pools. They are small but well maintained. I also noticed a small sand volleyball court, playground and some other little touches througout the property as I drove through.

Great area, right next to UCSD and just minutes from La Jolla Cove.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RobScott1975

Hello I hope this message finds you well. Everyone here at the hotel values your excellent review/rating of your stay. La Jolla is truly a gem in San Diego with its local attractions/activities, scenery, and location. We are very fortunate to be situated just perfectly so you can enjoy all of it. Thank you again for your time we appreciate you review!

Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

We stay there every time we visit our son in UCSD. Location is great and good value for the price. Rooms are spacious and clean. Awesome hiking trails nearby, plenty of restaurants, and close to downtown La Jolla.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank shobha t

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Residence Inn La Jolla is a great family hotel. I want to shout out to Mr. Mavis Aribrosio for his Outstanding Customer service!! The hotel is super clean and great full breakfast buffett.
This is the reason why I'm a Platinum member of Marriott rewards..

Keep up the great work!! BZ!!

V/r,