“Unremarkable, Standard Issue Property”

Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Three night stay in January 2013. Location is goo, convenient to La Jolla and San Diego. Property itself is getting pretty tired and would benefit greatly from some updating. Breakfast was only passable. Parking charge added up but some fee is understandable, given the constrained location. Not great value for money, would think twice before returning.

Room Tip: For longer stays the property is convenient to grocery and other shopping.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank jreilly2010
Morgan S, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Hello jreilly2010, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We gratefully accept your candid review and understand everyone has their own views, whether good or bad, we can find opportunities to grow. Taking into account that we are an older property, one of the first Residence Inns every made in fact, preventative maintenance and renovation is something we do make investments in. Over the lifetime of the property being open we have been through a few full scale renovations and annually we invest in smaller specific improvements, one recent example was a full re-pavement of our properties parking lot. Guests that have been staying her over the years have loved the improvements that we continue to make and acknowledge our dedication to giving them a more pleasant experience in all aspects. The last full renovation was in late 2009 so we anticipate another in the next couple years. Again thank you for your time and we appreciate your review.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Nice room but its a split there is a bedroom and bath upstairs but the wall is half a wall and no door
The bathroom was tight but the bed was comfortable and clean
Downstairs we had 2 queen beds and a larger bathroom with a mini kitchen which is nice, the is a bar b q grill you can use and a open fire pit. The breakfast was nice with fruit and eggs, cereal etc
Parking is 10 a night but you can park on the street for free check signs. We parked right outside the gate one night and around d the corner another

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Bak1010 good afternoon I hope this message finds you well. Thank you for taking the time to rate and review our hotel during your stay in January. Overall it appears you enjoyed your stay and we are delighted to hear this. One specific point you mentioned, which is on a lot of our guests minds, is that you can avoid the parking fee if you wish. There is off property parking on Gilman Drive and on the cul-de-sac coming into the hotel driveway. When a guest is upset about the fee we do try to give them options and this is one that usually works out great. Thank you for the review and hopefully you have another chance to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This place is showing it's age from peeling doors to over used in room coffee pots. The hotel is very average and charges for high-speed internet in the rooms despite what is implied on the Marroit's and the hotel's web sites. The breakfast was marginal and for the most part room temp or cold. Those the breakfast area is large the path around the buffet seemed crowded. I have come to expect an average experience at any Residence Inn and this location just confirmed that.

Room Tip: Location allows pets. Has a social hour Monday thru Wednesday.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bubbabingo
Morgan S, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Hello bubbabingo, thank you for taking a moment to write a review of your recent stay with us. In your review you described some very concerning issues that you experienced and I want to take this time talk about them. As you mentioned we are an older property, one of the first Residence Inns built in fact so we would show our age by our overall layout. We do take necessary steps in the upkeep and cosmetic maintenance of the property to keep it appealing and up to date. Having peeling doors or old coffee pots are not typical and we apologize that something like that is visible or has been an oversight by our maintenance staff. Enforced direction by our management has been implemented to prevent an occurrence like this from happening again in the future.
High-speed internet was mentioned by you as being an amenity that we charge for which is advertised as complimentary. I am sorry for the misunderstanding but we do have free high-speed internet that is easily accessible from all guest suites. What you may be referring to as a charged service is our Connect Plus option. We have the free service that a guest can use to check email, chat, or casual web browsing. The Connect Plus option is available for our guests that need the extra amount of bandwidth needed to stream videos, play console gaming devices, and video chatting. It is a minimal fee per day to keep a guest "connected", but most of our guests find the free service to be more than adequate for their needs. I am sorry for the confusion, we do try to make it as simple and hassle free as we can. So if you want the free service click “connect” and if you want the high speed/data click “connect plus”; it will ask for name and room number and you’ll be all set.
The most concerning issue you pointed out was with our complimentary breakfast. As a brand we strive to bring guests a sustainable hearty meal and have high standards when preparing and serving it. Having a hot buffet breakfast is one key selling point for most of our guests and if it is not hot we have not meet our expectations or yours. I am deeply sorry for this oversight and hope you accept our apologies. We will take this as a learning opportunity and pass this on to our kitchen staff.
Residence Inn is widely known as the home away from home and a place where someone can relax and enjoy themselves when traveling. That is our hotels goal, striving to meet and deliver Marriott world class service and standards. Our last full renovation was in late 2009 and we think we've done well to keep ourselves modern and inline with our competition. We will in a couple years get another renovation which we look forward to. In the meantime we will continue to be proactive to keep up the property. Thank you again for your time and hope you have a great day.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed at a 2 bedroom suite, having one room in the second floor and the remaining room and living room in the first floor.

The stairs are really small and steep. The bed on the top floor is a queen, having space for a king it is wrong to have a small bed.

At night there is a light that can´t be turned off at the stairs that iluminates the top floor so you can not have a dark room at all. This could be solved with a movement sensor and I don´t know why they have not considered that.

The refrigerator is absolutely noisy just to have a non sleep night.

I stayed several years in the past at this property and the sorprise this time is that they charge $12 dollars a day to have your car in the property. That is VERY annoying, since you do not know that extra fee until you check in.

My opinion is that a Residence Inn should have always a parking space for free for the guests.

Room Tip: Ask for suites on the ground floor, on a quiet spot of the Hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MPM_WORLDWIDE

MPM_WORLDWIDE, Hello I hope this message finds you well. Thank you for taking time to write a candid review of our hotel. We appreciate the feedback and comments whether they are good or less than great. You addressed a few different "opportunities" for us to improve on and I like to take a moment to discuss them.
You described having a suite that was a "2 bedroom suite" which from the information appears you had one of our Penthouse suites as we don't have "2 bedrooms". In the upstairs loft area you mentioned the queen bed that is situated in the area was small and that a king could be placed there. We all do enjoy larger beds and we wish we could have that size as it would make so many guests happier to have that. Unfortunately it comes down to life/safety codes that prevent this from happening. The square footage in that area only permits a queen bed to allow ample room for safe evacuation in an emergency situation.
Next you talked about the stairs in the suite that lead up into the loft space in the suite. They are steep and we take necessary precautions to ensure the safety of our guests. This is why there is a small light that illuminates the steps. It is very rare that we get complaints or issues with this as most guests understand we don't want an unfortunate slip down the stairs because someone didn't see them possibly walking over to the bathroom late at night. Not having the light attached to a motion sensor also ensures it is constantly working and if it wasn't our staff would notice it and get it replaced immediately.
I am sorry that the refrigerator was loud for you and again this isn't something that is normal and typically doesn't affect a guests' sleep. This is possibly a maintenance issue that needed to be looked at and if notified we would have resolved it. We always encourage our guests to notify us of any discomfort or problems as we would act quickly to fix and resolve the issue.
Parking in La Jolla is a commodity as space is limited and not always easy to find. We came to the decision to charge for parking much later than neighboring hotels in the area. We understand having this extra miscellaneous fee may seem unnecessary to you the guest but we’ve found it is. To have parking readily available for our guests we secure the premise and ensure only registered guests are parked on the property. On site staff secure the lot by patrolling and tagging vehicles not displaying parking permits. You wouldn’t believe how often this can happen and towing someone for parking in “your” paid parking spot is our means to accomplishing this. Fortunately if you were to price shop parking fees in the area we are one of the LOWEST in La Jolla. Some hotels charge $20 or more to park without in and out privileges, “who wants to bring a car and not use it?... without having to pay for it”. With our lot you come and go as you please enjoying what La Jolla and San Diego have to offer, on your own terms without fee after fee. Additionally if a guest books a reservation with us directly we do notify them of the parking fees that we do have. Only time this is not true is when a guest books on their own online. Yet even with this our website informs you of this fee and confirms it in your confirmation. If a guest provides an email address we send a confirmation at time of booking, a week prior, and again a day before arrival as well; all having a room pricing breakdown and notification of a parking fee.
I hope the explanation and information I’ve provided gives some clarity to the “reasons behind the whys”. We thank you for visiting our hotel again and hope you still choose to do so. In La Jolla you have other options in hotel accommodations but we firmly believe we are one of the best choices. I appreciate your time and wish you have a great and pleasant evening.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I spent four nights here for our 42nd anniversary. January 17-21. On our first night, Lemec, who registered us, sent us a fireplace log and a nice note for our anniversary. There was always plenty of breakfast food, never running out, even though the hotel seemed full. All the staff were friendly. It was a perfect place to stay. We will definitely be back. I know they had nothing to do with the weather, but it was perfect. In the 70's every day!!

• Stayed: January 2013
Morgan S, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Lifgma032210 thank you very much for coming onto TripAdvisor to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We are thrilled that you found our accommodations perfect for you during your Anniversary. You said that Lemec took the time to recognize the special occasion with a pleasant surprise from us. We truly do take pride in our personalized service and sincere interest in our guests. We will be sure to commend Lemec and let him know how great of a job he did. Thank you again for writing this review and sharing your special trip with us. Congratulations on the 42nd Anniversary and come visit us during the 43rd!

Reviewed January 17, 2013

The hotel is a surprisingly complete experience. Breakfast is included and some dinners. The rooms are nice, large and well-equipped. The location is in walking distance of some stores and UCSD. The heating in the two level rooms is very uneven - much too hot upstairs when it is correct downstairs - opening the window becomes necessary. It makes for a difficult sleep.

Room Tip: Ralph's supermarket is a good place to shop. The Vietnamese and Japanese restaurants nearby are...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Hello I hope this message finds you well. I wanted to take is time to thank you for giving our hotel an excellent overall rating, we very much appreciate it! I apologize that you did have some frustrations with the heating in your Penthouse suite. Unfortunately hot air rises and that leaves the upstairs a bit warmer than downstairs. We empathize and wish there was a way to change that to make it more comfortable for you. I know TripAdvisor readers will appreciate also the "Room Tip" you mentioned as well. The restaurants you are referring to are Pho La Jolla; Vietnamese and Yumi Maki Sushi; Japanese, they are great inexpensive places to eat that are walking distance from the hotel. Again we appreciate the time you took to write your review and we thank you very much. We hope you have a great and wonderful day!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stay at Marriott hotels all the time, for many years, due to my business travels. I can honestly say, this is the worst stay I ever had in a hotel.

First of all, I am a platinum member at marriott. But even if I wasn't, I would still expect a minimum professionalism and customer service. The people who work the front desk, and the manager are not that good at their job. You get the feeling that they really don't care about you.

The one night I spent there was a sleepless night, because the family upstairs was making noise all night and even in the morning. When someone walks upstairs you can hear them. It is not a place designed for noise isolation. But that can be understandable as this is an old property. What is not acceptable is the behavior of employees when you report to them the issue.
I called the front desk, and an employee, Tanya, answered with less than pleasant tone, not even apologetic for the discomfort I experienced due to a sleepless night. When I went to the front desk to check out, the guy asked me "how was your stay". I Said it was terrible and I was explaining why. While he was listening, I see the supervisor (His name is Morgan), also listening but looking at some paper work or a magazine or something. I was shoked! How can a supervisor not jump into the conversation that involves a customer complaining!!! And not just any customer! A platinum member! So I made the remark, and then Mr Morgan said "I am not the manager". That's when the manager, who also happens to be listening and not reacting, came out of his office and pretended that he is addressing the issue. His business card says that name is George Flores. Mr Geroge did not acknowledge any bad customer service and tried to push the issue aside blaming it on old property, etc..

Worst of all, he lied to me. He said he would investigate the issue and call me on my cell phone. Two weeks later, I haven't heard from him.

I am actually shocked that that guy is a manager at a residence inn marriott, and maybe this explains the lack of professionalism of his employees or lack of motivation. They are probably poorly managed and not motivated to do a good job and they can get away with it, because they manager is probably the same way.

I urge Marriott to look closely at how this place is managed and to take action. It is a shame that such a nice place in beautiful la jolla is not being run by competent folks.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank heithem
Morgan S, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Our hotel management team felt we addressed and acted in an appropriate manner in regards to this particular situation. The guests that were in question of being loud and noisy were very kind and considerate when we spoke to them. They did have a suite that had stairs so walking up those could cause some noise. After the first notification the guests, a couple, moved to the upstairs room to avoid any disturbance to the downstairs neighbor. We were informed they went to bed and stayed in the smaller bed the rest of the night. A few more calls continued to come in from the guest about noise but none were confirmed by staff that physically went to the area; we didn't gain access to the room that was experiencing the noise. After the complaint in the morning we further investigated with the guests in the larger suite upstairs again. They said after the second time we called they went to bed early, turning off the TV and laid in the bed silent, because they were feeling a little uncomfortable. It was unfortunate that the experience happened but we felt we addressed the issue to the upmost degree. We empathize for both the reviewer and the guest we disturbed upstairs. Our goal is for all our guests to have an enjoyable and positive experience.

Morgan Sandy