“Have to pay for parking per day”

Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have to admit, this hotel was really nice. Their daily breakfast was good & the location was near other restaurants. Pet friendly with nearby grass area for daily routines.

My overall stay here was great but my one complaint is the parking fee. It was $12/day. My husband & I stayed for the weekend but if we had decided to stay longer, the parking fee would have added up. For an extended stay hotel, I don't understand the fee. Maybe it's typical of hotels in La Jolla but I can only imagine if I had to stay here for a week, which I probably would not do just because of the parking fee.

Room Tip: If you can find a hotel that does not charge for parking fee, get that instead but if you must get t...
3  Thank wanderlust1979
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Close Torry pines Drive and the beaches and yet quiet and secluded. Very large rooms and lots of amenities for cooking etc. reasonably good hot breakfast, all for about $110/ night. Parking is $12/night. Very nice helpful staff.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at the end of Sept. while visiting the San Diego area. This hotel is about 9 miles from downtown San Diego, but with easy access to the major highways, it is an easy drive to the attractions of San Diego. Our room was a studio suite which included a King bed, pull out sofa in the sitting area, bathroom and full kitchen. Our room was ready upon arrival and check in was efficient. The parking area was congested as part was closed for renovation. This work was completed before we left and the parking situation at this property is greatly improved.
Our first night stay was a Wednesday and a Bar-B-Q dinner was INCLUDED. They also include a hot breakfast buffet every day which was very good and served in a comfortable dining area. We expected to find mostly business people staying at this extended stay residence, but were pleasantly surprised to find many families making use of the property. The location was desireable as it is in the mostly residential and quiet area of La Jolla.

Room Tip: The rooms are spread outover a large are so we asked for a location that would be easy walking dista...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SandMike
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My family stayed at the RI LaJolla for a long weekend recently and the property is very nice and well maintained. The buffet breakfast had all the choices a family could ask for in terms of food and drinks. The pools and jacuzzis are well kept and in good locations on the property. The room was nice with a pull out bed that our daughter slept on. I would highly recommend this property for a home-base for a trip to La Jolla.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Great location, love the spacious rooms and living area. Bar-b-que pits (propane) are located downstairs outside convenient to each unit. These are great condo style units. Workout room is clean and nice and the free breakfast are a little bit better than other free breakfast hotels. Parking is a bit troublesome as not much street parking available and parking on premises is a nightly fee. Bathrooms are nice size. I had an upstairs unit which incorporates a separate loft bedroom area both up and down and two bathrooms. Not much indoor privacy as the bedrooms are open and doesn't have doors or dividers to close off the bedrooms. Kid friendly and close to shopping, restaurants and bars. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Great place to stay for adults and the area is very nice. But beware about the family suite. There is nothing "family" about it, especially for little kids. Its a loft with the queen beds downstairs and a queen upstairs in the loft. The problem is that the to get to the top floor of the loft you have very steep stairs which is not a good idea for a family suite with little kids! What's worse is that the upstairs divider "half-wall" that overlooks the bottom floor of the loft is where the bed is, and its literally the same height of the bed! So when my kids went upstairs and were playing on the bed, there was literally no barrier that would have prevented them from falling 20 feet to the bottom level. When I realized this after seeing them play on the bed I almost had a heart attack! Please rename this room, its not for families! Or maybe it should be called "Family Suite for Older Children."

3  Thank Leon R
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Just completed a stay at this Generation 1 Residence Inn with over 35 buildings that make up the property. Since I recently received three "tripadvisor" window sticker to give to properties, I gave one of my 3 stickers to the Asst GM of the property. He stated they used to have one, but didn't know what happened to it. He said he would take it. Upon check out three days later, no sticker posted, oh well.
This is a huge property and the previous comments about parking is spot on. I even asked the front desk clerk where the overflow parking was just in case, but he informed me, "oh, you shouldn't have to worry about that the next few nights." More about this later.
Yes, the rooms are fairly renovated so no issues about looking nice. These first generation style RI's have such small shower and toilet areas it is really starting to get to me. The sink area and counter is fine. I was recently in Vancouver BC and they have been the only RI, for years that supplies Paul Mitchell Body Lotion, what wrong with the US Properties? Since the recession of 2008, no lotion. Can you please bring that back? The soap, bath and face, suck. I always bring my own.
I felt my room was adequately cleaned each day, but maybe by tipping housekeeping, helps.
Breakfast area is large and things were well stocked and clean. Kudos! Wednesday night BBQ was tasty and nice variety.
Lastly, parking is $12. My last night, a Wednesday night, at 11:30 PM, not a place to be found. To top it off the overflow parking lot was chained off? What? I ended up parking in guest registration, which, besides accessible parking, was the last spot in the entire lot. Unacceptable if I am paying $12 a night, I should have some spot to park in.
Overall, I was happy about the stay, but Mgmt. needs to address the parking.

Room Tip: Don't stay out late at night or risk not getting a parking spot.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business