“Very Nice and practical but with a warning!”

Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Great place to stay for adults and the area is very nice. But beware about the family suite. There is nothing "family" about it, especially for little kids. Its a loft with the queen beds downstairs and a queen upstairs in the loft. The problem is that the to get to the top floor of the loft you have very steep stairs which is not a good idea for a family suite with little kids! What's worse is that the upstairs divider "half-wall" that overlooks the bottom floor of the loft is where the bed is, and its literally the same height of the bed! So when my kids went upstairs and were playing on the bed, there was literally no barrier that would have prevented them from falling 20 feet to the bottom level. When I realized this after seeing them play on the bed I almost had a heart attack! Please rename this room, its not for families! Or maybe it should be called "Family Suite for Older Children."

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Leon R

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Just completed a stay at this Generation 1 Residence Inn with over 35 buildings that make up the property. Since I recently received three "tripadvisor" window sticker to give to properties, I gave one of my 3 stickers to the Asst GM of the property. He stated they used to have one, but didn't know what happened to it. He said he would take it. Upon check out three days later, no sticker posted, oh well.
This is a huge property and the previous comments about parking is spot on. I even asked the front desk clerk where the overflow parking was just in case, but he informed me, "oh, you shouldn't have to worry about that the next few nights." More about this later.
Yes, the rooms are fairly renovated so no issues about looking nice. These first generation style RI's have such small shower and toilet areas it is really starting to get to me. The sink area and counter is fine. I was recently in Vancouver BC and they have been the only RI, for years that supplies Paul Mitchell Body Lotion, what wrong with the US Properties? Since the recession of 2008, no lotion. Can you please bring that back? The soap, bath and face, suck. I always bring my own.
I felt my room was adequately cleaned each day, but maybe by tipping housekeeping, helps.
Breakfast area is large and things were well stocked and clean. Kudos! Wednesday night BBQ was tasty and nice variety.
Lastly, parking is $12. My last night, a Wednesday night, at 11:30 PM, not a place to be found. To top it off the overflow parking lot was chained off? What? I ended up parking in guest registration, which, besides accessible parking, was the last spot in the entire lot. Unacceptable if I am paying $12 a night, I should have some spot to park in.
Overall, I was happy about the stay, but Mgmt. needs to address the parking.

Room Tip: Don't stay out late at night or risk not getting a parking spot.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We had the suite with 3 queen beds and met frients from Germany there. Awesome experience. Breaksfast and manager evenings so nice and good. Outdoor dining area and firepit to relax. Hot tub. Clean, clean, clean. SO NICE FRONT DESK STAFF AND FOOD SERVICE PERSONNEL and MAID STAFF. You can walk to Rockbottom, TGI Fridays if you want to take a break from driving. Close to the airport. We had a rental car. You will enjoy...definitely.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stayed here with a large group and was pleased with how they can handle a large number of people during breakfast. The breakfast area was large enough to accommodate all of the guests, even though this sprawling hotel has a lot of rooms.

A few complaints though:
1. The room service is not so much a room service but only a "towel replacement service". Saw the cleaning woman leave my room less than five minutes after the went in. No cart, just towels. She basically made the beds, and changed towels. Didn't clean anything.
2. Parking is $12/night. Not sure why we need to pay this; who is going to park at the hotel other than the guests? And, if you are going to make me pay to park, then you should police the lot and tow those people who take up two spots with their s%^&$y parking jobs ...

Note that for the two bedroom suites, there is not a solid wall or door to be found between the rooms. It's a complete open loft, where there is no privacy in any the rooms ... except the bathrooms.

Room Tip: This is an "old school" Residence Inn, where it is a series of small townhouse like buildi...
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I selected this Residence Inn due to its proximity to I-5 and the La Jolla business district. I do not typically select Residence Inn for short stays, and this hotel has inspired me to revisit the brand. While this hotel is first-generation Residence Inn – multiple buildings, exterior access to suites – the suites are modern. The décor resembles the new Courtyard interiors – red hues with striped carpet. There was a wide selection of cable channels, and the wireless internet operated at rapid speed. The mattress was not particularly forgiving, and I would rate it 5/10 on the comfort scale. Also, land is a premium, and the villas were practically adjoined. Suffice to say, the well-spaced interior is compromised by the exterior. I will say that this may have been exacerbated by the room and parking lot closures. In essence, there was a high concentration of guests. Nevertheless, if you’re looking for privacy and serene moments outside, this would not be the place.

The complimentary breakfast was generous – eggs, bacon, sausage, oatmeal, and an array of pastries. The exercise room was reasonable for the size of hotel and featured the standard equipment. The treadmills had personal television screens.

There were three non-normal events during my stay. First, the parking lot was repaved which caused congestion. I arrived one evening and the crew redirected me to the east entrance. It would have been helpful if there was signage, but this just a minor inconvenience. The hotel waived the $12 parking fee which was a commendable gesture. Second, there was a water issue in one part of the hotel, and those rooms were closed. Since my room type was not available, I was upgraded to a larger suite which was another welcome gesture. Finally, the in-room smoke detectors were scheduled for annual maintenance. The hotel provided ample notice, and I would not have noticed had they not brought it to my attention. In short, any one of these issues could have paralyzed the hotel. The management did a commendable job to ensure minimal disruption.

Regarding location, there are a variety of dining options within walking distance including Rock Bottom Brewery, California Pizza Kitchen, and TGI Friday’s. In summary, this Residence Inn earns a solid four stars.

Pros: Spacious suites, ample breakfast, proactive management

Cons: Mattress not forgiving, $12 parking fee, suites in close proximity

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank scl44
Morgan S, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Hello scl44 thank you for the review you recently posted here on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your detail account of your stay and are glad for the most part that it was a positive one. I want to apologize that you didn't find your mattress comfortable and relaxing. Our mattresses were replaced during our full renovation in late 2009 so we would like to think they are still in good condition. If you ever come back to the area we would invite you to come stay with us again and hopefully get you in a bed you can enjoy a lot more. Thank you again and we all hope to see you here on your next trip.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

My son is a student athlete at UCSD and so we mark quite a few trips to La Jolla during the school year. We usually do hotwire and end up at another hotel but for move out in June we booked the Res Inn. I am glad we did. It is so convenient to campus. The grounds are clean and the rooms are comfortable. It was the perfect spot to do laundry and pack him up for the summer!

When returning for the fall, he needed to be back 3 weeks before he could move into his apartment. So I turned to the Res Inn again. We got a good rate for a loft room and had a great stay. I walked to Whole Foods most days to pickup fresh foods to grill for dinner. We enjoyed the wednesday BBQ.

The laundry room is convienent but a bit expensive. But it is right next to the beautiful fire pit so it was a pleasure to sit and do laundry while relaxing next to the fire.

Hotel staff is great. Very helpful and willing to go out of their way.

The workout room is small but well equipped.

My only complaint is that a lot of guests smoke. Because then rooms are non-smoking they smoke outside the rooms. I wish therenwas a way to put them all in the same area and spare the air around us non-smokers. But that isnt't the hotel's fault.

This will be our go to hotel until ournson graduates.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quiet and near the pool.
2  Thank kcsunshine60

Thank you for taking the time to rate and write a review about our hotel. We are thrilled to hear that you find our hotel to be so accommodating and convenient to the needs you have when visiting or dropping your son off at UCSD. Our hotel is very fortunate to have such a prime location near the campus and other local attractions. We very much appreciate your business and look forward to your next stay with us soon!

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stayed here for the second time this year to move my daughter into her dorm - stayed three nights. We arrived on Tuesday afternoon, and were able to take advantage of both free evening buffets (spaghetti & meatball and hamburgers/hotdogs/chicken) for the first two days. The breakfast buffet was also good. Our king single had a full kitchen; sofa sleeper was comfortable.

1  Thank John L
Morgan S, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Hello John L, thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay’s’ with us. It is great to hear that you found our property to be a perfect fit and convenient to visit your daughter at UCSD. We very much appreciate the feedback and comments! We will see you soon on your next trip here, Thank you again for the review!