“Very cozy dinner at Brockton Villa”

Brockton Villa Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Brockton Villa Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 1,231 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Prospect
Reviewed August 18, 2014

I must admit upfront that I was wary of eating here after having walked the beach in front of the restaurant and being over-whelmed by the stench. I'm not sure if it is the seals or what, but something smelled awful. However, once we sat down at Brockton Villa, on the veranda overlooking the water, it was a beautiful dinner and evening, with no real noticeable smell. If there was a smell, it was quickly overlooked by the view and the great service.

We were here for dinner on 8/15, a table for 2 on the veranda. I had a wedge salad that was fresh, and tasty. I then tried the filet with the crab claws added. The steak was very good, cooked to the right temperature. It was a Wednesday, so wine bottles were half price, which was a nice touch! This was not my first visit here, and the food is always very good.

I do want to mention the service. I cannot remember the name of our server, but he was awesome. There when anything was needed, but still left us alone for business discussions too. At one point it was getting cool, and he brought out a blanket for my companion, which was very much appreciated.

I highly recommend this spot.

Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Stopped here for brunch while visiting the beach. A good menu, breakfast dishes served until 3pm at weekends. A good selection of American favourites mixed in with mexican influence. A good vegetarian selection as well

Reviewed August 15, 2014

Seeing La Jolla for the first time is an experience in it's self. It is so quaint and charming. The views from the village are picturesque. Down at waters' edge are seals paying a basking on the shore. Right above, the Brockton Villa Restaurant is located. It's location and charming exterior makes you want to sit and enjoy the view. Well, the smell waffing up from the beach is sometimes a bit strong. The disapointment of the food and the service makes me think of a poorly thought out eatery. Both my husband and I commented the food was flavorless. I tried ordering extra salad dressing, soy sauce after waiting 14 minutes and asking another server to get me. I used my husband's lime and cilentro from his tasteless fish taco to flavor my Chinese
Chicken Salad. I would skip this restaurant with so many others with views and better reviews to choose from..

Reviewed August 13, 2014

We had a late lunch here and it was a very nice experience. It is in front of La Jolla Cove, so the views are the best. The food is very good also!

Reviewed August 11, 2014

If you are looking for a great view then by all means head to Brockton Villa and a ask for a seat on the patio or narrow porch. However, be prepared for the possibility of a MAJOR odor from the cliffs and rocks below where masses of pelicans and sea lions spend their days in the warm (and if it's July or August -- HOT) sunshine. Parking is next to impossible but if you are determined you can find something within a reasonable stroll. Be sure to call ahead for a reservation. Brockton Villa is a small establishment and the wait for a table without a reservation on the day we went was 70 minutes. Their French toast may be worth all of this. It's unique and delicious. Our food was above average and the service was good. I would probably give Brockton Villa another try but I would check the winds first.