“Extremly disappointing”

Ranked #36 of 1,241 Restaurants in La Jolla
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: La Jolla Shores Drive
Transit: Bus Stop is located within walking distance.
Reviewed June 13, 2011

The food is nothing special, the menu never changes, the place is totally disorganized and the owner is RUDE beyond belief. My friends wanted me to make a reservation last Friday, but I was told there would a private party so I should stop by the next day and they would be able to tell me if there have seating available. The next day there was no sign that the place is closed for a private party, so I came in to ask, at which point the owner of the restaurant Barbara ran towards me yelling: OUT! GO OUT! This would be rude beyond any measure in any situation, and at a restaurant to yell at a customer who came to enquire about a reservation -- as told the previous day is plain unbelievable!!!! There are so many great restaurants in the area, I see no reason why to support this one.

1  Thank InLaJolla

Reviewed May 25, 2011

Great ambiance, great service. We had the opportunity to meet the lovely owner, Barbara. I was immediately drawn to Niki de Saint Phalle's artwork.

I was not impressed by the food, but it was a great experience. The pizza was good; the salade Nicoise not so much. I would like to return; perhaps it was not their best day.

Reviewed March 30, 2010

The matzoh ball soup was good, but the lamb shank arrived barely warm in a broth with peas, carrots, tiny potatoes and asparagus which, needless to say, rarely mixes well.
The creme brûlée was soupy buy flavorful. My husband enjoyed his ravioli in a lemon creme sauce.

Our waiter never returned to the table after the entree and when he finally came to ask about dessert, he left without even inquiring about coffee.

I would not go back.

Reviewed January 25, 2010

If you're in the mood for a quaint and unique atmosphere with mind-blowing home made bistro fare, Barbarella is a fantastic option in the La Jolla area.

My first experience there was an amazing champagne brunch with gooey fresh-baked cinnamon rolls (Barbara's grandmother's recipe I'm told) and a generous sausage omelet and fresh fruit. Halloween is my all-time favorite holiday and Barbara goes ALL OUT on the decor. Robotic ghouls, spider webs, and inflatable monsters out front all put the experience over the top. It was a beautiful fall day and from my first visit I knew this place was special.

I finally got to experience dinner and cocktails at Barbarella just this week, and I was thoroughly impressed! I started with a perfectly mixed dirty Belvedere martini and my wife had a specialty pink looking cocktail in a special glass that she said was wonderful. We shared a melty, heartwarming, comfort food bowl of french onion soup with flavorful gruyere. My friend recommended the bolognese and with home made fettuccine it was nothing short of spectacular. Something as simple as fettuccin with meat sauce typically isn't the type of dish you would consider memorable, but I'll never forget this meal. My wife enjoyed a perfectly cooked fresh piece of salmon with veg that made her quite happy.

We couldn't help but accept the offer for dessert, and we split some ridiculous chocolate lava cake with banana gelato that they make from scratch in the restaurant. And although at this point we were stuffed, we cleaned that plate and were left with huge happy smiles on our faces.

Overall, the service we received, the quality of the food on the unique menu, and the breathtaking location a stones throw from the Pacific, were more than enough to deserve 5 glowing stars. Not only would I recommend this gem to anyone I know, but I will certainly be back!

Reviewed April 22, 2009

We loved everything about this place. Dinner at Barbarella was a wonderful ending to a wonderful California day.

Fodor's Guide gave Barbarella an excellent review, mentioning that it was reasonably priced, a cozy setting, and delicious, inventive ingreadients. We agree. The atmosphere is special, with a wonderful outdoor patio when the weather permits. We ate indoors because it was a chilly April evening.

My son and I had the most delicious baked pasta dishes. Goodness, were they rich....and worth it! We could only eat half of our entree because we devoured the bread and the Caesar salad before our entrees arrived.

The owner, Barbara, checked in with us, and she was charming. When we showed her the recommendation that was written about her restaurant in Fodor's, she asked to copy it. She was completely unaware that she had received such positive reviews. When Barbara returned our book to us, she insisted that we order a dessert "on the house". I can't remember what the dessert was, only that it was chocolate and that it vanished all too quickly.

We recommend a trip to Barbarella after enjoying a beautiful La Jolla sunset. We also recommend a visit to the Coast Guard station on La Jolla's coast, right before sunset; it is mesmerizing to watch the seals come in from the water to rest on the shores at night. We counted over 100 seals!