“Awesome experience!”

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Piscataway, New Jersey, United States
“Awesome experience!”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

While visiting a friend in La Jolla, I needed to extend my stay unexpectedly. I was able to check into the hotel without a reservation. The rates are good and they honored my automobile club discount. They desk staff were very friendly and courteous and helpful. The room was clean, neat and comfortable. This property has all the amenities a travel can ask for - fridge, microwave, free wi-fi, etc. The location is IDEAL! It is one block away from the beach and within walking distance to just about anything a traveler could need. I highly recommend this property and will be staying again the next time I visit La Jolla!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Tara H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 2, 2012

My wife was planning to be in La Jolla for a few days for a conference, and I came along as her chauffeur and hoped to enjoy a few days of relaxation near the beach. Initially we thought it might be too pricey to stay in La Jolla, so we were delighted to discover the La Jolla Travelodge. It was located in a quieter part of the city, a couple of blocks from the beach and affordably priced . While the lodge was a bit older, it was very clean, the service was great, and the staff was warm and extremely friendly. Granted this was not one of those posh La Jolla resorts, but it fit our needs perfectly, and I would highly recommend it for travelers who are looking for a great value and a great getaway.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a great long weekend in sunny San Diego, but didn't want to spend a fortune. I read all the reviews and La Jolla definitely seemed to be our best bet and I'm glad we stayed here outside of downtown since we're from NYC and it was nice to be by the beach. That said, I regret choosing the Travelodge b/c while w/in walking distance to the beach, it was a bit depressing and we certainly got what we paid for. The hotel is conveniently located near the highway but there are few good restaurants in the area and many more fast-food options, which is not exactly what we were looking for on our vacation. While the bed was clean, our "view" was of the parking lot out back from the bathroom and another parking lot out front. I understand that we're at a budget motel, but the reality of it was still depressing. The morning breakfast was so-so and while complimentary, we opted out for a grander lunch after a quick bite to make up for the lack of sustenance. The pool was closed when we were there in Sept 2011.

Overall, if you're REALLY serious about being on a budget, then this is an ok option, but if you can afford to upgrade, you really ought to consider it b/c there are so many nicer properties in La Jolla that will really make your trip memorable. We got every penny we paid for and was sorry we didn't pay more.

Room Tip: 2d floor is less noisy
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ejk2003
SleepyBearLaJolla, Manager at La Jolla Beach Travelodge, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
La Jolla Beach Travelodge is a motel. Unlike a hotel we have exterior corridors and the parking for the rooms is free and conveniently located on both sides of the building which allows guests to drive right up to their rooms. We try not to oversell our property because we are an older motel and wouldn't want anyone to confuse us with a 4 star hotel.

Aside from our reasonable rates there are a lot of benefits to staying at the La Jolla Beach Travelodge. We have a pool and jacuzzi which are heated and open year around barring some unexpected maintenance work. Our continental breakfast consists of muffins, danish, bagels, apples, oranges, coffee, orange juice, tea and all the necessary condiments.

Our rooms are very clean and well maintained. In each room we have Cable Television, fridge, microwave, coffee maker and a free wireless internet connection. Although most of the rooms don't have a view of the ocean we are just 300 yards away from world famous Wind an Sea beach. We do have one room on our third floor which does have a good view of the ocean as well as a large sundeck on three sides.

It is true there are only 3 restaurants within 100 feet of our motel. Su Casa, Mandarin House and Wind an Sea Cafe. None of which is a fast food restaurant. There are only 2 fast food restaurants in La Jolla: Jack in the Box and Subway but many others are available in Pacific Beach which is just 2 miles to the south. Downtown La Jolla has dozens of amazing shops and restaurants and is only 1 mile from us.

We are generally rated by Trip Advisor as one of the Best Values in La Jolla. This is because of our great rates, friendly staff, comfortable rooms and fantastic location. I hope you will give us a try. We would love to have you as our guest.

Daniel Nesbitt
Manager, La Jolla Beach Travelodge
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed April 14, 2012

This is one of La Jolla's best deals. We can pretty much echo everything that the other reviewers have said about this property. All our basic needs were more than adequately met. It is well-maintained and close to the beaches, restaurants, and shopping; very affordable rates, free wi-fi, free parking and very pleasant staff pretty much rounds out the great value we got from our stay at this place. Add to that the extras of fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. We really could not ask for more.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank gvwatts .
Kelowna, BC
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We stayed for three days while we were visiting the La Jolla area. We chose it because it got good reviews and was within our budget. The room was older and not very big but it had everything we wanted. A comfortable king bed, TV, fridge, microwave, coffee maker with decent coffee and a very small bathroom with a large walk in shower - no tub. The room was very clean and the pool was heated - a very nice bonus. There was no inside sitting area for breakfast, but we enjoyed eating on the benches outside and in the pool area. Breakfast was basic but reasonably fresh, consisting of cereal, bagels, muffins, pastries, apples and oranges, juice, tea, and coffee. The hotel provided a 25% off coupon to the Mexican restaurant across the street - nice! We were a short walk from the beach (two short blocks and a wonderful place to watch the sunset!) and the neighbourhood is lovely and quiet. I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chrisKelowna_BC
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed February 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed here while our son was being treated for a head injury at Scripps over Christmas. The rooms are spotless, beds comfy and the fridge and microwave a big plus.There are even laundry facilities. I can't quite say why, but there was a slightly European vibe about the place. Maybe its the white with blue trim exterior, bright flowers and professional, efficient staff.The fact that the motel is not an over built, new monster-hotel was comforting. A beautiful beach is two short blocks away and a fun Mexican restaurant across the street. I hope to return, just skip the hospital visits.

Room Tip: upstairs toward back is quieter
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Shauna M
Aguanga, California
Reviewed January 31, 2012

I recently stayed at the La Jolla Travelodge in La Jolla California while my husband had surgery at the San Diego VA Hospital in La Jolla. I recieved ecellent personal service during my stay of 11 days. My room was always clean when I returned no matter what time of day. I did have problems parking my Toyota Tundra but they made special arrangements for me so that obstacle was resolved. I could have easlity walked to the beach if I would have had the time but enjoyed seeing the Ocean on my trip to and from the hospital. La Jolla is a very nice place to visit. The front desk assisted me in finding places I needed to go to during my stay. The beds are very comfortable with great pillows and enough towels to keep me very happy! I used the frig & microwave every day since Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner were spent with my husband in his hospital room.. Resturants with take out are very conveniently located.. Enjoy! Linda G

Room Tip: Ask for a room with sunrise or sunset view.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
Mission Bay Park
The Dana on Mission Bay, BW Premier Collection

Been to La Jolla Beach Travelodge? Share your experiences!