“worth $40 a night!”

Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
NYC
“worth $40 a night!”
Reviewed August 7, 2009

I have never written a review before but I use tripadvisor.com religiously so I think it's only fair that I share my opinion.

Just to give you an idea of who this review is coming from, we are an upper-middle class family of 2 adults and an 18 and 16 year old from NY. We hate pretentious places and are not picky (have stayed at holiday inns and best westerns) We don't need super contemporary furniture or someone following us asking us if we need anything. All we expect is a clean room, a good location, and basic amenities.

Now, La Jolla Village Lodge has the friendliest staff! We arrived late and the woman at the front desk knew exactly who we were, offered to recommend a few restaurants with kitchens open late, etc. She showed us a map of the area and said that she has beach chairs and towels for us and that the beach is just 2 blocks away. We went for a stroll to check out the beach and.... it was not the BEACH! La Jolla Village Lodge is 2 blocks away from the cove which is nice to visit but definitely not somewhere you go to relax amidst the sand and waves. And, this hotel does not have a pool so that's not an option either.

Our room was pretty filthy. This is a pet friendly hotel so I'm sure that had something to do with it. The rug was stained and the bed linen was really rough. We also saw a little roach underneath the bed. The room decoration was horrendous but who really cares? The table had a glass top that wasn't attached... thereby making it useless and utterly impossible to put anything on it without moving the entire glass top. There was also a window in the bathroom that made everything visible to whoever walked by.... However, there was a microwave and mini-fridge. The AC worked well. BUT do not even try to get an internet connection here! It was abysmal and seriously frustrating when we tried to switch hotels.

The free breakfast consisted of frozen bagels (and not even based on a NY opinion) I would have rather not been offered a breakfast because I was continuously disappointed.

I would recommend this hotel for someone who is on a very tight budget, is driving down and appreciates the free parking, is staying in La Jolla for only a night or two and wants to see the village and coves rather than relax on the real beach (La Jolla Shores Beach) which is 1.5 miles away! And dont try driving there because parking around there is horrid (again coming from someone who parks in NYC for free)

One of the people in our family is very frugal and opted to pay 200 dollars more a night to move to the La Jolla Shores Hotel which allowed for us to have a relaxing vacation and see La Jolla the right way (and was not pretentious at all)

Although La Jolla Village Lodge staff are super friendly, you forget their smiling faces as soon as you walk into your room! If you are on a budget, dont stay here, go to Mexico.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
8 Thank travelandreview12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Phoenix, Az
Reviewed August 3, 2009

La Jolla Village Lodge isn't for the snooty, pretentious, look at me crowd (thank god). It has real people who run it and make you feel like out of town family guests. No corporate rules and regulations with the "screw you we are here to make money attitude" that you'll find at most places these days in coastal California.

We booked a ground floor room so we could bring our our 90lb American Bulldog with us and he was welcomed with out hesitation. The property was well cared for and clean. The room was nicely decorated, it had a king size bed, nice plasma tv, microwave, mini fridge, coffee pot, and a small cafe style table to sit at. The bathroom was a bit small and more counter space may be desired by some, but it certainly wouldn't deter us from staying again. The decks on the 2nd and 3rd floors are nice and provide a nice place to sit with out having to be in the room. All be it limited, the morning continental breakfast had tasty items and made for a good start to the day.

From the hotel/motel/lodge it's a short few block walk to just about everything La Jolla has to offer. Our dog was a welcomed guest at restaurants recommended by the staff and thus he went everywhere we did.

All in all, a great couple days and we will go back as soon as our schedule permits.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AzHeatstroke
Exeter, UK
Reviewed May 8, 2009

I stayed here with a friend for a couple of nights in May 09. We got a pretty good mid week discount. Rooms are basic but spacious and clean and beds are comfy. The staff could not be more accomadating - Celine even packed us some fresh strawberries for our day out (thanks Celine!)

I would definitely recommend this place if you want some where comfy and friendly to stay that won't drain your wallet!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank Chris B
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed December 21, 2008

From the website it doesnt look half bad. But for about 40 bucks more you can stay on the ocean in a fabulous hotel! 1st I must agree the owner is sweet as home made pie, and the outside of the hotel is fun and funky. It's an old travel lodge that is now privately owned. I liked the split levels that was cool. But that's all the good I can really say.

I had a ground level room, the box air conditioner was loud and didn't work well. The gap in the bottom of the door was large enough for someone to look into the room. The decor was cira 1950 and I think it was original! The carpet was filthy, drapes and comforter looked like south beach threw up. The bed was hard and pillows about an inch or two thick. A tiny TV and no dresser. The bathroom had no tub, the plaster was crumbling in the shower stall which was tiny. There were bars on the window and the sink was practically attached to the toilet. Bathroom is very small you could barely turn around! The tv was old and small as well. The room smelled funny like something died in there. The windows were old single paine and you could hear everything outside. I didn't end up staying the night the whole thing freaked me out. I have stayed in super 8's and motel 6 that I felt more comfortable. I was shocked at how bad it was I didn't think there would be such a place in La Jolla.

I moved to the Grande Colonial on the beach which was fantastic and only 40.00 more a night and had a fabulous ocean view and was closer to everything.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Aka_BluIz
California
Reviewed October 31, 2008

I stayed at the La Jolla Villa Lodge for about 2.5 weeks. I thought the management (owners?) were exceptionally kind. I thought they were just being overly polite, but after, my almost 3 week stay, I realized that this is there normal selves: nice, kind, and they just want to make sure that I have everything I need. They took good phone messages for me, helped me upstairs whenever I had stuff to carry, prepared a couple of informal gatherings on the third deck (where all guests were invited and fed and entertained), brought me dinner one night when one of their workers went out to eat, and even picked up 2 items for me when they were out buying supplies. Of course there was the normal stuff: The cleaning crew does an EXCELLENT job of cleaning the rooms; the few times I used any dish ware or coffee in the room, it was replenished the next time the room was cleaned; the parking is free; in the morning they serve a continental breakfast including bagels, pastries, fruit, orange juice, etc; It is La Jolla so I always felt safe, but especially here I felt extremely safe. I won't mention prices because I know that they change, according to the season and demand, but I compared prices with 9 other places around La Jolla and the cove, and this was the most inexpensive. I will definitely come back again and I do and will recommend this to my friends. I only wished that I had brought my dog, as this is a pet friendly hotel. This place is great.

• Liked — customer service that went way beyond their duties
  • Disliked — i have nothing bad to say
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
6 Thank eehdez
TX
Reviewed July 6, 2008

We stayed in La Jolla while visiting the San Diego area. I found this place through some travel book recommendations. We got a discounted rate for staying 3 nights. For the price, the location can't be beat. It was a clean room, comfy bed, and free parking. The shops, restaurants, and the beach are all within walking distance. The staff is very friendly and helpful. This is a motel, but that didn't bother me.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank haygirl16
Arizona
Reviewed April 14, 2008

We travel to La Jolla every July 4th with our two dogs and have stayed here the last three years. The location is perfect (walking distance to everything). They also do not charge a large pet deposit. It's a family owned and if you are looking for a clean place to sleep then this is it. It's not the Hilton, but the rooms are made up of a collection of IKEA furntiture. If you are traveling with pets, I recommend it. The owners throw a big party on the 4th! They always make us feel at home. I did a ton of research and it is by far the best place to stay in SD with pets.

• Liked — pet friendly
  • Disliked — building is a little older
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple