“Splendid, as always!”

The Lodge at Torrey Pines
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 2, 2009

My husband and I stayed at The Lodge for one evening to celebrate my birthday and this is the third trip we've made in the last year. We had a Palisade King room with a magnificent view of the ocean. Room service was delicious and their spa the best I've ever been. We love it here and will be back for sure!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Seafairy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,251)

Reviewed February 27, 2009

Stunning. Good food, too. My only complaint is that the walls are just a bit thin, but that is being nitpicky. Otherwise, remarkable attention to detail.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 19, 2009

Just back from a great 4 days at the Lodge--thanks to WA35 from Las Vegas below for comments regarding room 105. When making reservations I asked about this room "type" and requested something along those lines--upon arrival I was handed the key to room 105! Wow, attention to detail from the reservation department.

Room was wonderful as noted below--sure, a bit dark, but only because the hotel chose to use beautiful lamps and accent lighting and natural light as opposed to putting a bunch of 150W light bulbs in the ceiling! I liked it. Room was quite large with 2 queen beds. Housekeeping was very quick to respond to a few minor requests we had--patio outside the room was great as we sat and watched golfers on the 18th green of the course. (Note, this is a shared patio with the Gamble Suite next door and a 1-2 other rooms although each room had its own couch, table etc and it was quite large.)

AR Valentine restaurant was very nice. A bit pricey, but not outrageous. Tuna carpaccio was outstanding. The Grill--very nice, cheaper option for breakfast or lunch. Lodge is very close to Torrey Pines reserve--great hiking and only a short drive from La Jolla, Del Mar and San Diego.

All in all a wonderful place---great attention to detail, service was top notch. Views were great even though we don't golf. This is a great place to stay if you want to be "near" San Diego and all it has to offer, but aren't interested in staying in/dealing with the big city! (Parking in La Jolla is a little obnoxious, but understandable.)

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank weathermankc
Reviewed January 14, 2009

First annual girlfriends spa getaway & we chose The Lodge at Torrey Pines. Well, we were more than pleased! From the moment we pulled up, we were greeted & the fabulous treatment began. We spent 2 nights there & had a full day of spa treatments, we went to dinner there 2 nights & there wasn't a single moment that we didn't feel like we were being treated like royalty. The rooms were wonderful, the room service fabulous, the spa luxurious and dining there...well, from the bar area for drinks before dinner (with the great snacks they bring to your table) to the dinner...it was perfect. I'm a vegetarian & I didn't see anything on the menu that could work for me so they made me a fabulous dish. Pure perfection & the 5 of us gals that are already setting up our next spa getaway know exactly where we're going. I can't wait to get my husband there too!!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sidneysmom
Reviewed January 2, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Lodge for Christmas. From beginning to end the stay was wonderful. The entire property is tastefully decorated in the craftsman style and is very well maintained. The rooms are large and very comfortable. The staff was very helpful and pleasant to deal with. Especially helpful were the concierge and kilt-wearing doormen. Dining opportunities were high-quality if a bit pricey. A.R. Valentien, the primary restaurant had a somewhat limited menu but the quality was outstanding. The Grill was quite good as well but a bit loud for my tastes. The only drawback was the relative isolation of the location but La Jolla and Delmar were only a short drive away, if you have a car you'll have no problems.
In all a very nice experience and one that we'd be happy to repeat.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nearlycanadian
Reviewed November 13, 2008

The Lodge at Torrey Pines is located in a beautiful and quiet area. Lots of walking trails, gorgeous nature - the ocean is close by. The service is excellent. - absolutely unpretentious and not uppity. This is an expensive lodge and we've stayed at a lot of $$$$ resorts where the staff have attitude and if you're not dripping with money, you're treated like second class citizens. We choose to dress casually and all the staff we met were approachable, friendly and seemed to value our choosing their lodge to stay at. The valets smiled, didn't make us feel guilty for not valet parking (we were dropped off by friends), opened doors easily and we were comfortable interacting with any one of the staff. We were warmly welcomed at the front desk. The stained glass, lovely wooded reception area was beautiful. The hallways are long and the rooms good sized but these rooms are definitely 'lodge' style. The bedspreads and rugs could use replacing. Sheets and bedding were comfortable and very clean. Bathroom had shower/bath combo. I would have liked the room better if it had newer furnishings. Chairs were old too - no cushion support left. FREE wireless Internet - very, very nice touch. No ice machine on floor but when I called for ice, the service was very fast, friendly and unassuming - they didn't stand around waiting for a tip though I was happy to give them one. The ice was delivered in a beautiful ice container. We stayed here for the proximity to trails and nature and were not disappointed. Our daughter lives near UCSD so we also wanted to be close to her. I think maybe we'll try the HIlton or Marriott next time but the stay was certainly not bad - I just really like newer furnishings. It would be a great place for a conference or family reunion - lots of rooms, situated close to each other. If you stay here - get a room on an upper floor with a balcony. Sitting outside in the sun amid the pines was great. Beautiful grounds - upkeep was perfect.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank catgetsdown
Reviewed October 5, 2008

Torrey Pines Lodge is the best hotel I have stayed at in all my years of traveling. Complete staff did an outstanding job in making my wife and I feel like a king and queen during our entire stay of 5 days. They even gave us a complementry bottle of champane for our 42nd wedding Anniversery. The only problem I see is that the golf course does not give Lodge guest any golf discounts even though they are the majority of the ones that support the pro shop with merchandise purchases. The other problem I see is all hotels now charge the guest over $20.00 for self parking which is now become a common occurance at most big hotel chains which I think is rediculous. When you pay $400.00 or more for a room you would think parking would be included. The last two reason is why I did not rate the Lodge as excellent. I also do not know if the hotel has any say on what golf fees are but if they do they should intervene and give the guest a break.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Downtown
Pendry San Diego
Pendry San Diego
#2 of 286 in San Diego

Been to The Lodge at Torrey Pines? Share your experiences!