“Great check in service”

Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
San Diego, California
“Great check in service”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Checked in 9/6 2013, late evening after a long flight. Theresa and Jackie at the front desk were outstanding. I had some reservation problems which I created, and they very quickly worked out the details and had me in my room for the beginning of a most enjoyable two week stay

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Korean first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We just stayed there for 3 days and 3 nights, it was amazing. the staff was the best, from the valet guys Matt, Javier, Kevin, and others was very helpful and attentive. The bell captain Johnny was very pleasant and gave us some great tips. The front desk agent Theresa was a pleasure to deal with and we really appreciated her friendly attitude. Very close to the beautiful mall and walking distance to Starbucks. The only problem we had was with our GPS and mapquest with the directions that lead us to downtown La Jolla. That was very frustrating and we had a hard time finding the hotel because of it. Although it was not Marriott's fault, I hope it gets fixed.

Pasadena, California
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Stayed over Labor Day weekend for 2 nights. The hotel itself was nice, nothing really seemed old, and the lobby is pretty nice with a bar/patio on the other side of the main entrance. Had a double bed room, perfect for us and our young daughters.
The location was good, right across from the mall, and near a few places to eat, and with easy access to the freeway.
The hotel is indeed not close to the beach, you'll have to drive a bit, but honestly it is so convenient to be by some places we like to eat like PF Changs, Corner Bakery, and more as well as the mall there. If you need to pick something up like a bathing suit or whatever, the mall is much better priced than other parts of La Jolla.

All in all, I'd stay there again, and this was perfect for us.

One side note, the pool is definitely on the small side, FYI.

1 Thank Drew91101
San Dimas, California
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Theresa at the front desk was amazing in her help with our tricky reservation. She worked until the problem was solved. We stayed one night before my husband went into the hospital for a procedure. When he was admitted to spend a night in the hospital I went right back to the Marriott and Theresa was again working on the desk and booked the same room that we had the night before. Later in the evening when I discovered that I had a flat tire she called AAA for me. She showed such concern in making our stay a wonderful experience. As we will be returning to La Jolla for medical appointments we will always be staying at the Marriott. All of the other employees we encountered at the hotel were very friendly and helpful and the hotel itself is beautiful.

Room Tip: If it's summer the rooms on the east side have less sun exposure.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed here for two nights with two friends in July 2012.
The staff is extraordinary friendly! They treated me and my friends like their own kids, Im not kidding. The rooms are very clean, nice pool. Half an hour walk or so to the beach. There are lots of places to eat and to meat cool people, because of the University which is right there. All in all I had a really relaxing time at the hotel without any worries at all, how its supposed to be.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We had some business to take care of in San Diego County (Carlsbad and Solana Beach) and we had just stayed in San Diego 2 weeks prior so we thought we would mix it up a little and stay in La Jolla this time and spend some time there. When I think of La Jolla I think of La Jolla Village, the beach, and the Torrey Pine area (generally west of I-5). While this hotel is not that far from any of those places, it wasn't really near any of those places and it didn't really feel like I was in La Jolla per se.

With all that being said, there was nothing wrong with the hotel. While it wasn't right by any of the places I mentioned, it did have the convenience of being right by UTC / Westfield which has many shops and restaurants both in it and across from it (South on Genesee from La Jolla Village Dr. There were also a few places to eat (Pizza, Einstein Bagels, Starbucks, and more...) in Regents Park right outside the hotel. Those breakfast options might certainly help you out if you don't want to over pay at the hotel for their breakfast.

They do charge for parking but we found there to be PLENTY of parking available on La Jolla Village Dr. right outside the hotel.

I really liked the lobby area with the bar and chairs in it and the nice flat screen TVs around the lounging areas.

The room was average but did have a nice large flat screen TV with many of the channels broadcast in HD.

I don't think I would stay here again personally because it's not in an area I would care to stay in and it's not like it was any cheaper than areas I would prefer, but if I had a reason to be in the area, I wouldn't mind staying at this hotel if the price was right.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SACRAMENTO
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great location and nice, very friendly staff. Room was good size and clean. And they accomodate pets too.Close to mall and to beach is like 15 mins. And most of all its even more closer to UCSD to visit my daughter.close access to freeways, malls and restaurants.

Room Tip: King size acorner suites are large and nice view and sunny...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple