“La Jolla Marriott was very accomodating”

San Diego Marriott La Jolla
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott during a soccer tourney with the team. There were 40 of us and we decided to order Pizza and eat at the hotel. When I asked the Manager William if we can eat by the pool be balked but immediately suggested we take one of the rooms downstairs free of charge. I used to do events and I know that to rent these rooms is not cheap. That was a fast thinking solution that helped us out tremendously. The kids enjoyed it and we had some if the best pizza ever next door from Regents Pizza.

As for the Hotel itself. It was a typical business hotel. Some nice things were the surroundings and the starbucks in the lobby. And the large spa/pool was really nice to just relax in 90 degree water. I did not want to get out. The exercise facilities were well maintained .

One of the things they need to change is the 20.00 breakfast buffet. Usually I cannot eat 20.00 worth of food and to expect me to pay that much for my wife and two kids was way too much. I sulked a little because the kids really wanted to go enjoy a pancake or two and I wasn't buying. We still managed to have a 40.00 breakfast which consisted of 1 belgian waffle, oatmeal, a parfait and a bagle. So the restaurant is over priced. Also the service was lackluster.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 3, 2013

very close to freeway,nice,clean rooms.Close to mall & mostly everything.You can find all kind of food nearby.Can drive to beach & La Jolla village is just 15 mins.Very friendly staff.Parking is not free which is kind of surprise to me as This place is not even close to downtown San Diego.Reserved 2 twin beds, room was good size.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Location for us was great. Its close to several restaurants and an easy drive to downtown San Diego. Parking is expensive, but not unusual for La Jolla.
Our room was beautiful and clean. Housekeeping staff was warm and accomodating.

We had reserved a king and even though we checked in at 4pm, were told Kings were sold out. There were five people in line to check in with only 2 clerks checking people in. I understand busy periods, but can't they call for more help? As we got to the front of the line another clerk came to the counter. We had switced to giving more of our business to Marriott this year and had just turned "gold" status. I asked about happy hour and she corrected my terminology. I would have thought the hotel would be glad to explain all the services to a new gold member. Check in just did not feel like a welcoming experience. I would have expected more from such a high end Marriott. I have stayed in Marriotts all over the world and felt La Jolla was a little cold.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel have the nicest views. If the parking price is an issue, there is f...
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Hotel was in the perfect location for us and our needs. About a 15 drive to Old town La Jolla shopping and 5 minutes from the Westfield mall. This hotel is not located by the beach but is about 20 away and close to Birch aquarium. The best of all was the staff and the food. They do a nice job. Theresa at the front desk, was great and remembered us upon our return the following week as well as Amelia, Amanda and Bilal that work in the Concierge lounge, along with Rosa in the restaurant totally exceed our expectation with their outstanding service. All were so friendly and welcoming. Clean rooms, great bar area and lounges. Nice place to spend a couple of days. The staff really makes this hotel a nice place to stay. Very clean hotel.

1  Thank Beverley M
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stay at the La Jolla Marriott frequently and always get excellent service from the hotel staff. Theresa is always there providing friendly, helpful service at the front desk. Bilal and Amelia are wonderful in the concierge lounge for breakfast, always providing top notch service. They treat all the guests with respect and make great service a top priority. I enthusiastically recommend the La Jolla Marriott.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We bought a Living Social to stay at this hotel. We were disappointed that it was not by the beach. We even know the La Jolla area, so we should have known, but there it was, not even close. But the beds were very comfortable, the service was excellent, the outside bar is very nice on a warm evening. The location is in the heart of the La Jolla business district. The restaurant where we had also purchased a Living Social - Donavan's - was walking distance, but we drove since I was wearing heels. All in all it was a nice stay!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed for five days in La Jolla and both Ms Amelia and Mr. Bilal on the 15th floor in the breakfast area has provided an excellent service in the morning. They were upbeat, energatic, pleaset and tried the best to make our stay plasent as well. Service was excellent and the food was fresh.

Kutos to both of them.