“Go to hotel for my guests”

Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I live in the area, and when I have guests in from out of town I put them up at this hotel. Most recently my cousin stayed here and loved it. The rooms are quite large with large bathrooms and a fridge in the room. My cousin told me the bed was very, very comfortable. The bathroom only has a shower (not an issue for me, but she prefers baths). She greatly enjoyed the breakfast each morning.

The service is impeccable. The hotel is located right in the heart of the village. The only downside is the parking - it is valet or nothing. So I would drop her off and then go back to my home, park and walk back - not a huge issue for me as I only live a couple of blocks away, but I do like to self-park my vehicle.

Reception always has cookies available - freshly baked!

Great hotel for location and service.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank AussieNarelle
Empresss_GM, General Manager at Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for reviewing the Empress Hotel La Jolla. We are so happy you've made our boutique hotel your top choice for hosting your friends and loved ones in La Jolla, what a compliment! Thank you for your comments regarding our central location, comfortable and clean guestrooms, and the exceptional service provided by our staff. We are happy that you would share a recommendation for us and once again we thank you for the wonderful review! We look forward to welcoming you and your out-of-town guests back here soon.

There are newer reviews for Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel

Reviewed March 2, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the Empress for 4 nights during our first-time visit to the San Diego area. Friends had suggested that we stay in La Jolla. We are so glad we did, as it is a truly lovely area. Service in the hotel was very good. We didn't have a chance to eat in the hotel restaurant. But it seemed to be popular and we heard live music there. The room was spacious, clean, had Wi-Fi, a coffee maker and fridge. In addition to being within walking distance of many shops and restaurants, the hotel is within easy walking distance of the beautiful La Jolla branch of the San Diego Museum of Modern Art. We enjoyed both the exhibit and cafe lunch there. A highlight was that the hotel is also within easy walking distance of the dramatic coastline for close-up views of seals and sea lions. It was birthing season, so there were a lot of seal pups also close to shore. We went kayaking into nearby sea caves and hiked at Torrey Pines, just up the coast. But it was also a relatively easy ride south into San Diego proper. The free hotel breakfast was adequate and could be easily supplemented with the fridge in the room. We did not have to pay the $18 per day for valet parking and have no idea why anyone would do this unless staying in the hotel all day for a meeting. La Jolla has very liberal free street parking, 1, 2, or 3-hour limits during the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. So for example, if you park near the hotel in a 2-hour space, you could stay there for free from 4:00 p.m. until 10:00 the next morning. If you then go off for the day, even to another area of La Jolla, there would be no need to pay for any parking, valet or otherwise. If we ever return to the San Diego area, we would definitely stay in La Jolla and definitely choose the Empress Hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank laborman1

Dear Valued Guest,
Thanks so much for taking time to write a review. I'm so happy to read that you enjoyed our clean and spacious rooms, amenities, nearby attractions and most importantly, our friendly and helpful staff. We believe our team is truly the best in La Jolla! We value your business, please come back again soon with your next visit to La Jolla.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Location is amazing! About a block away from the beach, the Museum of Contemporary Art and is nestled in with shopping and restaurants. Amazing Italian restaurant on property and it was always hopping and full of locals, that's when you know its good! Great continental breakfast and lovely sundeck with lounge chairs and sun shades. Comfy beds and updated features at this charming boutique hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Empresss_GM, General Manager at Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Traveler,
Thank you for the nice 5 star review! I am glad you were able to enjoy so many of our amenities while you were our guest, including our complimentary breakfast and onsite restaurant. I am also pleased to read that you found our rooms to be comfortable and our location to be ideal for walking to the beach and the many shops and restaurants in La Jolla.

We look forward to seeing you next time you are in La Jolla.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Charming interior, comfy bed, clean rooms. Pretty standard hotel breakfast is on the second floor, with a nice outdoor patio.

I didn't get in until 7pm and headed out first thing in the morning. The location was fab, I slept well, I'd come again.

FYI-There is no parking, so you need to valet ($18- low for CA prices)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We spent our last 1/2 day in SoCal in La Jolla. Unfortunately (or fortunately, for us!) our flight was cancelled due to the major snow storm in Chicago. Thankfully we found out prior to heading to the airport. We started to search for a place to stay (first thought was to use our Marriott points…) but someone in one of the local shops suggested the Empress. We took a walk down, asked to see a room - and booked on the spot.

Pluses for us:

Two Queen Beds -- I hate when hotels only have double beds. Difficult for a family of four to sleep comfortably.

Clean Rooms and Bathrooms -- Very, very clean, with a nice, modern bathroom

Location -- Walk to everything

Parking -- You can valet, but you can also find off-street parking for free, which is what we did

One suggestion to management: Please upgrade your bath towels! They were quite thin.

Rate was an unbelievable $130 per night. Includes a continental breakfast, but we didn't partake.

Front desk helpful and very friendly.

The elevators were slow and clunky when we were there, but apparently this has been taken care of.

The restaurant in the hotel looks fabulous… but we opted to eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Empresss_GM, General Manager at Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Dear Traveler,
Thank you for posting your kind comments and valuable feedback, which helps ensure continued improvement to our guest experience. I am pleased you enjoyed your spacious and affordable Double Queen room as well as our fantastic location in the heart of La Jolla.

We just finished our elevator modernization and are moving forward with room upgrades that include much thicker and larger bath towels.

Thank you again for you review and please come back again soon with your next visit to La Jolla.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Overall a great stay I enjoyed the bed and linens, soft pillows. Very nice big shower and clean new bathroom. Staff blew me away, they were friendly, helpful and went above and beyond. Things I didn't like were the small robes, paying for water bottle in room, and a funky smell in the hallway. But those are minor things in an overall exceptional hotel. Especially considering they were willing to work with us on the rate on Valentine's weekend. I'll be back soon for sure!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Hotel is fine. Wireless network sucks. Won't keep the connection. Good luck getting any work done. Very frustrating. Won't stay here again if they don't fix this. Charming interior and very clean. Nice hotel. Please fix Internet connection.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Paul W
Empresss_GM, General Manager at Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Paul W.,
Thank you for posting your comments. We're pleased you enjoyed our charming decor and our clean accommodations. We are sorry that you experienced wifi issues as a hotel guest, and rest assured, we take this matter very seriously. The hotel has fiber internet with an extremely high bandwith as well as the latest wifi network system, and we typically do not experience wifi complaints. I have contacted our wifi provider to assess this issue, thank you for letting us know.

Please come again soon, we value your business!