“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay here. Stayed here for business. Room was large, clean, had everything I required. I went for a standard room which had a sofa, coffee table, and desk/dining table which was great for when working from the hotel room. Bed was very large and comfy and had good quality sleep. Shower was large, good pressure, heaps of hot water. Bathroom was generally clean and had everything I required.

Location wise the hotel is a close walk to Prospect St which has a lot of bars and restaurants. But even closer than that were some nice places including Japanese, Italian, a fancy burger place and pizza. Try the Thai one block over - best Red Curry Duck in years! Was about 5 minutes walk from the beach.

I used the valet parking for 3 days which was prompt and easy to use.

Breakfast was average but I'm not a huge fan of continental. Free WIFI worked all the time and was easy to connect and authenticate.

No pool, no spa. Crap view from my room (308).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DaveM-NZ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Empress La Jolla in late Feb, 2013, and couldn't have been happier. We reserved a regular room but when we found it didn't have a bath we asked for another. We were told it would cost an additional $100/night to upgrade to this room but after a bit of negotiating were able to get this room for an additional $50/night. Was it worth it? Absolutely!!! It was a huge 2-room suite with a dual vanity, a view of the ocean, and best of all a HUGE (think 2-person) jacuzzi right in the bedroom! The breakfast was fair but no big deal! The location was great and the staff were very friendly. Will definitely be returning to the Empress! :-)

• Stayed February 2013
Oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Great location. Clean, comfortable and relaxing. Exactly what you ordered. Rooms are well equipped with all the usuals. Iron & board in situ. Free wifi - great signal, no problems. Large rooms that have a sofa seating area too. Excellent for my business trip. Fresh orange squash, apples & fresh cookies at reception are a nice touch. Breakfast is good, gym is good.
Would consider booking for a family trip - very good value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
La Quinta, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed 4 nights at the Empress. It is a nice, clean, conveniently located hotel right in the middle of La Jolla. We arrived a little early, but were able to check in anyway. The room was a good size, clean, and had all the usual comforts (flat screen tv, wifi, small fridge, coffee maker, etc.) We didn't have a view, but didn't expect one. The great thing about this hotel is that it is within walking distance of everything you would need. All within a few blocks were a grocery store, many restaurants, shops if you want them, and the ocean.

We didn't experience any problems during our stay. Everything in the room functioned just fine, no loud noise from other guests, outside, or the restaurant. The hotel had a continental breakfast that was nothing fancy, but enough to fill us up until lunch. Cereals, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, toast, pastries, fruits, cold-cuts and cheese, juices, coffee, and even waffles. We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant, so I can't comment.

The only thing that was somewhat inconvenient was the parking situation. The hotel offers a valet service, but it was pretty expensive. We instead chose to take our chances with street parking. Just one block behind the hotel is a mostly residential street that allows overnight parking without restrictions. We didn't have a problem finding a spot during our stay - one evening we had to walk a few extra blocks, but otherwise were usually within a block or two of the hotel.

There are much fancier places to stay in La Jolla, but given it's location, I think this was a good hotel for the price (around $130/night average during our stay).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CCL_JO
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Recently stayed at the Empress Hotel of La Jolla because it was convenient to a location where I was to be a speaker. We were warmly welcomed and assigned a lovely room. However, the electrical outlets were not all working and no one on housekeeping staff was available. We had no TV and no convenient place to recharge the cell phone we planned to program to awaken us.
On the other hand, a satisfactory continental breakfast was available in a small upstairs room connected to an outdoor deck for those who wished to eat in the morning sun. The next day, in order to make our early flight home, we had to leave before breakfast was served and the attendant helped us to pack a little food to store in our in-room refrigerator. That snack was just enough to tide us over until we could get a meal at the airport.

Because there is little on-street parking in downtown La Jolla, only valet parking was convenient, and it cost $18 per night. The staff expediently retrieved our car when we needed it.

Room Tip: Though our room abutted the elevator, we heard no noise in our room and were able to sleep comfortab...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Coto de Caza, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

The Empress – La Jolla
Feb 15 – 2nts
Room – 514 – The Empress Room / King bed

Three things I liked:
The hotel is conveniently located in downtown La Jolla
Internet access was complimentary (with our room category)
The air conditioner worked really well (That’s very important to me!)

Three Things I didn’t like:
The room décor is very dated and dingy.
Parking is limited and we had to park off-site, two streets away on our last night
The room didn’t feel fresh and inviting

I stayed at the Empress Hotel in La Jolla for two nights on a business trip. I chose it because I’ve been working in La Jolla often and wanted to try some different hotels . I made my reservation by phone which was a bit of a chore.

My room was “The Empress Room” – Number 514. The room had a king bed, sofa (which was missing two of the back cushions), small dining table, small desk and chair, 27(ish) inch flat screen TV, mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker and safe.

The room looked like a mix of old wallpaper and upholstered sofa and chairs with newer, more contemporary fabrics on the bed and draperies and possibly the carpet (I couldn't be sure). They didn’t match at all. It seems like it was an effort at updating that never got finished.

The bathroom was OK. The shower was very large but it took forever for the water to get hot. The décor in the bathroom was also a mix of contemporary and 80’s your grandma’s house.

We had room service for dinner both nights from the on-site restaurant “Manhattan of La Jolla”, which is a well-known La Jolla hot spot. For the most part, the food was just OK, but not great. Although the veal, beef and lamb cannelloni tasted excellent, even though the presentation was bad.

Continental breakfast was included in our rate. It’s served on the second floor, with options of sitting inside or outside on a patio area. Neither were visually appealing. Food choices were: waffles you make yourself, yogurt, juice, coffee, cereal, bagels, pastries, cheese, fruit.

One bad part of our stay was that the hotel parking was full one evening, so we had to park two streets away on our last night’s stay. The staff however was pleasant.

My overall opinion of The Empress Hotel La Jolla is; it’s just not for me. It was probably great years ago but now, in my opinion, it’s very lack-luster. Earlier in the same week I had stayed one night at “The Grande Colonial” in downtown La Jolla and loved everything about it. So, this property was a big letdown for me. It’s just not someplace that I would get excited about coming back too. Unless the rooms are fully renovated, I don’t think I would choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor, near the elevator but didn't have a problem with any noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Deanna_Watters
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

On three different occasions over a period of years, my wife and I have stayed in the Empress while I was in San Diego for business. Each time, we stayed for a period of several months. Initially, we had chosen the Empress for two reasons: price and location in the heart of La Jolla. This location allowed me to take the car most days for work, while my wife was able to walk short distances to great beaches, delicious restaurants, shopping, local landmarks, etc. As it turns out, the best reason for staying at the Empress was their warm and supportive staff. One even became a friend we have stayed in-touch with through the years since. Don't think twice about where to stay in La Jolla; it's the Empress.

Room Tip: Request a high room with an ocean view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business