Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Inn by the Sea(La Jolla)
  • Pool
Grande Colonial La Jolla(La Jolla)
La Jolla Inn(La Jolla)
Pantai Inn(La Jolla)
  • Breakfast included
1,000 results
All reviewsmanhattan restaurantvalet parkingpiano barspa suitewithin walking distancecontinental breakfaststreet parkingboiled eggsjacuzzi tubshops and restaurantsyogurtheart of la jollasmall hotelperfect locationstarbucks coffeefront desk stafftwo queen beds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Recently stayed at the Empress Hotel of La Jolla because it was convenient to a location where I was to be a speaker. We were warmly welcomed and assigned a lovely room. However, the electrical outlets were not all working and no one on housekeeping staff was available. We had no TV and no convenient place to recharge the cell phone we planned to program to awaken us.
On the other hand, a satisfactory continental breakfast was available in a small upstairs room connected to an outdoor deck for those who wished to eat in the morning sun. The next day, in order to make our early flight home, we had to leave before breakfast was served and the attendant helped us to pack a little food to store in our in-room refrigerator. That snack was just enough to tide us over until we could get a meal at the airport.

Because there is little on-street parking in downtown La Jolla, only valet parking was convenient, and it cost $18 per night. The staff expediently retrieved our car when we needed it.

Room Tip: Though our room abutted the elevator, we heard no noise in our room and were able to sleep comfortably.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The Empress – La Jolla
Feb 15 – 2nts
Room – 514 – The Empress Room / King bed

Three things I liked:
The hotel is conveniently located in downtown La Jolla
Internet access was complimentary (with our room category)
The air conditioner worked really well (That’s very important to me!)

Three Things I didn’t like:
The room décor is very dated and dingy.
Parking is limited and we had to park off-site, two streets away on our last night
The room didn’t feel fresh and inviting

I stayed at the Empress Hotel in La Jolla for two nights on a business trip. I chose it because I’ve been working in La Jolla often and wanted to try some different hotels . I made my reservation by phone which was a bit of a chore.

My room was “The Empress Room” – Number 514. The room had a king bed, sofa (which was missing two of the back cushions), small dining table, small desk and chair, 27(ish) inch flat screen TV, mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker and safe.

The room looked like a mix of old wallpaper and upholstered sofa and chairs with newer, more contemporary fabrics on the bed and draperies and possibly the carpet (I couldn't be sure). They didn’t match at all. It seems like it was an effort at updating that never got finished.

The bathroom was OK. The shower was very large but it took forever for the water to get hot. The décor in the bathroom was also a mix of contemporary and 80’s your grandma’s house.

We had room service for dinner both nights from the on-site restaurant “Manhattan of La Jolla”, which is a well-known La Jolla hot spot. For the most part, the food was just OK, but not great. Although the veal, beef and lamb cannelloni tasted excellent, even though the presentation was bad.

Continental breakfast was included in our rate. It’s served on the second floor, with options of sitting inside or outside on a patio area. Neither were visually appealing. Food choices were: waffles you make yourself, yogurt, juice, coffee, cereal, bagels, pastries, cheese, fruit.

One bad part of our stay was that the hotel parking was full one evening, so we had to park two streets away on our last night’s stay. The staff however was pleasant.

My overall opinion of The Empress Hotel La Jolla is; it’s just not for me. It was probably great years ago but now, in my opinion, it’s very lack-luster. Earlier in the same week I had stayed one night at “The Grande Colonial” in downtown La Jolla and loved everything about it. So, this property was a big letdown for me. It’s just not someplace that I would get excited about coming back too. Unless the rooms are fully renovated, I don’t think I would choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor, near the elevator but didn't have a problem with any noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DeannaWH
Reviewed February 13, 2013

On three different occasions over a period of years, my wife and I have stayed in the Empress while I was in San Diego for business. Each time, we stayed for a period of several months. Initially, we had chosen the Empress for two reasons: price and location in the heart of La Jolla. This location allowed me to take the car most days for work, while my wife was able to walk short distances to great beaches, delicious restaurants, shopping, local landmarks, etc. As it turns out, the best reason for staying at the Empress was their warm and supportive staff. One even became a friend we have stayed in-touch with through the years since. Don't think twice about where to stay in La Jolla; it's the Empress.

Room Tip: Request a high room with an ocean view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DonTAZ
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Our group could not have been more pleased with the experience we had at the Empress Hotel. Staff were helpful at every turn. When we needed changes with reservations or room requirements they were totally accomodating. The suites worked well for the makeup and hair for the bridesmaids the day of the wedding. We were totally satisfied.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for the ocean view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Barbara B
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We came here for our anniversary. The staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. The desk agent suggested several places to eat and there are many within walking distance. We had a wonderful suite with in room jacuzzi and even a piano in the room. It was clean and decorated nicely. Loved the turn down service. The bed was very comfortable. We enjoyed this place a lot and hope to return soon.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple