Inn by the Sea
La Jolla Inn(La Jolla)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsiced coffeegreat locationocean viewwithin walking distanceon site parkingnice balconybreakfast roomfloor roomshops and restaurantsshort walkla jolla covewould stay here againsmall poolparking feetop floorbeds were comfortablecomplimentary breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 27, 2009

My teenaged daughter and I spent one night here so we could tour UC San Diego the next morning. The location is ideal and the nearby (walking distance) restaurants were excellent. In the morning, we walked down to La Jolla Cove and enjoyed the sea birds, seals, and squirrels that populated the beach.

About the hotel: The lobby is undergoing renovations, so things are temporarily inconvenient. Other than that, the room was clean, everything was in working order, and the staff was pleasant. The breakfast included hard-boiled eggs, coffee, orange and apple juice, a toaster with bagels and breads, cream cheese, jam, yogurt, fruit, pastries and cereal w/milk.

For what we were trying to accomplish on a budget, it was the right place. We had dinner at the Crab Catcher, which is pricey but oh-so-good!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2009

The check-in clerk was very fast, helpful and courteous. Though I booked online and got a good rate ($99/night) it was supposed to be on first floor. They instead put me on third floor in the back, where I had a slight ocean view off to the right. The room was quiet enough, the bed comfortable, the wi-fi actually worked. The continental breakfast (pastries, cereal, juice, yogurt, coffee, fruit) is plenty, and you can sit at poolside and read the paper. There is a $12 daily charge for parking, but since I was going to be gone all day, I could park free on the street overnight. It was an easy walk to the beach, The Living Room (coffee shop/restaurant, opens at 6 a.m.), stores. In short, this place, while not heavy on the charm or decor, met my needs for this trip perfectly.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 12, 2009

We had been travelling around the States and the place we were going to stay at in Oceanside was not very good so we moved onto La Jolla to find somewhere just for one night. The service here was very good the room was large and clean and for the money was very good value as well as being ideally placed to walk out for dinner. I hadnt stayed at a Best Western before but would definitely stay for a short time again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2009

We had stayed at the BW INN By the Sea a few years ago. At the time, I had been impressed by the size of the room and the cleanliness. It was great for us as we were traveling with our 2 children and the beds were big and comfortable. This time I went back with just my husband and the place seemed kind of run down. They were doing some maintenance work while we were there, so it was noisy and we had to step over wires to get to our room. Granted we were there off season, and they have to do that kind of work some time. I also was disturbed by reading a warning notice that asbestos has been used in the construction of the hotel and that it is known to cause cancer. I guess if people are warned they have a right to operate the facility. In any case, reading that made me not want to stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2009

We have stayed at Best Westerns many times before so we were well aware of what you get for what you pay for. Inn By The Sea, is in a great location. You can walk to pretty much everything. The hotel staff is quiet, respectful and helpful. The rooms are clean although a bit out dated. My only complaints are the the main road in front of the hotel is quite loud and the walls are paper thin. Hope that no one is staying next to you with jet lag who rises with their kids before 5 am because you will hear every word. Request a room on the back side of the hotel where you can also see the ocean. It would be worth the extra money.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)