“BW La Jolla”

Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Hoboken, New Jersey
“BW La Jolla”
Reviewed June 18, 2008

Stayed at the BW La Jolla with my mom. in La Jola for a wedding. Pleasantly surprised. Hotel is clean, modern and in fine physical condition. rooms size is ample, staff was helpful and La Jolla has many fine restaurants in wlaking distance. For breakfast I'd recommend Harry's New York Diner, near the Von's supermarket. Balboa Park in San Diego has 20-25 various museums and cultural sites including the world famous zoo. Pass on the $10 upgrade at hotel. Few facilities but breakfast (didn't try it). Has a pool.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — parking inn back garage for a fee.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
davis
Reviewed June 17, 2008

The hotel is older but fresh and kept up well. We came because my son was recovering from surgery and could not travel. It was the best price my agent could find in this area..
A serious downside:
we were given a room that was supposed to be wheelchair accessible. When my son tried to go into the bathroom, we had to open the door into the hall way to turn the chair around to get towards the bathroom and then his chair got stuck halfway in and halfway out. No, it was not an oversized chair or person. Very humiliating for him.
The manager did give us a more expensive and much nicer room that was wheelchair accessible at the same rate. HOWEVER, even that one was difficult to get the wheelchair into the door way of the bathroom. The hall was too narrow to turn the chair around to line it up. We even took the legs of the chair off and I still had to lift it up to get it in.
I may recommend this hotel because of the location and price but never to anyone in a wheelchair.

• Liked — location location location
  • Disliked — lack of true handicap accessibiliy
  • Stayed June 2008
Burnsville, Minnesota
Reviewed April 12, 2008

We stayed here from Mar 30 to April 4th. When we checked in, they assigned us rooms poolside on the first floor. We called and asked to be upgraded. They gave us a 5th (top) floor room with partial ocean view for $20 more a night, a good investment.

The good: the location is not oceanfront, but within an easy walk to the beautiful beaches. It is half a block to the Hard Rock Cafe and only a short walk to any of the Prospect St. shops and restaurants. There is also a Von's grocery store within walking distance. The staff is friendly and helpful. While there are some upscale shops and restaurants, for the most part the prices at the local shops and restaurants were quite reasonable.

The So-So: The "lavish" continental breakfast consisted of cold cereal, instant oatmeal, pastries that were supposed to have fruit filling but didn't, two kinds of yogurt, apples, oranges, bruised bananas and the worst orange juice I've ever had. It was enough to fill the void to start the day since we were looking forward to eating at nicer oceanfront places for lunch & dinner, but lavish is the last term I'd use to describe it, as the hotel does. There are several nearby options for a good, full breakfast. We liked Harry's in particular.

The bad: the beds in the double rooms are not queens, and therefore are not big enough for two people, and they were rock hard. The vent in the bathroom allowed us to hear everything taking place in the room next to us. There is a sign posted in the lobby talking of internet access, but there was no computer there until the day after we inquired about it. The one they put in was snail-slow, but it beat nothing. There is no lobby bar, but there is some seating to wait for other members of your party. It costs $12 a day to park in the tiny spaces, but a spot is not guaranteed and there is a 12% room tax added daily. We were on the back side of the hotel and there were garbage trucks and delivery trucks every day in the alley, early, often and LOUD. We were up by 7 every day anyway, but not good if you want to sleep in. It would also be nice if the rooms had fridges and microwaves.

Bottom line: The hotel shows its age and needs some major updating. A lobby bar to serve as a gathering/meeting point would be nice. What you are paying for is the location in the spendy and trendy area of La Jolla. Don't know that I would stay here again. I think I would pay a little more to have better amenities and oceanfront digs. If you are looking for a no-frills place to simply lay your head at night and have your heart set on staying in La Jolla, this would suffice. If you like an on-site bar and/or restaurant and other amenities, this isn't for you.

Local insider tip: the #30 bus line runs from La Jolla to downtown San Diego, via the Old Town Transit Center. We got off the bus at Old Town and got on the light rail "Trolley", which takes you all the way to the Mexican border. Great if you don't have a rental car. A 24 hr. unlimited transit pass costs only $5. The bad news is it is time comsuming--40 min. to Old Town on the bus and another hour or so on the trolley to the border. Great way to see the city if you're in no hurry. If you plan on a day in Mexico, leave early!! Also, getting off the trolley at the Sante Fe stop leaves you a short walk to the waterfront or Gaslamp District.

• Liked — Cental La Jolla location, conducive to walking.
  • Disliked — Needs updating, lousy beds, no lobby bar
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Morgman
Los Angeles suburbs
Reviewed March 6, 2008

There is nothing fancy about this hotel, but the location was perfect! I was in La Jolla for a design conference and booked very late. I was lucky to find accommodations in walking distance to my conference. I have to agree with a few other comments that my room was in great need of improvements. Staff was helpful and friendly.

Stayed February 2004
1 Thank BurbsToAbroad
omaha
Reviewed December 19, 2007

My wife, daughter and I stayed at the hotel on our first night in So Cal. Getting there was an easy and scenic .drive from LAX while en route to Coronado Island. The town itself was very picturesque as I had always heard.

This is a very nice and reasonably priced hotel in a very expensive part of the country. It's not on the ocean but is within a block of La Jolla Shores, which is breathtaking. The room was clean, and although we had a view of the parking lot in the rear, I have no complaints. They provide a nice continental breakfast in a room off of the small pool. Our room was nice, and again, it was a great value.

Overall, I would recommend this place to anyone who wants inexpensive, nice accomodations in a beautiful oceanside small town

• Liked — Clean and reasonably priced
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
California
Reviewed December 17, 2007

My husband and I booked a room for our parents online from hotwire.com for $130/night. Our experience was absolutely awful. The two men behind the front desk were rude and did not offer any customer service. The lighting was poor, pillows as flat as a pancake, the bed would catapulted me upward when my husband leaned over to the far left, and the bathroom looked like it hadn' t been remodeled in years. There is no central heating. When I addressed the front desk about how cold it was in our room (64 degrees!) he didn't offer any more blankets, but said, "Sorry. We do have heat." and then looked down at the desk. I was furious. For a hotel that you wanted your parents to enjoy, this was not the one we would have chosen. Please do not stay here. It is not worth the money ore experience. Stay at a Days Inn and pay only $50 and get better service. I was utterly disappointed.

Stayed November 2007
2 Thank CaliforniaBeara
Los Gatos, CA
Reviewed November 20, 2007

Great location, nice views, comfortable rooms, but property's ready for some updating. Reasonable prices for the location.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — air-conditioning system
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family