“La Jolla by the Sea”
Review of Inn by the Sea

Inn by the Sea
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Lots of fine dining and quaint shops on Prospect St. We had a lovely dinner at Roppongi's just next to the hotel. Sea Gulls squawking and as numerous as pigeons and as familiar with humans especially when food scraps abounded. We found our way to the shore to watch the waves, the snorkelers and the Sea Gulls. It is best if you walk the area as parking is a premium. And, you really need to know how to get there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Carl B

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Prior to booking with this hotel, I have read some reviews that weren't too favorable however I still went ahead and booked it for its location, price and a recommendation by a trip advisor member. Well, I must say I am so glad I did! The place was very nice and clean, good location: you can walk to the town of La Jolla with its beautiful shops and walk to the cove with the seals, great breakfast: sausage/eggs/bagels etc.. The rooms were big, beds comfy and clean. So, I would definitely recommend it and I would stay there again.

3  Thank l0vet0travel4ever
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We have stayed at the property twice now, and each stay was great. Since the hotel is located on Fay avenue right in the heart of downtown La Jolla, it is easy to get to delicious restaurants such as Cody's, Barfly, Amici's pizza, etc. The rooms are tastefully decorated with a tropical feeling. Beds are very nice, and rooms are a decent size. One of my favorite hotels. There is also a small breakfast area by the pool for those who do not want to go spend $40 + on a meal somewhere else. The hotel has good deals and is in walking distance to the beach. So if you are looking for a convenient place to stay in La Jolla, come visit the Inn by the Sea! Nice work best western.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the elevators or the pool because it may be noisy!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank delta757man
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Just spent five nights in this hotel. The location is the only positive thing about the place. We had two rooms, but even though we made the reservations 5 months ago, we couldn't get rooms on the same floor. We did however both get rooms just behind the elevator, which provides noise 24/7. The staff at the front desk are not exactly friendly. They do not greet you unless you come up to the front desk with a specific issue. There is no fridge in the room, we were able to get one after a day, only because someone who had a fridge, checked out. So do not expect to get one. The included breakfast is discusting. If you arrive after 8.30 you Will be lucky to get any at all. But then you could just consider yourself lucky! The parking is a joke. It cost 12 dollars a night, but there is not enough spots for all guest. Then you have to park across the street in a parking garage, which you have to vacate by 8 am. And don't get me started on the smell in the hallways...

All in all, find another hotel.

6  Thank Mosterfitness
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Right in the heart of La Jolla, close to shopping and a block from the ocean. Very clean and friendly. Great hotel for the value. Rooms are somewhat dated, but are spaceous. Free breakfast is decent. Can eat breakfast by the pool, otherwise dining area is small and nothing fancy. Bed is comfortable and staff very prompt to meet needs. Lobby is nicely decorated.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I love the location the hotel is very clean. It was an enjoyable experience for my family. My kids love the fact that almost everything is in walking distant. the one thing they didn't like was breakfast. they didn't enjoy pre made waffle.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I have been meaning to write a review of this place for a very long time but it always slips my mind. I stayed at this hotel with my mom when we drove down to La Jolla during my spring break. Our room was nice, the hotel was styled in an attractive and interesting way inside, and our balcony was rather nice with a view (when the birds weren't divebombing us).
But, MY IPOD WAS STOLEN BY AN EMPLOYEE. I left it inside of my suitcase in our locked hotel room while we were out for the day. When we returned, it wasn't there. I didn't assume it was stolen right away, but after we turned the room upside-down, we became quite positive that it was. When we talked to management, we tried to sound non-accusatory, but they COMPLETELY brushed off our complaints. They basically said I must have lost it, and that I should keep better track of my things. Despite multiple complaints, they would do nothing. We filed a police report, but apparently there were no leads. In the police's defense, I'm sure they have better things to do.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. I learned from this experience to ALWAYS lock up everything that might be of value in the safe every time I leave my room. You just never know. And don't expect the hotel staff to be a bit of help or make ANY effort to apologize and make amends. Thanks, Best Western.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view. And make sure you have a safe!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family