“Review of my Recent Stay”
Review of Inn by the Sea

Inn by the Sea
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed April 10, 2013

During my stay there was construction taking place. I feel the desk clerk should have said something like "pardon our dust" so I was surprised the next morning when the water was turned off and there was no air conditioning. The water was turned back on later in the day. As far as the air conditioning I was told to open patio doors or they could send up a fan. I realize these are only inconveniences but I expected a little more from a Best Western.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed for two nights of our planned four night stay before switching hotels. The first night we woke up to people having intercourse in the room next door (not adjoining rooms) at 5 AM. We could hear every word of their conversation for the next two hours. We went to the front desk and asked to change rooms thinking it might just be them. We had the exact same experience the following night in a different room. The people were actually talking in normal voices, the walls were just so thin that you can hear EVERYTHING. Also, they didn't tell us they were doing construction 3 doors down from the room we were moved to. That would have been nice to know before the construction started at 8 AM. Wouldn't stay there again, ever.

Room Tip: Don't stay in any room, the walls are thin in all.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AmberB813
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Of course there are much more charming and interesting options in La Jolla, but if you're looking for a reasonably priced hotel in a very good location close to the beach, shops, and restaurants, the Best Western fits the bill. Our King room, on 3rd floor- with partial ocean view (I wouldn't pay extra for this) was comfortable and looked to be have been updated, albeit in a nondescript, average chain hotel manner. The lobby has a pleasing appearance, and the staff at front desk are very helpful and printed out google maps/directions for us several times. It's a nice bonus having breakfast included in the price, although the huge waste that comes with single serving cereal, yogurt, etc. and disposable plates, cups and cutlery irks me (not just a criticism of this hotel, I see it in many other places). Reception warned us on check-in that there was some renovation going on, but we were never bothered by any noise or disruption during our stay...you might want to check on the status of work.
Overall, a good, reasonably priced choice in a beautiful part of the SoCal coast.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We spent the night at the Inn by the Sea. It has a superb location in that it is within walking distance to the beach, many restaurants, and most local attractions. The room was clean and the staff is very attentive. Breakfast was the standard continental breakfast fare. The breakfast room is very small, so seating is limited. The pool area is nice but not that of a resort. All-in-all, the best things about this hotel are the location and value.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are clean, good size, walking distance to the Cove and the village, haven't needed my car all week. Staff is responsive and friendly! Continental breakfast is served by the pool. Many great restaurant ts nearby.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My parents and I visited from the UK for my niece's wedding and stayed here from the 12th - 18th March this year. As soon as we walked into the reception, we had a very warm welcome from the staff. They would always speak to you when you passed throughout the week. The large lobby was bright and open, there was plenty of room to sit down and a computer available for anyone to use. It was a great place to sit and chat. There are two lifts, one having glass walls facing the front of the hotel. We were on the 3rd floor along with many family members and friends who were attending the wedding. My parents have mobility problems and the bathroom had handrails all around so they felt safe when using the shower. The rooms were bright and were cleaned daily. Also with free wi-fi and tea and coffee facilities in the room. The breakfast selection was amazing, various types of teas, coffee and juices. Everything from a cooked items to toast, cereals, pastries and fruit. The staff here were very helpful and would constantly replenish the hot food. I asked at reception one evening for a recommended place to eat. I was told that Amici's across the road from the hotel was good. I asked if we could take the food to our room and was told this would not be a problem. We had a wonderful stay here. I recommend it to anyone. It's in a great location for the shops and restaurants and only about 10 minutes walk down to the sea.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Claire D
Reviewed March 21, 2013

As a frequent visitor to LaJolla, I've been generally disappointed in the cost/value ratios of most hotels. This Best Western is by far the best value. The rooms are dated and not very "fresh," but the value is excellent with free wifi, a surprisingly extensive free breakfast, and superb location. I've seen the property for years and always assumed it was "downscale," but staying for the first time was surprised to find the staff so helpful and consistently friendly. I normally stay at the Hyatt for about twice the price, and have to drive everywhere. This Best Western has so many dining options within a couple of blocks, and the beach and waterfront walk is just a few minutes away.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple