“Good stop over in la jolla”
Review of Inn by the Sea

Inn by the Sea
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Nice enough hotel which is clean, staff were helpful when we got in and asked for a no frills place to eat and got it spot on. Nice area, walking distance to the beach and plenty of friendly shops, bars and cafes nearby. Only negative is $12 a night parking. All the hotels we have stayed in so far have been free. Other than that, would recommend

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Bilko71
There are newer reviews for Inn by the Sea

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My son and I spend 10 days in this hotel. We were visiting the UCSD for my sons work.
The hotel was average. Nobody of the staff asked if our stay was fine.

The room on the 5 floor was nice but al little dated.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Excellent value and location for La Jolla. We have often stayed here while visiting family nearby. Rooms were renovated a few years ago and are well-maintained. Location is convenient to oceanfront and shopping. A block from San Diego Museum of Contemporary Art.

Room Tip: Request room above the first floor. Hotel renovated a few years ago. Excellent location and value fo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank geezer101
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I picked this hotel about 30 minutes before I arrived there. They gave me a great rate over the phone. The front desk staff was friendly, fast and super helpful. I liked the computer in the main area for printing boarding passes. Location was great. The room itself was nice. The bathroom definitely needs updating. The shower control knob wasn't secured to the wall and I felt like if I pulled the water on hard enough, it would break off. While showering, the water temperature went from scalding hot to freezing cold with no warning and continued cycling for the duration of the shower. There was a rumbling we heard in our room and down the hall. We found out it was the dryer from the cleaning staff. Very irritating, but it ended before I went to bed. The breakfast was about as lackluster as can be. The pancakes were so dry I couldn't finish them. Still, I paid for location and convenience. The bed was very comfortable - a pillowtop, and the front desk staff made excellent restaurant recommendations. Would I stay here again? Probably.

Room Tip: Ask to stay away from the dryers.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2012

A reservation was made several months in advance for myself, my wife and the 2 friends we were travelling with. We had chosen 2 upper floor rooms rather than ground floor rooms in the hope that we might have a reasonable view of the surrounding area. On checking in we were surprised to be allocated 2 ground floor rooms. It was explained that the hotel was full and these were the only rooms vacant. Our room was at the rear of the hotel looking on to the car park and the back of a restaurant. The room was also next to the hotels rear entrance and was rather noisy on the Saturday evening. Our friends room was at the front of the hotel, again looking onto parked vehicles that were only a few feet from their room. On the first evening a large SUV was parked in front of their room leaving them with no view whatsoever. As a result of the hotel being full, the breakfast area was very crowded. My wife described it as being like a rugby scrum. On the plus side, the hotel is in a convienient location and is reasonably priced for La Jolla. I would probably stay there again if I could be assured that I would be allocated an upper floor rather than a ground floor room.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I had a friend visiting me and she wanted to see San Diego. We checked in after spending a whole day of sightseeing in the San Diego area. I chose this place to stay because I wanted to ditch my car so we can both have a few drinks and enjoy some nightlife! -thinking downtown San Diego area is too busy for us and we are too old for Pacific Beach, Mission Beach area.

It turned out to be the perfect place since it is walking distance to downtown La Jolla and we were able to do just that! When we woke up the next morning, I couldn't believe the great ocean view from our room! We also enjoyed the free breakfast at the poolside and decided to take a stroll along the shore to see the seals (the famous Children's pool area), which was one of the highlights of our trip!
I am so glad that we chose this hotel to stay!
It was not so expensive and turned out to be a perfect mini-vacation for myself as well!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chia2005
Reviewed October 17, 2012

A spacious well appointed hotel with a variety of rooms close to the beach and restaurants of the most delightful californian resort of La Jolla. Helpful staff adequate breakfast and small pool. most rooms have balconies and some ocean views - well worth the extra. On a good sunny day this resort with beaches, wildlife and plenty of shops is hard to beat.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the room with ocean views
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo