“What more do you need?”

Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Niles, Illinois
“What more do you need?”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We stayed at the Best Western Inn By the Sea from May 9 - 15. We were in town for my best friend's weddding and all of the festivities were taking place within walking distance of the hotel, so it was perfect!

The rooms are average (it's a Best Western!), but very clean and well taken care of. We had an ocean view room on the 4th floor, which was awesome!

The hotel is very quiet. We had our 1 year old with us, so I was concerned about her being woken up at night, but it was just fine.

They have a breakfast room where they serve continental breakfast every morning. They have coffee, juice, milk, bagels, muffins, cereal, waffles, eggs, sausage and yogurt. It was perfect for us as we are not really breakfast people, but we were able to find something for our daughter every day!

My only complaint about this hotel was the AC. It was so LOUD and also it was hard to figure out how to get it to just stay at a constant temperature. We ended up having to just turn it off at night because it was impossible to sleep with it on!

If you want a good, comfortable room at a great price, this is a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view room on a higher floor! Worth the money!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank prncesssly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Very mediocre hotel but location is great. No air conditioning, horrible pillows, noisy. Unimpressive continental breakfast. Plan on breakfast elsewhere. No remote control for TV and they just didn't care or try to find us one.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank tarheeltoothfairy
Lomma, Sweden
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I have to tell a story about this booking....I was staying in San Francisco at Best Western and I wanted to book this hotel in La Jolla for the next couple of nights. I called this hotel from the phone at the room to book.
I said " This is Valle74 from the Best Western in San fransciso, I would like to book a room"
She answered "No problem at all, I do have a great room for you, that will be XY Dollar"
I sais.."Ok, thanks a lot" and hang up the phone....
It turned out that the lady thought I was working at the BW in San Francisco and gave me a HUGE employee discount.....
Never mind, back to the hotel, a pretty good hotel, nothing special. But the town it self and the surroundings are very upscale, pretty epxensive at the restaurants, but close to the hotell, there is a Hard rock café...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Valle1974
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Very standard hotel...but great rates for the location. Only 3 blocks from Prospect Street on the main drag in La Jolla. Hotel was clean. Check in was easy. No cmoplaints

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
San Jose, CA
Reviewed April 24, 2012

The hotel is very closed to the UCSD Campus and a walking distance from
Downtown La Jolla. Nothing fancy but clean and quiet. Hot breakfast served
In a tiny room by the pool. The day we visit it had rained the night before and
It was not room for us to sit in the breakfast area, so we asked the cleaning lady
To please clean and dry the table outside. She was very helpful, so it was not
A problem. The front desk Manager looked like he was forced to work there,
So a better attitude could help the overall image of the Hotel.
If you are looking for a great location this is it. Don’t expect a fancy amenities and royal treatment. I will definitely stay again in this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GoodReference
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I stayed one night at this hotel in March. The location is fantastic, right in the center of La Jolla and walkable to everything. However, despite the refreshed lobby, the corridors and room were pretty dated and dismal. The toiletries look like they were pulled out of storage from the 70's. Our room had an odd smell, I think it was the detergent used on the sheets, that didn't go away the whole time we were there. $12 for parking which one could avoid by finding street parking and moving the car in the morning. It seemed like they were training staff. The front desk person didn't look up once as we walked past entering and leaving. I'm used to a friendlier greeting at most hotels. My mom forgot her toothbrush so around 9:00 I called down to the front desk to ask if they had any. 'Yes, we do", I was told. When my mom went down to get it, the person looked around and said, 'Oh, sorry, I guess we ran out". Just in front of my mom was a man who was asking for some extra coffee. Same story, they had just run out! My pillows were rock hard and very thick. I would stay here again only for the location.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank rainsoaked
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I stayed here from Feb. 24-29. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and was very impressed with the reception staff who greeted me upon arrival and the great location. I felt very much at home here and felt that all my needs were met. The amazing thing with this hotel is that my unusual requests were met. This is the first hotel that I have stayed at that has a card that you can place on your door knob indicating that you need the room made up early. As a bird watcher, I am always out before sunrise and return to my hotel room early. It was so wonderful to be able to return to a freshly made up room. The included breakfast was wonderful with healthy choices. There were plenty of fruits and hot and cold items. One could not leave hungry and it was more than a usual continental breakfast. The location of the breakfast room allowed you to eat indoors or around the pool. I found that the hotel location was perfect. I could walk out of my room and be at the cove in just a few minutes. I enjoyed strolling downtown, attending the farmers' market and not feeling rushed. The atmosphere is perfect and allows one to relax. I was able to use the pool and found it was fun meeting other guests there. The one time I needed to take the bus, it was just a three minute walk to the stop. In the evening there is iced coffee and apples available. I recommend this hotel for people who don't want to be driving everywhere and can enjoy the atmosphere of La Jolla without parking and route searches. I will definitely book this hotel on my next visit and hope to stay even longer.

Room Tip: I was placed on the fifth floor which is called the Penthouse floor and I had an oceanview room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo