“This is only my opinion, but it is the correct one!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Inn by the Sea

Inn by the Sea
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Lomma, Sweden
“This is only my opinion, but it is the correct one!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

I have to tell a story about this booking....I was staying in San Francisco at Best Western and I wanted to book this hotel in La Jolla for the next couple of nights. I called this hotel from the phone at the room to book.
I said " This is Valle74 from the Best Western in San fransciso, I would like to book a room"
She answered "No problem at all, I do have a great room for you, that will be XY Dollar"
I sais.."Ok, thanks a lot" and hang up the phone....
It turned out that the lady thought I was working at the BW in San Francisco and gave me a HUGE employee discount.....
Never mind, back to the hotel, a pretty good hotel, nothing special. But the town it self and the surroundings are very upscale, pretty epxensive at the restaurants, but close to the hotell, there is a Hard rock café...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Valle1974

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

Very standard hotel...but great rates for the location. Only 3 blocks from Prospect Street on the main drag in La Jolla. Hotel was clean. Check in was easy. No cmoplaints

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

The hotel is very closed to the UCSD Campus and a walking distance from
Downtown La Jolla. Nothing fancy but clean and quiet. Hot breakfast served
In a tiny room by the pool. The day we visit it had rained the night before and
It was not room for us to sit in the breakfast area, so we asked the cleaning lady
To please clean and dry the table outside. She was very helpful, so it was not
A problem. The front desk Manager looked like he was forced to work there,
So a better attitude could help the overall image of the Hotel.
If you are looking for a great location this is it. Don’t expect a fancy amenities and royal treatment. I will definitely stay again in this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GoodReference
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

I stayed one night at this hotel in March. The location is fantastic, right in the center of La Jolla and walkable to everything. However, despite the refreshed lobby, the corridors and room were pretty dated and dismal. The toiletries look like they were pulled out of storage from the 70's. Our room had an odd smell, I think it was the detergent used on the sheets, that didn't go away the whole time we were there. $12 for parking which one could avoid by finding street parking and moving the car in the morning. It seemed like they were training staff. The front desk person didn't look up once as we walked past entering and leaving. I'm used to a friendlier greeting at most hotels. My mom forgot her toothbrush so around 9:00 I called down to the front desk to ask if they had any. 'Yes, we do", I was told. When my mom went down to get it, the person looked around and said, 'Oh, sorry, I guess we ran out". Just in front of my mom was a man who was asking for some extra coffee. Same story, they had just run out! My pillows were rock hard and very thick. I would stay here again only for the location.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank rainsoaked
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

I stayed here from Feb. 24-29. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and was very impressed with the reception staff who greeted me upon arrival and the great location. I felt very much at home here and felt that all my needs were met. The amazing thing with this hotel is that my unusual requests were met. This is the first hotel that I have stayed at that has a card that you can place on your door knob indicating that you need the room made up early. As a bird watcher, I am always out before sunrise and return to my hotel room early. It was so wonderful to be able to return to a freshly made up room. The included breakfast was wonderful with healthy choices. There were plenty of fruits and hot and cold items. One could not leave hungry and it was more than a usual continental breakfast. The location of the breakfast room allowed you to eat indoors or around the pool. I found that the hotel location was perfect. I could walk out of my room and be at the cove in just a few minutes. I enjoyed strolling downtown, attending the farmers' market and not feeling rushed. The atmosphere is perfect and allows one to relax. I was able to use the pool and found it was fun meeting other guests there. The one time I needed to take the bus, it was just a three minute walk to the stop. In the evening there is iced coffee and apples available. I recommend this hotel for people who don't want to be driving everywhere and can enjoy the atmosphere of La Jolla without parking and route searches. I will definitely book this hotel on my next visit and hope to stay even longer.

Room Tip: I was placed on the fifth floor which is called the Penthouse floor and I had an oceanview room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank gloria023
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

Hotel is conveniently located in downtown La Jolla. Benefits include ability to walk to nice shops, beach (cove), good selections for complimentary continental breakfast, fruit and coffee in the afternoon in the lobby. Lobby was renovated in the past 2 years.
Concerns include the lack of A/C when the weather is warmer sooner than expected, side of the building facing the alley has the "oceanview". This side faces west and the heat from the sun can make these rooms unbearably hot with no A/C. Hotel staff are sympathetic but unable to do anything. As the "oceanview" rooms are the most expensive, having hot rooms really doesn't make sense.
The street facing rooms are cooler, but can be noisier. I choose the street side rooms because they are cooler, and hope they have a quieter room.
Overall, I stay here every 6 months when I am visiting my family in La Jolla. I hope that the temperature cooperates as the management is seemingly unwilling to allow guests have the benefit of A/C when needed.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the oceanview in late winter/early spring before management has turned on th...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Traveller1615
hilton head island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

nice hotel in great location. a short and pleasant walk to the beach as well as to shops, restaurants and groceries. room was clean and air conditioner/heat/fan was quiet! street parking is free, most times i was able to find a spot in front. otherwise lots of street parking within a short walk. nice continental breakfast. i do wish my room had had a mini-fridge.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends