“Love it at La Jolla Cove: Review from a couple in 20's” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Jolla Cove Suites

La Jolla Cove Suites
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
tustin, CA
“Love it at La Jolla Cove: Review from a couple in 20's”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2006

I have been coming here for over 6 years and can't believe the negative reviews. One must understand that the view is the main thing that you are paying for. Sure the interior decorating isn't great. There are plenty of places in the gaslamp district where it is much more congested with better amenities. However, I have always gone during the "value season" and stayed no more than 2 nights. So I may understand if people have paid a huge premium on their stay. I also always got ocean front rooms everytime. I didn't care about the air-conditioning because I left the windows open. Who wouldn't want the ocean breeze? The furniture is ok, they weren't leather or anything, but it definately wasn't dirty or anything of the sort. The staff has always been professional, you could tell the front desk were college students or in that age group up front. The power went out once and theyh got it fixed in literally 15 minutes at 12 o'clock at night. I loved the pool and jacuzzi. The location is near everything you need. I also talked to many couples that were stayed in the rooms next to us and everyone of them loved it as well. I live in Orange County so I just come down here when i want to get away for the weekend. If you want to be near the party where you don't want to drive or get a cab, go into the gas lamp district and pay more. If you want a gorgeous view with the ocean breeze and want to relax you should pick this place.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank smoon80

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Fullerton, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Lo Jolla cove Suites for a wedding rehearsal and wedding the next day. The view as we arrived was beautiful, but if you rent a regular room you look out on a concrete pit-like parking lot. Our room was not airconditioned, although a small fan was provided.
Unfortunately, you need to leave the windows open to get any benefit from the fan and to get any privacy, you have to close the heavy curtains which leaves a dimly lit, muggy, airless room!
The entire bathroom is the size of a moderate bath tub! My husband brought in his tools to tighten the stall shower head so that it would stay up. The towels were small, rather stiff, and frayed.
The staff was not helpful and the paperwork was confusing. Our receipt clearly showed a departure time of 3:05, but we were charged an extra "half-day's rate" (for 7 more hours?) to use the room until the wedding. Check out time was not mentioned at check in, or on any of the paperwork we were given.

Stayed August 2006
2 Thank wahagi

Travelers are raving about these La Jolla hotels

Tempe
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2006

I brought my girlfriend to stay at La Jolla Cove Suites this past weekend and was astonished at how such a run-down hotel can exist in such a nice area. The rooms are priced comparably with other hotels and the views are great, but upon entering our room my girlfriend spotted a 3inch cockroach! If that wasn't bad enough, the furniture is from the 70's, there is NO A/C, and the bathrooms are in worse condition than something you would find at a frat house. The front desk staff is very professional and accomodating, but the owners of this hotel would be better off demolishing the property and starting over. I have stayed in hotels all over the world, from hostels to four seasons. Hands down this is the worst hotel for the price I have ever stayed in. If you don't plan on using the room at all, and don't mind wasting $250 a night for an oven, then go right ahead. We had a 4 night vacation planned out, and even after we upgraded to another room we still checked out the NEXT MORNING!! Do not stay at this hotel. You've been warned!

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the room
  • Tips/Secrets — stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank aflores12
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2006

Disgustingly Hot 200 sq ft room $160/night. Stayed at the suggestion of a wedding party. July 20, 21st & 22nd. The room was tiny & the bathroom too small for 2 people. Have photos and will upload & post them. NO AC & NO ceiling fans, just a small rotating table fan for $160/night. For $290/night you get the same temperature room, but a little more space to move around. The roof top made for a fabulous wedding reception in the late afternoon-evening hours, but was the only nice part of the hotel & the hotel staff immediately kicked us off the cool roof deck when the reception ended at 9:00 PM. Where to go now? To the pool which closed at 10:00PM or a sweat box of a hotel room? We did try to move to another hotel all of which were at that point sold out for the weekend. The area is nice, and there are many great restaurants, but stay somewhere else. As other reviewers noted, stay ANYWHERE else. Even the Suites were not so SWEET, so don't waste too much for a family visit. They won't be able to sleep in the heat. If you must stay plan it for early spring or late fall when the temps are cooler. The tiny pool leaves much to be desired. As others noted, this is not the hotel for older people too many stairs & elevators are very slow. And like I said the HEAT again is unbearable...

Stayed July 2006
2 Thank wrldtravelz
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2006

This place should be bombed and remodeled for the sake of the poor, naive guests! I planned this trip months in advance and planned to stay for 6 days and nights. My family got there and yes, the views are breathtaking! It is right in the midddle of some of the best shopping and eating ever! But what good is that without somewhere nice to come back to for relaxation and sleeping?? THERE IS NO AIR CONDITIONING!!! The rooms were so small and the bathrooms are as big as airplane vanities with zero counterspace! The carpets are so filthy, they make your feet black by walking on them! Not ideal for children or anybody for that matter. Their nightstands fell on my daughter twice just by pulling out the drawers! The phones fell apart. Everything is outdated. It is screaming for renovation. For as much money as you pay to stay there, they could use it to renovate the rooms or at least add air conditioning and clean the carpets! We had to check out and find another hotel. They were unbarable and unacceptable conditions. It overshadowed our awesome view. We were lucky we found another hotel otherwise our vacation would have been ruined.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sacramento, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2006

I have traveled extensively and have to say this was absolutely the most horrible hotel experience ever. If all you care about is an ocean view - and clean rooms, clean bathrooms, and a/c are not important to you, this is the place for you! We spent an awful 4 days from the 1st - 5th for a wedding (only due to the unreasonable minimum 4-nite holiday weekend rule!!).
* There is no air conditioning (except for the lobby & offices)
* Security recommended patio doors be closed & locked at night as there is only a short barrier betwee the balconies and they are easy to climb over (no privacy)
* Walls are paper thin, our room windows faced the hallway and with the windows open we could hear everyone that walked by. We didn't sleep at all.
* The bathrooms are tiny, moldy, & disgusting.
* The room smelled horrible - but all rooms smelled the same so we didn't ask to switch.
* No coffee maker in the room.
* Continental breakfast was stale muffins and bagels.
To top it off, I was personally offended at the rude and unprofessional behavior of the general manager toward the wedding party and caterers during the reception.
Staff was generally pleasant but made it known that the poor condition of the hotel was the fault of the owners. They do not put any money into renovations because they don't have to. It's really too bad - it could be a nice place if it were updated. I have photos if you don't believe me. Seriously, do not stay here!!!

• Stayed July 2006
4 Thank hazmatgirl
az
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2006

Okay after reading the reviews I was nervous but let me tell you...as a mom of 2 girls this place was wonderful. We were in town for a swim meet and my high school daughter and her pals were easily able to walk the nearby area with no worries for mom. As hotels go it is older but you CANNOT beat this location....rooms are good in size but c'mon you are on the beach in La Jolla this place is great the breakfast is ample and the location cannot be beat...will I go back...for sure the staff was super and we truly enjoyed our stay!

Stayed June 2006