“Great location!!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
New York
“Great location!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2005

Okay, I am writing this in reponse to any wedding entries. Quit being so bitter. You should have scouted out the rooms PRIOR to signing a contract. It's not the hotels fault that you didn't properly assess the rooms for a big occassion such as a wedding...poor planning.

Anyways, this hotel is in such a great location. You will not be disappointed with the view or service. The breakfast upstairs was a nice touch. There are many small stores and bigger name stores (Banana Republic, Express, etc) within walking distance (2-4 minutes).

We went during the offseason so we got a deal...roughly $129/night. I can't imagine paying $200/night for this place during the peak season though. My suggestion is to go during November. Great weather, less people, better prices. Rent a car b/c you will need it to get to downtown/zoo.

• Stayed November 2005
6 Thank jyl246

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
L.A.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2005

Yes, the furniture was basic Ikea, but this place was clean, much better priced than the website said and was an absolute bargain compared to all the other hotels we checked out in La Jolla. The view was amazing, the mini suite was spacious, the breakfast was enjoyable and the location couldn't be beat. Not sure why the websites all state much higher rates, we got about half the price, were thrilled overall and will be back often. Just didn't like the service, they were getting most everything wrong but were friendly. If view and price are more important than luxurious accommodations, this is it.

• Stayed November 2005
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank L.A.southernbelle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2005

A young bride’s dream wedding at one of the most scenic cove locations in La Jolla, California is now a disappointed memory. Although the scenery was lovely throughout the wedding, it is the behind the scenes dealing with this hotel that has lead me to not recommend LaJolla Cove Suites for such an occassion.

The guest rooms, which the hotel rents as suites, were a huge disappointment. The condition of these “suites” (no bigger than an average room at a 3 or 4 star hotel in the same city) were dilapidated, shabby and old fashioned. There was nothing romantic nor special about what the hotel considered “the bridal suite”; inclusive kitchenette. What bride wants to cook on her wedding night!?! It was questionable that the appliances even worked. For the price that wedding party and guests paid for their rooms, I must say we all expected better and more modern accommodations.

In working with the management, we found dealing with them (AFTER the contract was signed) frustrating and rather difficult. The reservation was made a year in advance. Over the course of the year the management became increasingly unfriendly, often demanding, and making changes to the original contract without notice. Surprises on the final payment were not something prepared for. Because the hotel management did not work well with the outside vendors who provided the seating, entertainment, food & beverages, the additional stress of these details fell to the bridal party who were all out-of-town guests. Customer Service was definitely lacking. One would think that filling their hotel full of wedding guests the wedding party would receive a bit of special attention and service to make sure the day and evening would run smoothly.

It is a shame that this hotel management does not wish to represent their best nor go beyond their minimum efforts to provide a service worth recommending!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these La Jolla hotels

Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2005

Booked after seeing web-site. Location is beautiful. Booked an oceanview suite and the view was great with excellent access to the beach. Took one look at the suite and immediately gave back the key. To call this a dump would be to insult other dumps. This place is strictly for the college kids. Everything is screwed down. Lamps, pictures, etc. The mini-bedroom is inside.... no windows. Place looks like it was furnished from a Salvation Army used furniture store.

• Stayed August 2004
4 Thank a36pilot
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2005

I am writing this review to express my disappointment in LaJolla Cove Suites and haven't even stayed there yet. If it wasn't for my friend getting married there in August I would cancel my reservations and not visit at all. I made my reservations months ago. The desk representative was very nice as I explained how we would be staying there because of my friends wedding. Months later my friend called me and said we were not on her list from the hotel. When I called back to confirm my reservation, I was listed, however not connected to the wedding party. Supposedly the bride and groom get a rooftop discount for their wedding if so many rooms are booked under the wedding party. The reservation gentleman told me if I wanted to be connected to the wedding party that my room rate was going to go up significantly and my friend would not receive her discount. I asked him if she currently had the discount, and he told me yes, so I asked him what difference did it make if I was "connected" to the wedding party. So we left the reservation alone. Then, I pulled up the hotel's web site and saw a military discount for ocean view suites. There was a link to a coupon. The coupon said it expires June 2006 (It is July 2005 now). When I called to inquire about this, the girl told me the deal ended in April. I explained to her that I just pulled it up on the web-site and it is good through next year. She told me that the hotel was going to be very booked and there wouldn't be any rooms available. Why have this coupon on the site then? How is this rewarding our military employees? And finally, the website offers a hotel discount with a shuttle service for 12.50 per person. When I went to book the transportation, the shuttle company was charging 17.50 per person. I called the shuttle company and explained that the LaJolla Cove Suites website states 12.50 per person, and the shuttle company told me they raised their rates a few months ago. So, needless to say, I am completely dissatisfied with the outdated information on their web-site and unfortunatley I will stay there in August with preconceived notions, so I sure hope the stay is not as bad as the events leading up to my stay. I'll be back to let you know!

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2005

I read several reviews of La Jolla Cove Suites prior to making a reservation. I had high hopes since the reviews were positive. We were surprised by the outdated furniture, rust in the bathroom sink; the expired elevator inspection, lack of hot water in the bathroom sink, stains on the carpet and lack of screen on the balcony door. This hotel reminded me of the beach house I rented while a college student. On our first night we were awakened by a cat in heat but were unable to close the window due to the stuffiness in the room. The bed was below par to say the least. If you are planning a romantic getaway, don't come here. If you are looking for a place to crash, this is just fine.

• Stayed July 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2005

OUr family had a wonderful time at th is hotel. It had everything, of course we rented a full suite which had a full kitchen, a full sized refrigerator, stove and microwave. The kitchen had all the dishes, pots and pans ready for use. It also had a coffee maker and plenty of space for use to bring our own food and prepare our own meals which saved us alot of money! The close space had enough room for all of our beach accessories and luggage! The bathrooms had a full sized bathtub and a stand up shower, and blowdryer. The bedroom had a tv and full sized closet space. It had a ironing board and the room was very big. The kitchen had a bar overlooking the dinning room which was attached to a big sliding glass door with a balconey overlooking the coast line. At sunset it was absolutly beautiful. On sundays they had the, Music at the Shore" Concert which played wondeful music. All we had to do was keep the sliding glass doors open and we had a concert right in our hotel room. We had five people in our room and we had plenty of space. The only draw back??? The pool was located off of the second floor and had alot of stairs to reach the pool. It had no wheelchair accomindations. ON the cove it had no wheelchair ramps to the cove either so it was obviously not a place for people who needed to use a wheelchair. Which was a big draw back for us since a memebe of our group was handicapped. (blind) But other than that we had a wonderful time and will be coming back to visit. Ask for room 132. The full suit. Wonderful room. Also they had a complementary breakfast which also was not wheelchair accessable. Although the breakfast was wonderful and delicious it was a chore to get up to it.

• Stayed August 2004