“Location great - Hotel awful”

La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Chicago
“Location great - Hotel awful”
Reviewed September 18, 2005

Booked after seeing web-site. Location is beautiful. Booked an oceanview suite and the view was great with excellent access to the beach. Took one look at the suite and immediately gave back the key. To call this a dump would be to insult other dumps. This place is strictly for the college kids. Everything is screwed down. Lamps, pictures, etc. The mini-bedroom is inside.... no windows. Place looks like it was furnished from a Salvation Army used furniture store.

• Stayed August 2004
4 Thank a36pilot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Reviewed July 14, 2005

I am writing this review to express my disappointment in LaJolla Cove Suites and haven't even stayed there yet. If it wasn't for my friend getting married there in August I would cancel my reservations and not visit at all. I made my reservations months ago. The desk representative was very nice as I explained how we would be staying there because of my friends wedding. Months later my friend called me and said we were not on her list from the hotel. When I called back to confirm my reservation, I was listed, however not connected to the wedding party. Supposedly the bride and groom get a rooftop discount for their wedding if so many rooms are booked under the wedding party. The reservation gentleman told me if I wanted to be connected to the wedding party that my room rate was going to go up significantly and my friend would not receive her discount. I asked him if she currently had the discount, and he told me yes, so I asked him what difference did it make if I was "connected" to the wedding party. So we left the reservation alone. Then, I pulled up the hotel's web site and saw a military discount for ocean view suites. There was a link to a coupon. The coupon said it expires June 2006 (It is July 2005 now). When I called to inquire about this, the girl told me the deal ended in April. I explained to her that I just pulled it up on the web-site and it is good through next year. She told me that the hotel was going to be very booked and there wouldn't be any rooms available. Why have this coupon on the site then? How is this rewarding our military employees? And finally, the website offers a hotel discount with a shuttle service for 12.50 per person. When I went to book the transportation, the shuttle company was charging 17.50 per person. I called the shuttle company and explained that the LaJolla Cove Suites website states 12.50 per person, and the shuttle company told me they raised their rates a few months ago. So, needless to say, I am completely dissatisfied with the outdated information on their web-site and unfortunatley I will stay there in August with preconceived notions, so I sure hope the stay is not as bad as the events leading up to my stay. I'll be back to let you know!

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these La Jolla hotels

Reviewed July 10, 2005

I read several reviews of La Jolla Cove Suites prior to making a reservation. I had high hopes since the reviews were positive. We were surprised by the outdated furniture, rust in the bathroom sink; the expired elevator inspection, lack of hot water in the bathroom sink, stains on the carpet and lack of screen on the balcony door. This hotel reminded me of the beach house I rented while a college student. On our first night we were awakened by a cat in heat but were unable to close the window due to the stuffiness in the room. The bed was below par to say the least. If you are planning a romantic getaway, don't come here. If you are looking for a place to crash, this is just fine.

• Stayed July 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 23, 2005

OUr family had a wonderful time at th is hotel. It had everything, of course we rented a full suite which had a full kitchen, a full sized refrigerator, stove and microwave. The kitchen had all the dishes, pots and pans ready for use. It also had a coffee maker and plenty of space for use to bring our own food and prepare our own meals which saved us alot of money! The close space had enough room for all of our beach accessories and luggage! The bathrooms had a full sized bathtub and a stand up shower, and blowdryer. The bedroom had a tv and full sized closet space. It had a ironing board and the room was very big. The kitchen had a bar overlooking the dinning room which was attached to a big sliding glass door with a balconey overlooking the coast line. At sunset it was absolutly beautiful. On sundays they had the, Music at the Shore" Concert which played wondeful music. All we had to do was keep the sliding glass doors open and we had a concert right in our hotel room. We had five people in our room and we had plenty of space. The only draw back??? The pool was located off of the second floor and had alot of stairs to reach the pool. It had no wheelchair accomindations. ON the cove it had no wheelchair ramps to the cove either so it was obviously not a place for people who needed to use a wheelchair. Which was a big draw back for us since a memebe of our group was handicapped. (blind) But other than that we had a wonderful time and will be coming back to visit. Ask for room 132. The full suit. Wonderful room. Also they had a complementary breakfast which also was not wheelchair accessable. Although the breakfast was wonderful and delicious it was a chore to get up to it.

• Stayed August 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 3, 2004

Our daughter will be married in the park located across the street from LaJolla Cove.
It's the most beauiful spot. Location, location,
location. Employees at LaJolla Cove have always accomodated our family. The service is wonderful We have been going to Shell Beach or the Cove for 25 years and our childern are carrying on the tradition. You can walk up the hill and shop. Never drive again. If you want new and like to drive, go somewhere else.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 8, 2004

I stayed at the property on 8/8/04 the place was great the "Front Desk" was awesome spoke to Ray he helped me out with directions to places told me the best place to eat. The sun sets from the room was the best. People who complian on this site are crazy and probaly cheap that is why they book the basic hotel room which is basic but if you want a great view go with the ocean front. What would you rater have A/C or the ocean breeze?? I prefer the ocean breeze why else come here. Great place give it a try you will love the front desk staff and the housekeeping people are great everyone treats you like family.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
La Mirada, Ca.
Reviewed July 21, 2004

Spent two nights here in July. The non-ocean view rooms were incredably small with no air conditioning. Upgraded with another couple and stayed in a two bedroom ocean view suite. The view from the third floor was excellent as was the view from the view deck. Housekeeping did not replenish towels or toiletries for one of the bathrooms. After two seperate requests we had to get them from the front desk. Beds and pull-out couch not comfortable. Management knows people will stay there for the wonderful location so not much money is spent on furnishings or amenities. If you stay there, pay the extra for the ocean view as the non-suites are sized like postage stamps.

4 Thank tonytogo
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 278 in San Diego

Been to La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!