“Extremely disappointing week-end get-away”

La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We were in La Jolla for just a week-end for a wedding and the La Jolla Cove Suites was where the reception was held and it was also the wedding hotel where rooms were booked. Upon arrival, I thought I'd arrived at a motel from the 1950's and that thought never went away. Some people call it "retro" in previous reviews. That's being generous. I call it old and outdated and very disappointing for the price. The room was small and while the bed and linens were fine, I wouldn't say it was a nice room. The sliding glass doors to the balcony did yield a gorgeous view of the ocean (it's BEST point) but we wondered why there were small, portable fans going all over the room when we walked in. We turned them off, opened the sliding glass doors and were greeted by the worst smell imaginable. So the choice for the week-end was listening to fans all night, or enjoying the cool not so fresh, smelly air. When we went down to the beach and saw all of the sea lions, we figured out where the smell was coming from. Our bathroom was about the oldest and smallest hotel bathroom I've been in, with sliding glass shower doors that had to be from at least the '50's and with a toilet with an industrial handle to flush. Really? We paid a special wedding rate, that was still about $200/night (probably good for La Jolla) but I would have gladly paid more for a better hotel. If it had been located anywhere other than La Jolla, it couldn't have been rented for more than $49/night. They were sold out the nights we were there (amazing!) so I think they could put a little money into remodeling.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kayteeMilwaukee
Jeannie P, Manager at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

We are very sorry you were disappointed and did not completely enjoy your stay with us. We hope you enjoyed the lovely wedding on the rooftop. Our location is considered the best when visiting La Jolla, as we are only 220 feet from the ocean and the wild life which sometimes results in a natural smell occurring which is what you experienced during your stay. We thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We strive to create a wonderful experience for all of our guests, we are so sorry we fell short in this case.

There are newer reviews for La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites

Reviewed November 17, 2013

This hotel is located directly across from the water, and within walking distance of many excellent shops and restaurants. We could hear the seals bark all night (and smell them also!). The room was reasonably priced for the area, and although certainly not luxurious or even updated, the views from the deck and from the roof were incredible. I would give it 5 stars except for the situation of the decks. The decks for each room are set up so that you could easily see into the room next door when simply standing on your deck. There is a wall of mirrors opposite the bed in the room I was in, and although we had drawn the shades to the deck there was a six inch opening at the end by the mirror and I woke up one morning to see a man from the room next door reflected there, smoking a cigarette. NOT GOOD. Other than that....... Loved it.

Room Tip: ocean view!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We were in an ocean front suite with two rooms facing the parking lot. The view in the living room was one of the best you could have in La Jolla. Even though the bedrooms have no views they were well furnished and clean. The bathrooms were small but functional.

The breakfast was great and offered a wide variety of choices on a terrace with a view of La Jolla cove and the surrounding cliffs.

The staff was kind and attentive.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Note to self: Always – Always check your online reservations and calendar before hitting the I Agree Button! I booked a room for a one night stay at the Hyatt Regency La Jolla. Upon my Saturday check-in the gal at the front desk told me I did not have a reservation for that day but yesterday, Friday… And they were over booked for Saturday night, Yikes! She told me to get in touch with the online booking company I used for assistance. Not to helpful.

After dealing with that and being unsuccessful in finding a hotel or resort within 25 miles of UCSD we went off beaten path of online hotels and resort and found the La Jolla Cove Suites. One of the only places within the area that had rooms available. I think I know why. Upon our arrival the place looked retro with a lot of rooms facing the park/ocean. Pulled into the parking structure ($20 a day) and went to the lobby, updated retro with a friendly staff. The cost with tax and parking was approx. $300 a night. Our room was up the hill a bit and the signage to get there was poor. From the exterior we could tell the hotel was old and in need of some major renovations. We walk into our two bedroom suite and what a funky room, maybe an old apartment? The little kitchenette had metal painted cabinets, an old electric cook top & oven with a small fridge, actually two fridges on was used as a fan stand, weird. There was rust on the expose metal surfaces. The furniture came from the 50’s, 60’s, 90’s and maybe Ikea and didn’t really compliment much. The bathroom were small and the tile and countertops had been painted (looked pretty good actually for paint on tile). The floor needed help as did the shower - spitting into the wind would get you wet faster. We had two outward facing balconies w/sliders and no screens and one bizarre one off the bedroom that went into a boxed in area. You dare not leave a slider open because the smell was so bad from the sea lions poop & ocean mixture, yes, you are that close. Onto greater things! The carpet looked new, the queen beds were comfortable and I have to say if you like it quiet at night this is the room for you. I have NEVER stayed somewhere that is so sound proofed. It was awesome! Personally, I was grateful they were able to accommodate us and I know when I see that 300 dollar bill on my CC statement next month I’ll be kicking myself for the error I made in booking the Hyatt on the wrong date at half the price of this place. No gym or spa but a nice size pool, across the street is a bluff park which was always packed with people and just below the bluff had just as many sea lions & pups. The walk is easy to downtown La Jolla. Don’t let pictures fool you! 2.5 rating

Room Tip: Not sure how to respond to this question.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank rkbzdsa
Jeannie P, Manager at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

We apologize for your disappointment of your visit to both our property and the Cove. Our team appreciates our guests taking the time to share their views with us both positive or not, which allows us to grow and hear ways we can improve. Regarding your comments, we are deeply sorry your room was not to your liking and your experience was not a positive one. We do have a unique property with a variety of accommodation choices of all different sizes. May I suggest if you decide to give us another chance, you try one of our deluxe rooms that have larger bathrooms. Per our reviews the majority of our guests enjoy our breakfast and quaint ambiance, but yes, we understand we are not the choice for everyone. We sincerely hope your next trip to our beautiful area will be more enjoyable for you.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

The suite was quite sizeable with a separate bedroom and a large kitchen/living room. Not the fanciest of rooms but more than adequate since you dont spend much time in it. At arrival lamps failed and the toilet did not flush but that was rapidly resolved by the very helpful and pleasant personnel. The view of the ocean was very impressive so make sure you get that. Balcony very nice also. Best place is the breakfast room at 5th floor. Have it outside while enjoying the activities in front: many people go swimming or diving among the seals right there! Beware of the seagulls, they will steal your breakfast if you go back in to get more stuff.. Also in front is the ocean walkway, in the afternoon/evening the seals bark at one another, a cacophony! All in all a great place. Make sure you get out on the water (kayak, scuba, surfboard) to mingle with the seals and the many many birds.

Room Tip: get a room with ocean view. Go on a kayak trip without guide and you'll find yourself next to sw...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 6, 2013

When we first arrived we were given a terrace room at the back of the hotel. It was horrible! We're not sure if it was really that back dated or whether the hotel were being ironic! After a quick chat with reception, the moved us to an ocean front balcony room which was 100% better!
This hotel has so much potential, it is in an excellent position but needs to do some serious updating. I'm not sure if I would come back to this hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We try to visit La Jolla in October each year. We enjoyed our stay. We appreciate the roomy suite facility and the ocean view. Wouldn't consider staying anywhere else. We arrived just ahead of the Challenged Athletes event and it was a bit of a challenge. The hotel staff went out of their way to accommodate us and to limit the adverse impact on our stay.

The facility is a bit dated, but well maintained.
Another great visit at the La Jolla Cove!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 278 in San Diego
La Jolla Shores Hotel
#11 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!