“Great view, dated but clean property”

La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Overland Park, Kansas
“Great view, dated but clean property”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed two nights in a one bedroom, two queen bed suite. Our room was in the annex, not the main building. It had a larger balcony and from the 4th floor we had a fabulous view. There is a breakfast included on the rooftop terrace and the waffles were a hit with my children. The best part about this property is the location. Cross the street and you are at La Jolla Cove. We kept our sliding glass door opened and could hear the sea lions and birds. We were there for a wedding and the reception was on the rooftop. It was pretty loud but ended at 10pm. We left our carry on bag with three iPads and a Nook when we checked out. When I called the hotel from the airport, they went directly to the room and retrieved the backpack for us.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Susan S, General Manager at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
jocomitchells, your review made our team smile, as we love listening to the sea lions and watching the pelicans fly over the cove putting on quite a show for everyone daily ! Our complimentary continental breakfast is very popular because of the homemade Belgian Waffles we offer, and you are right, they are the biggest hit with our visiting little ones. Voted locally in the past four years as one of the "Top 3" Wedding Venues in San Diego, we are busy hosts on the weekends for weddings but do have a strict time boundary as to not to impact a restful night for all our other guests. Thank you for your kind words, we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Olympia Fields, Illinois
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I recently stayed at La Jolla Cove Suites on Oct 4 for 3 nights and felt compelled to share my review of this property . I rented suite 122 which was right across the street from the cove. After reading some of the reviews I was a little nervous about the property. First, the suite was big, clean and comfortable! The view was outstanding. Yes, you occasionally would get a smell from the cove but guess what? You get the same smell in the village regardless if you are at the Hotel Valencia or dining at Georges or 9-10! Secondly, there was a wedding and they did have ear plugs. Never used them as the party shut down around 11pm. I was also concerned about no AC. I requested AC units for the room and they were there upon arrival. We used them one night and they did they job! The front desk staff is friendly and accommodating. If you are used to the Ritz, this might not be your place. ( I have stayed at many of them). The location could not be any better. This is a cool retro property that I will come back to again. Thanks for the great trip. Mike B Illinois

Room Tip: Try suite 122
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Michael B
Michael B., we appreciate your recognition of our "cool, retro" feeling of our property. We take great pride in the fact this is a family built and owned business since the late 1950's, and was one of the original hotels built here in La Jolla. We offer a unique experience of a vintage property with the closest location in La Jolla to the ocean, the scenic beauty of the southern California coastline, its' natural wildlife and stunning views, great customer service and clean, oversized suites, with balconies only 220 feet from the ocean. We are not for everyone, but for those guests who enjoy relaxing in a "cool, unpretentious" environment we find they return year after year to be with us, and we hope you will too.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This hotel was the last place of our 5 week holiday in USA and sadly we were very disappointed with it The reasons being:
1. Poor customer service upon check -in.The check-in staff did not make us feel welcome and did not try at all to accommodate our early arrival (unlike other hotels throughout our travel who did make an effort)
2. We had 3 days where the shower ceiling leaked water all over the bathroom floor.
3. They would not accept our prepaid credit/debit card upon departure, which meant we had to pay using my husbands AMEX card which costs us an extra $30.00.
4. This was the only hotel who charged us for on-site parking

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of ocean
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Susan S, General Manager at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Judy5794, please accept our apologies for your disappointment of some of our in house polices.
Due to high occupancy the night before you arrived, we were sold out and did not have any available hotel rooms upon your arrival so very early that morning. We strive to accommodate all our guests' requests but occasionally are not able to meet their demands unfortunately. Which also, yes, unfortunately prepaid gift/debit cards we also are not able to take as formal payment, and apologize for that being inconvenient to you. Please know in the future we immediately
address all engineering issues in a guest room if reported, which we would have done, I am sorry we did not have an opportunity to rectify the situation for you. Thank you so much your comments, it allows our team to improve their efforts for our future guests!
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013

excellent location, walking distance to beach and childrens pool. Many restaurants and bars available up the hill on prospect st.
breakfast on the roof with an ocean view,mind the gulls !!
oceanfront view of the sunset...nothing better
refurbished rooms are comfortable and spacious.
been visiting for 15 years,will come again.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Colin A, thank you for your loyal patronage for the past 15 years ! You mentioned all the wonderful things that we get to enjoy everyday here in La Jolla, the walking distance to world class restaurants, shopping, the beach and the majestic La Jolla Cove itself. Having breakfast on the rooftop with the sun waking up the blue pacific ocean every morning, and taking in the sunset from the same location all lend itself to as you stated "relaxing la jolla". We hope to see you for your 16th year this time next year !
Clovis
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Unfortunately, the room right across from our room was full of young people partying throughout the night. I was just about to make a call to complain, but saw that security finally showed up and the noise was finally stopped.
Also, the room wasn't as clean as to what I'm use to when traveling. Needless to say, I will not be returning to your suites.
The one positive comment I would give is the location is nice as far as the view.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Cher K, we take our guests' being able to rest, relax, and get a good night's sleep seriously, so
I am disappointed to learn our security team did not respond in a timely manner for you not to be disturbed. Our Director of Security, Sean, has spoken to his team to ensure they understand the importance of taking immediate action when there is a noise issue that is impacting our guests.
I am pleased you enjoyed our location and our beautiful view, hopefully you will give us another opportunity sometime in the future to be your host again.

Travelers are raving about these La Jolla hotels

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the La Jolla Cove Suites. The room was large with a separate bedroom, living room, and kitchen. The living room opened to a balcony where you could see the La Jolla cove, a phenomenal view. The breakfast in the morning was convenient and in a room on the deck which had more views. This was a great place to stay.

We have a 3 year old and she loved the space to play in the living room while we relaxed.

I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony that has the cove view, I would recommend the annex building.

San Diego
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I made a reservation about 6 weeks in advance for an "Oceanfront Queen Studio Suite". When we arrived we were given a terrace room. I immediately complained that this wasn't what I booked. A room overlooking the deck which had a loud wedding in progress. We could hardly see the ocean-it wasn't even a good room in the terrace section. We were told the hotel was sold out and sorry we couldn't give you another room. We considered leaving and I wish we had. It was no where near satisfactory. When I called several days later and talked to a "manager" she said sorry, you booked the terrace room. I told her I absolutely did not book that room. I live in San Diego, I was there as an ADA Relay volunteer, and I would never just book a room. I have my paper with the conf # and the words "oceanfront queen studio suite". When I reserved it we discussed whether I wanted a room with the bed having the oceanfront view.
Yes, I did get a discount on the room rate but I assumed I was getting what I had asked for. As I said, I live in San Diego, I would have NEVER paid even $150 plus tax and parking for a room like that.
Almost as disappointing, was talking to the manager who seemed to care less.(Cathy???) I wasn't even asking for anything. She blamed me for reserving the wrong room and said "you only paid $150 and that a terrace room is a ?$$$ room". Incorrect and beside the point.

Room Tip: rooms do not look like internet photos. find out if there is a wedding or other party on the terrac...