“Great Stay”

La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel several times, but this visit as exceptional. Our stay was in a deluxe corner one bedroom suite...very roomy and nicely decorated overlooking the ocean. Very close to the Village and within walking distance of everything. The staff were very nice and helpful. Hard to leave the beautiful ocean view! Looking forward to our next stay which will be more than a few days.

Room Tip: Always go with the ocean view!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Susan S, General Manager at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Adro K, thank you so much for choosing to stay with us multiple times, and your nice review. We look forward to your return visit to enjoy the beauty of our ocean views and our ideal location within steps of LaJolla's world class shopping and restaurants. See you soon !

There are newer reviews for La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I had the pleasure of enjoying the weekend at this charming hotel. The moment I arrived, never wanted to leave. My guest room was an adorable room with a kitchenette and balcony overlooking the ocean. I strolled along the beach, walked to the most fabulous restaurants, and shopped at charming stores in the heart of La Jolla. The staff assisted me with recommendations. All I can say is definitely the place to be. Already have reservation for my next trip....

Room Tip: Higher the room, better the view. Make sure to enjoy breakfast on the terrace.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Susan S

Susan S., thank you ! Most of our guests come to relax and enjoy the breathtaking scenery, as well as LaJolla's quaint downtown village known for wonderful shopping and dinning outlets. We also invite you on your next visit, to try out some of our world renown activities of snorkeling, scuba diving, kayaking and even hang-gliding over the Torrey Pines Bluffs! We will be happy to assist you to arrange one of these memorable experiences, so please let us know on your return trip.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

At first I was nervous to book this property because I read some of the previous reviews, but I threw caution to the wind and did it. This place is a diamond in the rough, why would you want to spend more money to be away from the ocean without a balcony is beyond me. Yes, you have to spend a little more for the oceanfront rooms, but why else are you in La Jolla, and yes the smell from the cove was at times overwhelming but that is nature, and does not have anything to do with the quality of the property. Do your research, know what your are booking and go enjoy the sunsets at this place.

Room Tip: We had Ocean front room #407 and it was perfect!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Jacqulyn M, thank you so much for taking the opportunity to stay with us and enjoy the many positives of our quaint property. We appreciate your objective review, and as you found our ocean view rooms and balconies are the closest you can get to overlooking the ocean and the LaJolla Cove itself, if that is your reason for visiting, then this is the place to stay! And yes,
our sunsets from our ocean front rooms and our rooftop are pretty great too :) See you soon!

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Love the cove. My family has been coming to the cove each year for over 40 years. Can't think of any place we would want to stay other then there. Our stay is always made pleasant because of Gus Salles He goes out of his way each year to accommodate all of us and make us feel welcomed. He is one of the reasons we would not think of staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Mimihamann
Susan S, General Manager at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Mimihamann, how wonderful to hear from one of our most loyal guests of the past forty years ! Thank you for sharing with us your kind comments, especially about our very special team member Gus. We are proud to be able to boast about our incredible location, and spectacular views, but executing exemplary guest service is what we take the most pride in delivering for our guests, and Gus is our champion of doing so ! We appreciate you spending your time with us over the years, Gus and all of us look forward to seeing you again next year, thank you.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel over Labor Day weekend, and what an amazing experience it was. When I arrived the Front Desk staff was extremely friendly and more than willing to assist me with all of my requests. It was at night, and they offered to escort me to my room as I was traveling alone. What a nice touch for a female traveler. Once I walked into my room, wow....talk about the wow factor, absolutely beautiful. In the morning I woke up to the most beautiful view of the ocean you can imagine. Taking a stroll along the beach, breathtaking....I enjoyed the morning breakfast and what a ambiance, overlooking the ocean. What an experience....Definitely the place to be.

Room Tip: Ask for a floor higher up - better views of the ocean.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Bets800

Dear Bets800, WOW ! Is the most common adjective we hear from our guests, upon walking into their ocean view rooms overlooking the deep blue of the Pacific and the white water waves breaking at the point of LaJolla Cove. All our ocean view rooms have balconies so you have a front row seat to enjoy the beauty and watch the nature of the area. As you said "definitely the place to be" for the very best experience of beautiful LaJolla.

Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

We have spent family vacations at La Jolla Cove Suites for the past 45 years. Lots of great memories at the Cove.

Rooms have recently been renovated and are very nice.

Fabulous view from ocean front rooms, as well as rooftop where complimentary breakfast is served daily.

Staff is great, in particular Gus who has taken care of arranging accommodations for our family and friends for many years. We have a large group who have been spending August at the cove for years. Gus is in touch with our entire group before we arrive and checks in on us during our stay to make sure everything is up to par during our stay.

We love the La Jolla Cove Suites for its great location to beach, shopping & restaurants.

Nancy
Las Vegas

• Stayed: August 2013
Susan S, General Manager at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Parkchester, we cannot say enough how much we appreciate your forty five years of patronage of the LaJolla Cove Suites, and allowing us to be a part of some very special memories for you and your family all these years. We are so pleased you enjoyed our recent guestroom enhancements and beautiful ocean view rooms.But, what we are most pleased to hear is that Gus is still making you feel special after all these years, as he does with of all our guests! He has been a member of the LaJolla Cove Suite family for 15 years, and we consider ourselves so very lucky to have him. Gus and our whole team looks forward to seeing you next year, please hurry back !

Reviewed September 15, 2013

This hotel has the best location for visiting the cove and the prices are cheap for the area, but it is really an old motel. The room I was in 304 - overlooks the parking lot and it is very dark. I think there must be some with views out front that would make a difference because you would see the beautiful coast. The room was about 12 X 12 feet and with the smallest bathroom I have ever seen. All is very compact but the bed is a full size or maybe a queen. They had a fan going in the room but I did not notice any AC. There is a safe in the in the closet and an ironing board. There is a hairdryer in the bathroom. There was no refrigerator. They give you some plastic cups for water and an ice bucket. There is a nice TV with a lot of channels offered. They have free WiFi and an adequate breakfast (cold items such as breads and cereals, fruit, coffees, waffles, etc.) up on the top floor which has a beautiful view. Across the parking lot is a spa and a pool. The walk back to the pool terrace is amazingly contorted to fit the hillsides in a creative way. Parking is in the garage but there was a wedding going on when I arrived so spaces were very limited. The staff is nice and they let me park in their employee lot, not far. Noise from the wedding went on for some time into the night but probably stopped before midnight.

This is not at all a luxury property and it would need a lot of work to bring it into better condition. However if you want to go for a short time to La Jolla Cove, the location is great.

A note about the area that bothered me but may not bother everyone - the smell of the sea lions in the Cove, which is right near the hotel. I could not tolerate that odor walking on the sidewalk near the Cove. From up top on the view floor where breakfast is served I did not notice the bad odor but right outside the hotel I did. It did not seem to bother some people who were fascinated with the sea life. It also did not reach the water and beach where people swim.

Room Tip: I suggest you check to find out if there are events on that top floor and where your room is located...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Susan S, General Manager at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

suzanochka, thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to LaJolla Cove. We are so pleased our unique property's configuration allows us to offer our guests a variety of accommodation choices. We have quiet, inside courtyard, smaller hotel rooms, that you reserved for your stay, as well as one and two bedroom suites with full kitchenettes overlooking LaJolla Cove and the beach, plus our terrace suites featuring panoramic pacific ocean views. As you experienced, with the best location in LaJolla, we are within feet of the ocean bringing nature to our door step, which is the reason so many of our guests choose to stay with us to enjoy the breathtaking views from their rooms and our rooftop, or walk five minutes across to the cove to watch the lions share their playfulness with us daily, happy you also enjoyed it !

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 278 in San Diego
La Jolla Shores Hotel
#11 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!