“Great view, value, and service!”

La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed at the La Jolla Cove Suites just for one evening April 19. I had read the reviews from previous guests and decided to give it a try. We were looking for a great affordable place to stay in La Jolla, downtown with an ocean view. I had checked rates prior to our stay, but had not booked the room. We are a gay couple from Palm Springs and just wanted an overnight, beach getaway. We spent the day at the beach and decided to check out the hotel and availability. What a pleasant surprise it was. We were greeted by Bianca and Erica, what great personality, service, and accomodating to our ocean view requst of rooms. The room was on the 3rd floor, overlooking the park and the ocean, great balcony, for a nice bottle of champagne! We took advantage of the hot tob, complimentary breakfast (even waffles) and I went to the gym, which was all included! The room was clean, had a kitchenette, and comfortable. We are both pleased that we have found a nice getaway to a great hotel with ocean views that is affordable. We look forward to a repeat visit within a couple of months, whenever we can get away. Thanks again to Bianca and Erika!

Room Tip: Spend the extra $ for an ocean front room!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank MichaelbPalmSprings
Bianca H, Shift Supervisor at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2012

It was a pleasure meeting you both and I was very pleased that I was able to assist you with your room accommodations for your night away from home. I’m delighted that the beautiful ocean view from your balcony along with the bottle of champagne made your overnight beach getaway even better. You both were so very sweet and gracious and it is serving guests such as yourself that makes me love coming into work every day. It was an honor having you stay with us and I am looking forward to having you return as I would love to thank you in person for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your stay here at La Jolla Cove Suites.

There are newer reviews for La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites

Reviewed April 23, 2012

The hotels' decor has clearly not been updated for some time, but we stayed there for a week and it became home. The staff was well-informed and full of good advice, the place was continually patrolled by cleaners, we were within walking distance of great food and interesting shopping, and the view was really too good to be true. We stayed in the cabins in the back of the main building, so it felt like our own private place. Parking was easy and access to the interstate was quick. The kitchen came in handy and with a little more planning, we could have grilled some fresh seafood from the nearby markets on the grills by the pool. The temperatures never made it above 63 while we were there, so we ran the heater when we were in the room during the evening and were still be able to keep the patio doors open. Until the seagulls perched on the patio handrail, that is. Big birds, they are. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank scott216
ljcskmv, Guest Relations Manager at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Dear Scott216,

Thank you so much for the glowing review of our hotel!! It was so nice to hear that you felt so at home and that your room up on our terrace provided you with the amazing views as well as proximity to shopping and restaurants. I hope on your next visit you will be able to take advantage of our BBQ court and try some of our delicious fresh local seafood on the grill! Thank you again for taking the time to post your review and we are looking forward to your next visit to La Jolla Cove Suites!

Reviewed April 13, 2012

What a great find on a great hotel. Big room, great view, great price! easy walking to everything. NICE STAFF. Really very happy to find this place I WILL return, I WILL tell my friends. The more spendy fancy digs are behind us for the most part,and must walk up and down a hill to get to the beach, not us we are off the main street on the quiet park.easy parking too. Older? yes but who cares when you have a million dollar location :) Happy girl

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank CuttingLooseAgain
ljcskmv, Guest Relations Manager at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2012

Dear Cutting Loose Again,

We were so happy to read your enthusiastic review of our hotel! Thank you for taking the time to mention our “NICE STAFF” and beautiful location and also for spreading the word to your friends and family we are so pleased that your stay with us was so memorable! We are looking forward to your next visit to La Jolla Cove Suites!

Reviewed April 5, 2012

This is an older hotel but it is well ran and clean. The staff is friendly and available. I particularly liked that I could park my own car and didn't have to use a bellhop. The location is great with fantastic views and restaurants nearby. The building is constructed of block so noise from other guests is minimal.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank DGBZ
Bianca H, Shift Supervisor at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

The staff here at La Jolla Cove Suites would like to thank you for writing such a wonderful review of our hotel. For every guest that stays at our hotel we put forth our best effort to make their stay as wonderful and pleasant as possible. Yes, our location is great with being a short walk away from the downtown La Jolla area and over 40 different restaurants and shopping boutiques as well as being directly in front of the beautiful La Jolla Cove. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 2, 2012

My husband and I had an ocean view room with balcony on March 31, 2012 for well under $175. The view is remarkable and the location is superb. I doubt there is a better-located ocean view hotel in the area for this price.

The main building was probably built in the 1950's and reflects the smaller bathrooms of that era. The place is very well maintained: recent paint in the stairwells; updated bedspreads, lighting fixtures and furniture. The tiny kitchen was nicely outfitted. The entire property was clean.

What we liked:
+ staff was polite and professional.
+ they allowed us to keep our car onsite for several hours after we checked out (reasonable, considering the $15 daily parking fee). We appreciated this because the La Jolla Concours 'd Elegance, happening in the park across the street, tied up a lot of the area's parking.
+ breakfast included made-to-order waffles.
+ fresh cookies at check in.
+ space heater kept room toasty.

Minor drawback:
+ bed could have been more comfortable, but was not bad.

Room Tip: Only selected buildings have wi-fi. A set of well-lighted, public stairs alongside the property is...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank HvLuggageWillTrvl
Bianca H, Shift Supervisor at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2012

On behalf of everyone here at La Jolla Cove Suites, we would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of our hotel. It was an honor having you here and we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed our made-to-order waffles which is a new item added to our daily complimentary continental breakfast. We are delighted to hear that our goal of providing exemplary 5 Star Customer Service to our guests was met. Thank you again for choosing our hotel and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Can't beat the location -- right across from one of the most spectacular waterfronts in the world!! Seals are on the beach and you can walk up pretty close to them. Make sure you take a walk to the Cave Shop and take the dirt path up hill -- awesome! First I was by myself in a tiny hotel room - adequate except TV reception was bad and there was no heat. They gave me a space heater that blew a fuse. Again, location, location, location. Then my business associate came and we moved to a 2 bedroom suite with two balconies (and while we didn't spend the extra money for ocean view, we could actually see the ocean from the balconies). Adequate enough, however, no TVs in bedrooms (but reception was ok in living room). Again, unable to regulate the room temp -- this time it was very hot -- we just opened the balcony door. Breakfast is included, and it was quite a treat on the rooftop overlooking La Jolla Cove. I didn't feel we missed out by not having a waterfront unit -- we just sat on the rooftop patio in the evening. Out of the many places I have stayed in the San Diego area, this has instantly become my favorite. There is plenty of over night free street parking, however, parking is impossible during the day into early evening. Friendliest staff I have come across in a long time. And it was surprising affordable this time of year.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the "main building".
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Sheli L
ljcskmv, Guest Relations Manager at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

Dear Sheli L,

Thank you for your review! We are so pleased to hear that from our hotel you were able to enjoy the beauty and wonders La Jolla Cove has to offer. We appreciate the feedback regarding your room accommodations we are always happy to hear ways in which we can improve the quality of our guests experience.

Again thank you for choosing La Jolla Cove Suites and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed March 5, 2012

This Hotel is getting a bad rap on these reviews!
I booked the La Jolla Cove Suites and as I was reading these reviews I thought I made a mistake in choosing this hotel. Once I get there some of these reviews do not do this hotel any justice.
The views from the balcony are fantastic. Yes you hear the seals at night barking, but that is not this hotels issue to solve. You are right on the beach you need to expect mother nature from the ocean.
The room was very spacious with a living room and bedroom combination. The bathroom is small, but we didn't plan on staying in the bathroom for the weekend.
This is a older hotel, but they are making updates to keep this hotel modern. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel it is not, but a 3.5 star it is and we had a great weekend at La Jolla Cove Suites.
This will be the first time I have ever written a review of any hotel I have stayed in and I usually try to read these to find a hotel wear ever I stay, but once I got to this hotel I knew I needed to write to let you know this was a very good hotel for us last weekend!
We wil return again and again!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Hockey2710
ljcskmv, Guest Relations Manager at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2012

Dear Hockey 2710,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your very first Trip Advisor review and we are honored that you chose our hotel. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and greatly appreciate your kind and thoughtful comments. I will be sure to share your feedback with our entire staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best regards,

Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 278 in San Diego
La Jolla Shores Hotel
#11 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!