“Great food & view”

Add it.
Bull & Bear
Cuisines: American
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Was specifically looking for somewhere w/ a view for lunch when we were wandering around La Jolla and found this place. I don't know if something has changed since the earlier reviews, but this place was great!

We were seated upstairs with a view of the water. I ordered the foccacia turkey sandwich and my husband ordered the grilled fish tacos. The fish in his tacos was fresh and very tasty and my sandwich was excellent. The bread was incredible and the the turkey and the spread were very flavorful. Most of the items were around $10-15 for lunch.

The service was prompt and my raspberry tea was refilled quickly. I really enjoyed this place and would go back in a minute.

Reviewed September 11, 2011

One of the few places which kept its cool and stayed open when the county wide power was off! They did everything they could to make everyone welcome, kept the beer flowing and produced fabulous snapper and rice to candlelight! When some other establishments were closed because they couldnt ring through what they sold on their tills, radically, the staff here wrote it down for later!! Maybe doesnt have the view of Georges but the welcome was far better and I know who to rely on in the dark so I will support them when the lights stay on too!

Reviewed July 5, 2011

Had a quick lunch here one beautiful afternoon. This is apparently a happening bar at night. Lunch was fine - salad fresh, tasty and reasonbly priced. Service was not the best but not horrible either. Recommended for lunch.

Reviewed April 3, 2011

I would like to start by saying that I have never been moved to write a review for a restaurant. Generally, I am easy to please and find most restaurants to be at a minimum adequate. Unfortunately, my family and I made a bad choice by deciding to go to Bull & Bear. The location is great but that is where the good stops. We only received three of the five items we ordered (and the food wasn't very good) and after approximately 10 minutes had to go find a server to find out what happened. We also ordered a drink that was never delivered. In the end, we just told them to cancel the order for the two missing meals, finished what we had and left as quickly as possible. Don't make the same mistake we did -- go somewhere else.

Reviewed April 11, 2010

We had a party of eight for lunch, including four kids, after the lunch rush on this al fresco balcony overlooking La Jolla cove park. The server was incredibly attentive when we arrived, asked us to wait five minutes so he could cash out a few tables, clear and then consolidate them "in the shade." It gave us a few minutes to wash hands, use the bathroom, and peruse the menu. True to his word, he prepared a fantastic set up for us, with one umbrella strategically placed to shade the whole table. Before our food arrived, a woman with a distinctive apron emblazoned with the phrase "winey [--]", started (with no plan) moving umbrellas and patio heaters around to accommodate newly arriving guests. I note that all the kids can read and promptly noted the woman's apron. The result was that over half our table, including all the kids, were now in full sun. I am all for sharing shade, but she willy nilly moved the umbrellas with utterly no concept of the angle of the sun, no plan to maximize shade from the building, or that she was now inconveniencing a table of 8 who were already seated. It was rather frustrating, the patio ended up with a bizarre configuration and I was very disgruntled. Another weird thing, she did not apologize or give us any notice that she was going to do this, and instead tried to make it seem like we were wrong to try to make it better. Our server was hustling to get our food out and didn't interfere with this strange event. The food arrived quickly and accurately, but was so blah that it is not at all notable. We had burgers, salads, fish and chips, and wraps. The fish was a big triangle of battered fish, a la the Gorton fisherman. I noticed we all scarfed down every last morsel nonetheless. The "winey [--]" returned to chat us up a little, to be friendly, but never apologized. The view was gorgeous, but had we known we were going to get this weird treatment, we would have hastily chosen to eat al fresco downstairs at the Thai Restaurant and foregone the view. Even though I can't recommend the food, I will say it was pretty cheap. And there you go.