“Great ocean kayak”

$40.00*
and up
La Jolla Coast Bike Tour with Downhill Ride from Mt Soledad
More attraction details
Owner description: La Jolla Kayak is a family run business celebrating more than 18 years as the premier ocean exploration outfit in San Diego. Offering fantastic opportunities for adventure on the open sea, La Jolla Kayak caters to tourists and locals alike. Discover by paddle or snorkel the spectacular sea cliffs, Seven Caves and underwater park, renowned to the area. La Jolla Kayak offers guided paddle and snorkel tours with specialized instructors and single or double kayak rentals to discover the sea on your own. Our Mt. Soledad Slide Bike Tour takes you through La Jolla’s most spectacular scenery. And during the warmer months you can swim with the sharks on our guided Leopard Shark Snorkel Adventures. Experience the natural beauty and wonder of the Southern California’s coastline and come away with a new appreciation for ocean kayaking, marine life, and the natural beauty of our underwater world.La Jolla Kayak is located in the heart of the seaside community of La Jolla, California, just 15 minutes north of Downtown San Diego and the SD International Airport. For over a century, La Jolla has been a favorite vacation destination of travelers from all over the world. Boasting Southern California's most beautiful and majestic coastline and the finest weather in the world, La Jolla offers a variety of recreational opportunities.
Redondo Beach
3 attraction reviews
“Great ocean kayak”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Took my 16 year old daughter last Saturday and we had a great time. The sea was choppy so we couldn't get into the caves, but we did get a chance to get up close to the sea lions. I really appreciated all of the information our guides gave us. There was plenty of staff to help the group out through the ocean and staff on hand to rescue the kayaks as we came back in - for those who flipped. Definitely get the cords for glasses - my daughter was fine until we flipped 20 feet from shore coming in and she lost her favorite sunglasses. If you don't want problems parking, go on the earlier tours. We had an 11:00 tour and arrived around 10:20 and had no trouble finding parking on the surrounding streets on Labor Day Saturday. This was our first time ocean kayaking - we usually kayak the rivers of Kauai and we actually found this trip easier than the Wailua River.

Visited September 2012
Michael L, Public Relations Manager at La Jolla Kayak, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We truly appreciate your feedback and your business. We hope to see you again soon.

Destin, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great time (for the fit)”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

My husband and I booked a 2 hour kayak cave tour through LJK. Excellent kayak company--very professional, knowledgeable folks. After reading some of the reviews below, I feel compelled to point out a few things. You shouldn't go kayaking if you can't walk a very brisk mile--you just won't be fit enough for it. If you are fit and enjoy being on the water, then this is the activity and the company for you. Secondly, parking in all of La Jolla is awful...its not this company's fault and yes, you should leave yourself enough time to park. Wear a swimsuit. The company will provide lockers for all your valuables and all the gear you'll need. Our tour guides were fantastic, funny, and made the trip really educational. The price for 2 hours is spot on and I will use them again anytime I want to go kayaking in San Diego.

East Windsor, NJ
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“It was a beautiful day on the water”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

To start, as people have noted, parking is tough, but the website tells you that, so don't factor that into your rating of La Jolla Kayak. I prefer to focus on the fun time we had with Tommy as our guide. We normally kayak on flat water, but the water in the cove is relatively calm and we had no trouble, though the highlight for my wife was riding a wave back into the beach when we were done. Tommy told us about our surroundings, the importance of the preserve and he had some local gossip on the homes and businesses on the shore. We would have liked more time in the caves, but again it wasn't the company's fault that a lot of other people also were waiting to get in. To us, time out on the water in any way is the best way to spend a day, and we really enjoyed our tour.

San Diego, California
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great time”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

For a local is something different and fun to do, the store is easy to find, great people, easy going relax, however the parking is tough, get there early, you may have to park blocks away, but it is a beautiful place for a relax walk.
Bring a change of cloths, you are going to be very wet...and have fun.

South Windsor, Connecticut
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great experience but could have been better.”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We were very excited about our first experience ocean kayaking. We had only been kayaking once on a very calm lake. For starters, the parking in the area is horrible so try to arrive early. We had to go down a side street a few blocks down and park and then walk back to the store. Wear a bathing suit or clothes that can get wet...you WILL get wet just from the waves coming over the kayak. You must wear a life vest and helmet and then you walk down 3 blocks to the beach. Our guide was Taylor and he was very good at getting us into the water without falling out. Ocean kayaking was a lot harder than I expected AND I actually got seasick which I NEVER expected. But as long as I looked at the horizon or where I was heading I was fine. On the way to the caves our guide would stop every 5 - 10 minutes and give us some history or point out some point of interest. We saw tons of leopard sharks even just getting into the kayak in the beginning there were tons of them. When we got to the cliffs and caves it was really cool to see the sea lions. There were at least 25 of them lounging on a big rock and it was really cool to get so close to them. The cave part was disappointing. There was only one little cave we could go into two at a time and there were so many kayakers out that day that we waited almost 40 minutes just to get a turn to go into it. It was cool once we were in the cave and there was one sea lion on a ledge inside the cave. But, after waiting so long to get in the cave I was exhausted on the way back and it was very difficult making our way back. I ended up falling out of the kayak (and it is not easy trying to get back into one in deep water). Our two teenagers did much better than my husband and I. They thought it was really cool and had no trouble paddling. Overall, a good experience but felt it was a little too much waiting around. Also, we forgot to bring towels so had to buy some in one of the stores. We wanted to change out of our wet bathing suits so we could go have lunch. They have changing areas in the store...small but ok.

Visited July 2012