“La Jolla Bike Plunge”

La Jolla Kayak and Snorkel Tour
$40.00*
La Jolla Coast Bike Tour with Downhill Ride from Mt Soledad
More attraction details
Owner description: La Jolla Sea Caves Kayak Tours, Coastal Bike Tours, Surf Lessons, Snorkeling and Hiking Tours. Kayak, Bike and Surf Board Rentals. Two Locations: La Jolla and Mission Bay.
Orlando, Florida
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“La Jolla Bike Plunge”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I recently did the "Bike" portion of the Hike Bike Kayak experience. It was a fabulous experience! Our guide was good....he spent some time on some refreshers of bike riding/safety - especially important as the beginning of the tour was spent on a high speed descent down the hills of La Jolla!

The coast is beautiful and we had lots of opportunity to look at the harbor seals and sea lions and other wildlife/plant life. The guide was very knowledgable on all of these items.

One thing to note although the beginning of the tour was a breeze due to all downhill - there were some aspects that required a little more exertion including some hills and walking the bikes along the cliffs. The guide/group was patient for those of us who needed some extra time though.

This was a unique way to see the area and an all in all good experience.

2 Thank izerdiver32
Dylan E, Public Relations Manager at Hike Bike Kayak San Diego, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thanks for the review. This is actually a great way to help other travelers decide if this is the tour for them. While we don't rate The Plunge Bike Tour as a difficult one, there are indeed some strenuous parts and many people do have to walk their bikes at some points.

I'm very happy to hear you enjoyed the experience and that the guide and wildlife were able to be such an asset to your time with us. It sounds like you might enjoy the Torrey Pines hiking tour a great deal. Hope to see you for that one soon!

Hillsborough, California
“Awesome Experiences with Both Biking and Kayaking”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had a great experience with HikeBikeKayak! One day we rented bikes and the next we came back and took the kayak trip. Equipment is great. Guides are well informed. Everyone who works there is awesome, super friendly and helpful. Plus the coast is beautiful and the sea lions are plentiful (and noisy!). It's incredible to get up so close to the sea lions in the kayaks. You'll remember that for a long time.

We highly recommend both the bikes and the kayaks. Both are great family activities.

Visited April 2013
Dylan E, Guest Relations Manager at Hike Bike Kayak San Diego, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Such a great review! I truly agree the biking and kayaking are premier experiences. We're happy you grooved with the vibe of Hike Bike Kayak so to speak. We happen to be pretty big fans of those big ol' loud sea lions too ;)
Tucson, Arizona
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“AMAZING!!!!”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My group of 4 did the 10:30 AM Sunday tour 2 days ago with Kevin to the La Jolla Sea Caves. This is probably the most amazing tour I've been on. Our guide Kevin was a fountain of information on the wildlife and habitat. I could easily tell that he enjoys & has a passion for what he studies. It was pretty amazing being able to see the animals in their natural habitat instead of at the zoo/aquarium. Don't get me wrong, I love zoos & aquariums but this was a whole different experience. There were tons of pelicans and seals/sea lions, some seemed inquisitive about us. We didn't see any leopard sharks but that may have been because we were too distracted by the sea lions. Plus, they're probably harder to spot than the Garibald fishies, which are neon orange. We even got to see a dolphin in the distance! At first we weren't going to go in the caves because of the waves but it calmed down enough that Kevin let us in one at a time. This is where he went above and beyond --he actually got out of his kayak, put on his flippers, and directed each and every kayak into the cave by pushing and swimming behind. What a work out! Dude is amazing. Especially since my husband and I were like turds in the kayak. We've kayaked plenty previously but for some reason, we couldn't get a good control on our kayaks this time around. In the cave, Kevin gave us a chance to take photos and talked some more about the habitat before pushing us back out. As I mentioned previously, he went ABOVE and BEYOND and I hope he's being paid well for what he does because he is a gem! A couple things to note: 1) my husband and I are both super fit people but there were some moments where my arms felt like they were going to fall off. 2) YOU WILL GET VERY WET. I was going to risk bringing my DSLR camera but was warned not to risk it --especially since there is a chance of flipping the kayak over. I'm so glad I didn't bring it. It wouldn't have survived. They do have disposable water proof cameras for $15 that they sell in store though, which is what I opted to do. 3) If you do the morning tour, parking is not that difficult to find. 4) Not every tour goes into the caves for safety reasons. Obviously the guide cannot control the weather and the ocean, which can change at the last minute. I can't believe the previous bad review whining about not going into the caves. 5) In researching which tour to do, I noticed that HikeBikeKayak had small groups. I'm so glad we went with them. The other tour groups we saw from the other companies were HUGE. HikeBikeKayak's small group policy makes for a more personal experience. If you couldn't tell from the story I just wrote, I'm SO pleased with our tour. We are from Arizona (for now), and do not get to see the ocean very often. HikeBikeKayak made our mini vacation outstanding. Next time we are in San Diego, we will definitely try their other tours!

3 Thank AmericanExpeditioner
Wow, what a review!! Thanks so much. I wish everyone read this reveiw...probably the best and most accurate we've ever had. You truly hit the nail on the head with what we're about. Smaller groups, great guides like Kevin, and a huge focus on all the amazing wildlife and ecology in the area.

We would love to have you back sometime soon. We love folks who value what we strive to be as a company. If you're thinking of beating that Arizona heat this summer...come see us for a snorkeling tour!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Tandem kayaking”
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

We went on the kayak cave tour yesterday. I have kayaked before but Gerry had not. We both had a blast, the conditions couldn't have been better and the guide David was very knowledgeable. Gerry was nervous for a couple reasons one he had never done it and wasn't sure of the safety and two he is afraid of water. David made us feel very safe and gave great instruction for beginners. It's a great day and a great way to see La Jolla from the water.

1 Thank Nancy R
Los Angeles, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not the best experience”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I was not fully satisfied with the kayak tour I took with HikeBikeKayak on April 10, 2013. The major reason are as follows:

-I was unable to accomplish the stated purpose of the tour (View La Jolla Caves, potentially entering one via kayak; viewing kelp beds) due to water conditions not advised of prior to tour.
-Guide withheld potential safety concerns prior to entering the water
-I felt unsafe during portions of the trip due to facets of the guide's attitude towards the kayakers.
-Refund or compensation not offered.

Now, I know you cannot control weather conditions, but having changed my reservation multiple times on advice from those with the company in order to have the opportunity to view the caves, I was quite surprised and disappointed in the water conditions I encountered when I arrived. At no point in registering was I advised of the prohibitive nature of the surf, nor was I offered a reschedule or refund.
While I was pleased with the wildlife knowledge of the guide, and that he wouldn't chance going near the caves due to water conditions, his scornful remarks about the other tour groups and concerns some of our group had about water conditions, his not advising of a potentially dangerous side current as we entered the surf (stating that he "didn't want us thinking about it"), and having him as the only guide who was unable to keep track of the group as we traveled left me with less than the positive experience I had paid for.

Visited April 2013
Dylan E, Guest Relations Manager at Hike Bike Kayak San Diego, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write us the review. We’re always striving to maintain our status as the premier ecotourism outfitter in San Diego, and we take our customers’ reviews to heart. I certainly am regretful that you didn’t have a top notch experience. Safety is, and always will be our top priority. As such we empower our guides to make the best decision about how close to kayak near the rocks and caves as we describe on our website. We rescheduled you three times to give you the best chance for kayaking into the caves, but sadly we depend on wave forecasts to give you our best opinion on when the best time will be. Those forecasts are notoriously inaccurate (even worse than your local weather forecaster) but as you mentioned, our experiences are at the mercy of weather and ocean conditions.

However, we believe the caves are only a small part of our Ecological kayak tour and we run our tours everyday whether we can get into the caves or not. We clearly state on our website that we cannot guarantee that we will get into the caves.

As your guide, Ezekiel, mentioned when he called you the same evening you posted your review, he would gladly take you out again on a private tour, at no charge, to ensure you get the chance to see just how amazing the experience is when the ocean cooperates. We don’t normally offer refunds for not entering the caves are and Ezekiel is offering the private tour at his own expense. He was truly sad you didn’t enjoy your experience. As a company, we are sorry that you did not express your disappointment immediately as we do have Sunny Jim Cave tickets (a sea cave accessible by land) available and would gladly have given you one of those tickets so that you could experience one of the sea caves.

As for the scornful comments towards the other companies, I merely refer you to this video which shows why Ezekiel has concerns about the safety of others not even kayaking with Hike Bike Kayak. It shows what happens when those other companies, with far less experienced guides than Ezekiel’s 10+ years as one of our best guides, misjudge how close they can kayak to the rocks. Please note – none of our kayaks are present in this video.