“The food is excellent, the service today was marginal.”
Review of Bernini's Bistro

Bernini's Bistro
Ranked #38 of 1,242 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

This was our third visit. We have always found it to be a delightful place. Today was no exception in regards to the food (excellent as expected), but the service was very marginal, which seems to be the standard now for most restaurants. Our server (Michelle) was a pleasant young women who seemed to misunderstand the role of the server...to serve. She didn't know what the specials were (there was only one special), she forgot what we ordered and had to come back and ask us again, she charged us $2 to share a side salad, she failed to check on us once our food came so I had to ask a busboy for another glass of wine. Several minutes later Michelle came by to ask which wine I was drinking, then failed to return for about 5 minutes. By then my steak was cold and I was hot. I'm not sure why taking care of customers is so hard these days. I'm not sure if we'll go back again or not.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Husband and I ate here twice on our recent holiday in La Jolla. Food is excellent with plenty of choice and lots of seafood dishes. My husband said the meatballs were the best he had ever had. Restaurant up from the center of La Jolla village and doesn't have the views that the restaurants in he village have but the food is great and the service is excellent. You can sitinside or out and they have live music some evenings.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Fifteen scientists met at Bernini's to celebrate the engagement of a couple and listen to Clyde (also a scientist) play the piano.Everyone ate something delicious. Huge hamburgers were popular ..Bernini's Burger- 1/2 lb. of meat with sauteed mushrooms, grilled onions, tomatoes, lettuce and fries. My husband and I had the Calamari Fritti- a calamari and shrimp platter served with two dips (lemon pesto and cocktail sauce) for an appetizer.I had a Spinach Salad with caramelized walnuts, Gorgonzola cheese, cranberries and mushrooms with a wonderfully light apple pecan dressing . Kim had a Sweet Walnut Salad with greens, cranberries,apples,caramelized walnuts tossed with balsamic vinaigrette.
There is a fairly good selection of wine by the glass and bottle.
The waiters were very attentive to our needs. We arrived a little late and they brought an extra table to add to the three already combined.Someone was always filing our water glasses and offering to bring more wine or beer.The food was hot or cold as required and the atmosphere was perfect for the occasion.
There is a nice selection of food...lamb,chicken, Filet Mignon, trout, salmon, prawns, halibut, pasta,pizza and burgers.. Everything I have eaten has been wonderful except the eggplant dish.I can highly recommend this restaurant.There might be a wait some warm evenings, so reservations should be made during the summer months.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were recommended this place when we couldn't get into The Cottage because it was a 45 minute wait. Well, I am glad the servers there sent us to Bernini's because the service was great, we were seated right away, and got a nice table outside. Coffee was weak but the food was delicious. Order the spinach and brie omelet!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had lunch at Bernini's while sitting outside on the patio. I had the veggie sandwich, which I recommend highly. It is a large sandwich on sourdough with melted cheese, peppers, and veggies of every sort. The sandwich is speared with a toothpick that holds a pickle and pepperocini in place. Yummiest. Patti had a chicken wrap that included most of the same veggies that were on my sandwich. Service was prompt and courteous and beverages were refilled without our asking. The atmosphere is so nice that the grocery store and parking lot across the street were not distractions.