“Best meal in LaJolla!”

Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The dinners at Bernini's Bristo are delicious. I come every summer to visit my brother in San Diego I end up here several times. All of the food is prepared to perfection and tasty. You get so much that you have enough for lunch the next day. I will be back again this summer!!!

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Husband and I got married on Windandsea Beach in La Jolla on a recent Friday afternoon and then had dinner at Bernini's.

It was early on a Friday evening...6pm. Arrived without making a reservation and was seated promptly by a window table. The outside dining looked inviting but unfortunately it was a very cool and rainy day..unusual for the area, so we dined inside. There were a few diners already but many empty tables when we arrived.

I examined the wine menu but decided against a glass for dinner as hubby rarely drinks. It appeared extensive with many high end and affordable choices. Sourdough bread and infused olive oil were brought to the table. It was delicious. Husband has very simple tastes, and even he loved it. He asked for more when the plate was empty.

I ordered a crab cakes with lemon pesto aioli. Hubby shared but avoided the aioli...his aversion to green items, always think they must be good for him. The cakes were cooked properly, tender with plenty of crab and the pesto was a great compliment. Fresh and filling.

Entres of Farfalle Gorgonzola, me and Ribeye, hubby were ordered. The restaurant began filling as we enjoyed the slight rain outside and each others company. The noise level increased with added patron, but not overly so that conversation was interuppted.

Dinner arrived and presentation was inviting. Husband dug right into the medium-rare ribeye and baked potato. Grilled seasonal vegetables came along with the beef, large slices of summer and zuccini squash with tomatoes. He passed these on to me..healthy items again.

The bow tie pasta was properly cooked with tender chunks of chicken and a lovely sauce. A very good choice from other trip advisor reviewers and I highly recommend it.

We would have loved to have tried a dessert but were too full to even share one. I had searched quite a few local places to have our wedding dinner and was not disappointed in my choice of Bernini's. Excellent food, great service and a very good location.

Just a few other notes...street parking only as this is on a street with other shops, restaturants and bars...we had to park about 2 blocks away and walk, but that was not problem. The restaurant bathroom...oddly placed out a back door...exposed to outside elements in what appeared to be a breese way, hubby felt as if he was headed out the fire escape. Not a big deal to me at all, just a little unusual. The only other note is tables may be a bit closer to each other than in other establishments. This is not a big place and ample sized people may feel a bit cramped..I am ultra sensitive to this as my momma was a large lady and loved dining out.

Overall this was an outstanding dinner with fine food, service and my most handsome husband, who is strictly a meat and potatoes man, but enjoyed the exotic items (lol) immensely. Highly recommend Bernini's Bistro.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Might have considered an excellent rating.. except the filet was "good", not great. My wife and I ordered to filets (16 oz, $30). They were cooked perfectly at "medium" and they were huge. I was looking for "melt in your mouth like butter" (Ruth Chris style)... they were very nice.. just not quite perfect. We had a $33 bottle of Malbec which was very nice! Our first two wine choices were suggested by the waiter, only to find "they were out"... not a problem at all.. it was handled very nicely. We lived in Brasil for two years and love Malbec.. so this was not a disappointment... in fact, the bottle turned out to be excellent. The ambiance is wonderful. The clientle was wonderful as well... several patrons spoke to us and welcomed us to a place apparently they frequent often.. nice to see! They seem to be a well know Italian venue.... with very reasonably priced entrees..... however, we were looking for steaks and they did a nice job here as well. Very nice place... give em a try if you're in the area. We are from Scottsdale and were in La Jolla for the PGA tourney.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed in La Jolla the 2nd weekend in January '13. One evening my wife and I both expressed an appetite for Italian food. We used the Urbanspoon app on her iPhone to search for Italian food in La Jolla and Bernini's showed as being the closest. We called ahead to see if a reservation was needed and, though it was a Saturday night at 6pm, they said we wouldn't, provided we arrive soon. As we walked in, we noticed a few tables on the sidewalk that were screened from the street by a row of planter boxes with bushy vegetation providing a good degree of privacy. Temps were too cool for dining outside so we were shown a nice table inside. The tables around us soon filled up. A few specials were described by our waiter and they were tempting but I was set on pasta and something more traditional. I chose the lasgna and my wife farfalle gorgonzola. We shared a salad that was just so-so. It needed a bit more of everything, fruit, nuts, and viniagrette. We're a fan of eating our bread at Italian restaurants with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. We had to ask for the vinegar. It was served in a small bowl with a spoon. It was delicious. We asked the waiter to look at the bottle to tell us the maker. He returned to say it came from a huge container with some non-descript identification. Both our entrees were huge. Neither of us came close to finishing our servings, even with me eating a good portion of my wife's farfalle, which was a far more tasty dish than my lasagna. The farfalle was great; my lasagna just okay. Service was good. We were too full for dessert but vowed to return later during our stay just for dessert. Unfortunately, we never made it back. We'll return to La Jolla in the future but I believe we'll try another Italian restaurant before dining again here.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stopped in for breakfast - no line. Had a wonderful Belgian waffle with fruit, whipped cream, butter and real maple syrup. Great coffee, and fine service, too. I like the atmosphere very much.