“Excellent Steakhouse”

Donovan's Steak and Chop House
Reserve with OpenTable
Donovan's Steak and Chop House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 1,237 Restaurants in La Jolla
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: La Jolla Village Drive at Genesee
Description: Celebrate Restaurant Week all year long! Enjoy a soup or salad, a choice between two special entrees, and your choice of desserts... all for only $45! Donovan's rich and intimate ambiance is enhanced by world-class unobtrusive service and a breathtaking view of the Pacific Ocean. The Chef serves 100% USDA Prime beef 100% of the time. Donovan's wine list of over 700 wines feature the best the world has to offer.
Roseland, New Jersey
“Excellent Steakhouse”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Classic high-end steakhouse. Classy bar and excellent steaks. We came with a regular who loves the place and he was spot-on. Great service.

• Visited January 2014
Jessica B, Guest Relations Manager at Donovan's Steak and Chop House, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Hello Consiller99,

Thanks for your great review! I'm glad to hear that you had such a great time and think so highly of us! Thank you again for your feedback and for your business, it's greatly appreciated and valued. We hope you'll join us again soon!

san diego
“Get ready to be treated like a VIP!!”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

The service was first rate! From the moment I pulled up, I was greeted with complimentary valet parking. My husband and I were dressed up and the hostess was quick to compliment us on our attire. She seemed genuine and sincere. We were seated at a very comfortable booth and were tended to by 2 servers, plus the Maitre D checked on us several times during dinner. I felt like a rock star! The New York steak was one of the best I ever tasted, plus the homemade clam chowder soup was second to none. They are a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. We will definitely be back!

• Visited January 2014
Hello monymony68,

I'm so pleased to hear you had such a 5 star experience with us and that everything was perfect from start to finish! Thank you for your feedback and for your business, it's greatly appreciated and valued. I hope you'll join us again soon!

New York City, New York
“Traditional Steak House, needs some work”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Service was great a few things to improve..., they forgot to give us dishes for the appetizers, so we had to bread plates.. The special of Filet and scallops was not a good value (Menu item) steak was about 5 ozs and two scallops, good thing I was not hungry! The other steaks looked true to size. Creamed spinach was seperating as if the spinach was not dried enough before cooking and seperated from the cream.. Atmosphere was very nice, crowded happy hour..

• Visited October 2013
Jessica B, Guest Relations Manager at Donovan's Steak and Chop House, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Hello JMF521,

I'm sincerely sorry about your experience at our restaurant. Management has been made aware and they are investigating with the servers and Chefs about your concerns. If you'd like to continue this on a more private forum, please feel free to email me (below). Thanks for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you!

San Diego, California
“Top notch service”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Decided to give them a try because of a Groupon and am happy to report that my experience lived up to their fine reputation. Service was on par with the very best restaurants I've been to.

Case in point: Entree's took what seemed like a long time to arrive. I thought it was because I was hungry and we had skipped the appetizers. We were later informed that our steaks had been deemed below standard when they came off the grill and had to be replaced. As a result of the delay, the manager gave us complimentary desserts in addition to his personal apology.

Food was very good and dessert was excellent.

So Donovan's is a bit of a splurge. However, I feel that the premium helps the staff to hold themselves to very highest standards of service and food preparation. They definitely earned it during my last experience.

• Visited October 2013
Jessica B, Guest Relations Manager at Donovan's Steak and Chop House, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Hello localboy858,

Thank you so much for the kind review! I'm so happy to hear that they took such excellent care of you and that the problem was fixed with such sincerity. Thank you again for the feedback and for your business, it's greatly appreciated and valued. I hope you'll join us again soon!

Escondido, California
“Lost Reservation”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Even though my reservation was lost and it was a extremely busy night, not only were we seated but seated at our reserved time. The meal was excellent and service beyond expectations, both the front desk and wait staff.

• Visited October 2013
Jessica B, Guest Relations Manager at Donovan's Steak and Chop House, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hello Mike,

Thank you for the great review! I am sorry your reservation was lost but that you were quickly accommodated and that everything was absolutely perfect. Thank you for your feedback and for you business, it's greatly appreciated and valued. I hope you'll visit us again soon!