“Excellent Steak and Chop House”

Donovan's Steak and Chop House
Reserve with OpenTable
Donovan's Steak and Chop House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 1,234 Restaurants in La Jolla
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: La Jolla Village Drive at Genesee
Description: Celebrate Restaurant Week all year long! Enjoy a soup or salad, a choice between two special entrees, and your choice of desserts... all for only $45! Donovan's rich and intimate ambiance is enhanced by world-class unobtrusive service and a breathtaking view of the Pacific Ocean. The Chef serves 100% USDA Prime beef 100% of the time. Donovan's wine list of over 700 wines feature the best the world has to offer.
Reviewed September 20, 2013

My wife and I had dinner (during restaurant week) at Donovan's. This was not our first experience here and it won't be the last. The décor is typical of what you'd expect in an upscale steakhouse. We had our cocktails in the bar area during the ten-minute wait for our table (we had arrived about ten minutes early). The bar staff was courteous, prompt and professional. The bar area is on the noisy side, about what you'd expect in a place where people were having fun and enjoying themselves. Their menu is extensive and pricey (also what you'd expect). The specials that night included a big chop and an Australian lobster tail (both in the $70 range). My wife opted for the seared Ahi ($40) and I had the rib eye steak ($51). Both were done exactly as ordered and the presentation was great. Jonathan, our server, and his cohorts were attentive to our needs without smothering. We also had a side of creamed spinach and it was delicious. Neither of us could finish our entrees and they returned our take-home items in a nice bag discreetly set down next to my chair. Each item was in a separate closed container; a very nice touch. All in all it was a thoroughly enjoyable dinner experience although the noise level in the dining room area where we were was a bit on the high side; a very minor note.

Jessica B, Guest Relations Manager at Donovan's Steak and Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Hello Gordonc11,

Thank you very much for your kind review! I'm very pleased to hear that you received such great service and that you and your wife enjoyed your meals from start to finish. Thank you again for your feedback and for your business, it's greatly valued and appreciated. I hope you'll join us again soon!

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We dined at Donovan's with a large group having made reservations ahead of time. Some of us ordered off the menu and some got group appetizers. Every step of our meal was carefully attended to. The seating staff and wait staff were so very attentive and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. Everyone in our group was so pleased with their food and the service we received. Donovan's is a very special place, An added bonus is that Donovan's has a van that can accomodate larger groups to shuttle you back and forth from hotels. We used this service, and it was a great way to go. That way you can enjoy the wonderful wines on the extensive list and all the other drinks available and not worry about driving back to your hotel.

Jessica B, Guest Relations Manager at Donovan's Steak and Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Hello GollliniMom,

I'd just like to thank you for your positive review. I'm very pleased to hear that you and your group had such an amazing time at our restaurant and that the staff took excellent care of you from start to finish. I'm also very glad you took advantage of our Donovan! Thank you again for your feedback and your business, it's greatly valued and appreciated. I hope you'll join us on your next trip!

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Went and had dinner in the bar as a solo diner when out of town on business. The service was great. I ordered the filet with a side of Bernaise in case it really wasn't that good (we've all had those steaks in high-end places). Well, the steak turned out to be one of the best I've had. Didn't need the sauce at all. Sides were all well cooked and properly warm. Really no complaints at all. Front guy also came over to see if I wanted a different table with better light to read by.

I would definitely go back when in the area.

Jessica B, Guest Relations Manager at Donovan's Steak and Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Hello PatriotDad,

I'd like to take a moment to thank you for your kind review. I'm very pleased the staff made your evening memorable and that the food was the best you've had! Thanks again for the positive feedback and your business, it's greatly appreciated and valued. I hope you'll visit us on your next trip soon!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We were on vacation in California and had a chance to eat at Donovan's. I have to say this was the most tender steak I have ever had. I had the 8oz. filet mignon and my wife had the 24oz bone in prime rib.

The staff was extremely efficient without being smothering. I would recommend this resturant to anyone looking for an place for a special occasion.

Jessica B, Guest Relations Manager at Donovan's Steak and Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Hello r2r12,

I'd just like to take a moment to thank you for your kind feedback of your visit to our restaurant. I'm very glad you had such a great time and enjoyed the food. I'm also very pleased that your birthday dinner was fabulous! Thank you again for your feedback and business and I hope you'll join us again on your next trip!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My teenage son and I visited Donovan's while on vacation in San Diego. He wanted to go to a fancy steakhouse and I picked Donovan's. I am sooo glad I did! My son had the 24 oz bone-in ribeye and I'm pretty sure if I had let him he would have gnawed every last bit of meat off that bone. I had the boneless ribeye and it was the best steak I have ever had anywhere and we eat a lot of steak. It was tender, cooked perfectly (which I have found many restaurants cannot do), and absolutely delicious. The service was fantastic, just what you would expect from a high-end restaurant like this. I also highly recommend the chocolate brownie for dessert. While the crème brulee was good, the brownie with warm chocolate sauce and ice cream was to die for. I wish we lived closer because I would definitely visit Donovan's again.

Jessica B, Guest Relations Manager at Donovan's Steak and Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Hello Dillyma,

I noticed you've reviewed us in a few different places and I'd just like to say THANK YOU! I'm so glad to know that your experience was so great and that you're spreading the word. Thanks again and I hope you'll visit us on your next trip!