“Not worth the $$$”

Donovan's Steak and Chop House
Reserve with OpenTable
Donovan's Steak and Chop House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 1,238 Restaurants in La Jolla
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: La Jolla Village Drive at Genesee
Description: Celebrate Restaurant Week all year long! Enjoy a soup or salad, a choice between two special entrees, and your choice of desserts... all for only $45! Donovan's rich and intimate ambiance is enhanced by world-class unobtrusive service and a breathtaking view of the Pacific Ocean. The Chef serves 100% USDA Prime beef 100% of the time. Donovan's wine list of over 700 wines feature the best the world has to offer.
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I struggled to find "good food" let alone excellent food on our recent trip to San Diego. After reading many reviews and different websites we chose Donovan's based upon their purported reputation. We arrived to be seated at a tiny table near the emergency entrance, given that it was Saturday night and we are two smaller size people we chose to overlook this, my husband ordered his twin filet medallions medium and I my 6 oz filet med. rare, his medallions looked identical to my steak when cut open, he sent it back, while we waited a good 10-15 minutes for it to return overcooked - well done to say the least. In the mean time our waiter became non-existent not wanting to endure the unpleasantness of the situation. The manager came over and offered to cook my husband another steak, which we said no, after the desert of pure chocolate ganache - no cake just ganache, the manager returned with a filet in a doggy bag. We explained that we were visiting really did not want to take anything back to the hotel, they did credit it us for my husband's meal but still a very disappointing choice to say the least.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

The mat at the entrance read's "America's Best Steakhouse," but I don't think it's even close. The steak was well prepared, but the "smashed garlic potatoes" had a densly unpleasant texture.
The service was also very slow. We had a group dinner here on Valentine's Day and the place seemed under-staffed. We waited 15 minutes to have our order taken and 45 minutes more for salad. That's simply bad management. The fact that they gave all the women in the group a rose did not make up for dragging out the dinner service.

Given the number of steak and chop restaurants in the U.S, this place is not in the top 25%. Several chain style places (e.g., Capitol Grill or Mortons) do far better service with at least as good a steak.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband had a very nice rack of lamb and I had wonderfully prepared salmon-even though the waiter did not seems to know if it was farmed or wild. We had a $110 bottle of wine-very nice but terribly over-priced. We asked it be decanted. After that, we had to ask every time for it to be poured-by a busboy because the waiter was busy taking orders-and taking very long doing so. In other words, if you go there, you will have lovely food but you may be disappointed in the service (which I certainly would not expect for the prices).

Reviewed January 29, 2013

For the cost I thought it was one of the greatest restaurants I ate at during my stay in San Diego. Go here if you want to have a filet cooked the right way.

1  Thank Nicole F
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Only reason for a 4 rating as opposed to a 5 is the price! The Food warrents the huge price but for the average Joe like me that only can afford to eat their on special occasions...the prices are way out of the box for me. $30.00 - $40.00 steaks plus more for sides and everything else is too much! No matter how great the steak! But make no mistake...They have the best steaks anywhere ...period!!!!

Been to Donovan's Steak and Chop House? Share your experiences!