“Culinary treasure by the sea!”
Review of The Steakhouse at Azul La Jolla - CLOSED

The Steakhouse at Azul La Jolla
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Located on fashionable Prospect Street, tucked in alongside La Jolla's most exclusive shops, boutiques and galleries, The Steakhouse at Azul La Jolla is La Jolla village's premier ocean-view steakhouse. The Steakhouse at Azul La Jolla serves 100% USDA prime-aged steaks, chops, poultry and a variety of fresh seafood. Outdoors, a garden courtyard patio features starlight dining around a contemporary glass-encircled fire ring. A casual patio menu is available, with amazing Happy Hour specials offered daily. $7 drinks, $1 off all beers, and a variety of food items for $10 or less. Indoors, floor-to-ceiling windows shamelessly reveal why The Steakhouse at Azul La Jolla was voted best in its class. An intimate private Wine Room is glass-surrounded, insuring unobstructed views of the Pacific Coastline.
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This place was a complete surprise to my work group of 5. After not being able to secure a reservation at Flemings Steakhouse our concierge told us about this little gem and we were lucky to heed the advice. Food was fantastic and the views were breathtaking. A new favorite for future stops in La Jolla!

There are newer reviews for The Steakhouse at Azul La Jolla

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I went to Steakhouse at Azul on the recommendation of the concierge at my hotel. I won't be a repeat customer.

The restaurant has a very nice, cozy interior with huge windows overlooking the ... fog, on the night I visited. I imagine that in nice weather the view would be gorgeous. The room has a selection of comfortable booths and tables, well-spaced, and a nice, low-key atmosphere.

Service was professional and friendly, from the hostess to the waiter to the bus help. Timing of the meals was perhaps a bit rushed.

Drinks were on the high side of medium, but the Julian Apple Martini that I had was delicious. There was an excellent selection of wines available, with plenty of choices by the glass and a fair number of half bottles. I chose a cabernet sauvignon suggested by the waiter, and it turned out to be an excellent, if slightly pricey, choice.

So why only three stars? Well, the food. Delicious bread, fresh and tasty oysters with a variety of sauces to choose from, followed by the worst prime rib I have had in a long time. Now, I am a prime rib fanatic, and it is my favorite dish. Azul's prime rib was A) definitely NOT the 20 ounce cut that was advertised (I would guess about 12 - 14 ounces, which at $42 is quite a rip off), and B) terribly spiced. Somebody needs to tell the chef that a little bit of spices such as rosemary and thyme go a long way - you don't need to pour an entire jar full on the roast! The seasoning completely overpowered the taste of the meat and, in my opinion, ruined it.

Perhaps some of the other choices on the menu are good. I won't be coming back to find out.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Our best meal while we were in town. Loved the staff & cocktails they served. Excellent fish & seafood selections & steak for those who eat meat. Love it!!

Reviewed October 27, 2012

We first tried Azul a few years ago. I took my husband there for his birthday. Even though we were in a booth on the back wall we had a beautiful view of the sunset. We've been there since, for my birthday and twice for our Anniversary. Our first visit we had the happy accident of getting Justin for a server and since then have always made a point of asking for him. And he always remembers us. As a whole, the restaurant is beautiful and upscale, but not pretentious. We always ask for one of the comfy, romantic booths. Although this is called a steakhouse, the seafood is equally good. We have tried most of the appetizers. My fave is the shrimp cocktail. The shrimp are enormous and delicious. My husband loves the French onion soup. The Saint Andre Fromage served warm with honey bacon & garlic crostini is delicious, sweet AND savory. A perfect accompaniment to a cocktail. And the crab cake is chock full of....crab. We tend to share everything so between the 2 of us over time, we've had the veal chop, scallops, lobster, ribeye, filet, pork chop, and NY strip. Everything was always delicious. My favorite sides are the bacon-chive Mac and Cheese and the Sage potatoes gratin. On top of all this they offer SAUCES! A sampling of which we always get on the side. I'm a dipper. I love to dip! All of the sauces are delicious and some are unusual, but my favorite is the good old Bernaise. Hardly anyone serves it any more, so its a special treat. Azul is our go-to place for special occasions. However, incredible food is nothing without a good server. Justin is amazing. He orchestrates our meal so that dining here is an experience, not just eating. He, as much as the food is what keeps us coming back. He is incredibly knowledgeable about the food and the wine and always has an extra interesting bit of info or personal experience about where a certain food comes from or a vineyard he's been to. He is friendly while remaining extremely professional. The last time we were there he gave us delicious and beautifully decorated desserts for our anniversary.....Carrot cake and Chocolate mousse cake. There are so many other incredible restaurants in La Jolla, we know we should try them (and some we have) but we just can't help ourselves. The experience at Azul s always perfect. And now after reading some of the other reviews, I think we're going to try the happy hour too. Well, at least we'll be expanding our horizons....to other parts of the restaurant. :-)

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Other reviewers have pointed this out, but I would like to echo it: get Judy to be your server! She is amazing and helped make our night what it was.
Knowing nothing about this restaurant, we wandered in off the street and asked for a table. We got a booth over looking the ocean and soon Judy was there at our side. We asked question after question about the menu, being fairly new to such an extensive menu, and she helped us through it with genuine friendliness and great insight. In the end she helped recommend a steak for me based on what I liked. My word - she was so right.
The steaks (Kansas Strip for me and Ribeye for my partner) were the best we had ever tasted. They were cooked to perfection and had a flavour that knocked your socks off.
The diners at a near by table shared the reasons they kept coming coming back, which boiled down to the great location, service and amazing food. Who could disagree?
The desserts we had were equally good, topping off what had been a wondrous dining experience.
Azul's was a find and a half. Not cheap, but so well worth the money. Having left La Jolla to go to NYC and tried the steaks there, I can say with great satisfaction that Azul's retains the crown - for service and food.
This place is wonderful and I can't wait to return.